Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
How many countries where they have taken guns away did not end up with losing other freedoms? The 2nd amendment is exactly that, to keep government in check.
And it was the militia that fought against the ruling government. You're right they did not intend it to be individual ownerships, but as a part of a trained group.

Quite inaccurate:

The History of Gun Rights in America: A Timeline of the 2nd Amendment

https://thefederalist.com/2018/11/29/second-amendment-always-individual-right/

District of Columbia v. Heller - Wikipedia

That's why the second amendment specifically calls for a militia. It never was about individual gun ownership.

The 2nd amendments operative clause says "the people." The prefatory clause states that a militia is necessary to a free state.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,191,120.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
How many countries where they have taken guns away did not end up with losing other freedoms?

What other freedoms have the Australians lost in the 23 years since the tightening of their gun laws after the Port Arthur massacre?

Upvote 0

Paulos23

Never tell me the odds!
Mar 23, 2005
Washington State
✟311,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nope, this is not acceptable. Why do I need to lock up my guns when they are on my property? That's too restrictive. When you need a gun in seconds, is not the time to be fumbling with a lock.
Based on personal experience as well as friends, if you don't lock up your guns they tend to get used against you in a break in, are not always in a reachable place (seconds remember), and wee ones tend to play with them if they find them.

Having them locked away in a safe is safer. And there are safes that open quickly and can be hidden in plain sight. There are better options then just leaving a gun in every drawer in the house.

And there is nothing stopping you from wearing one on you while you are home....

• Agree
Reactions: 98cwitr
Upvote 0

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
And who makes up a militia , other than the people?

Who makes up "the people", outside of a militia?

If we were still under the Articles of Confederation, and not the Constitution, you'd be absolutely right.

edit: to add

Patrick Henry argued against ratification of the Constitution by Virginia, in part because the Constitution permitted a standing army and gave the federal government some control over the militia.142 Henry objected to the lack of any clause forbidding disarmament of individual citizens; "the great object is that every man be armed .... Everyone who is able may have a gun."143 The Antifederalists believed that governmental tyranny was the primary evil against which the people had to defend in creating a new Constitution. To preserve individual rights against such tyranny, the Antifederalists argued for the addition of a Bill of Rights which included, among other rights, the right to keep and bear arms.144

https://www.constitution.org/2ll/2ndschol/89vand.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,558.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Nope, this is not acceptable. Why do I need to lock up my guns when they are on my property? That's too restrictive. When you need a gun in seconds, is not the time to be fumbling with a lock.

Where do you live that you require access to your firearms at a moments notice?

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟109,662.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
There is a huge push for more gun control, and the result is a huge push-back from the progun folks opposing more restrictions. As bipartisan support is gained for magazine bans and red flag laws, I think we are the precipice of something quite dire. So, as my words are most likely to fall on deaf ears (my representatives don't listen), I figured I'd at least share here to gauge how far off base I may be. Let me issue my own disclaimer that I am very much progun and want all law-abiding citizens to retain their inalienable right to keep and bear arms.

Proposal:

1. Institute a national licensing model. This model could be rolled into national identity systems, controlled by the states, such as state-issued ID cards; or even federally via SS. Either way, the following requirements to obtain and purchase a firearm, either from an FFL or privately would be as follows
a. Firearms proficiency class and training. You must know how to use a firearm and how to store it safely.
b. Criminal background check. No person convicted of a violent felony shall be allowed to own a firearm.

2. Safe storage law: When not being carried/bore by a person, all firearms must be kept in a locked and secured container. Such containers that would provide access-at-the-ready, but also reasonably deter theft or unauthorized access.

To accept such a proposal, I would demand the following:

1. Repeal the NFA of 1934, including the further provisions of 1986.

2. Repeal the GCA of 1968

3. Institute Constitutional Carry in all states and territories

4. Mandate that there shall never be a gun registry, and that possessing a firearm license in no way insinuates that you are actually a firearm owner.

---

The above satisfies the intent, but to a greater degree, that ATF form 4473 seeks, but also ensures that theft, the leading cause of illegal firearm acquisition, is reasonably prevented. It ensures that, reasonably, only law-abiding citizens possess firearms.

1a is an infringement of a Constitutional right. Lots of women who are victims of DV don't have the time to fulfill such requirements in order to protect themselves and their children.
Data shows that even people who have never fired a gun before have successfully defended themselves with a gun. Yes, training is ideal but owning a firearm shouldn't be contingent upon it.
1b won't stop a single gun crime. Since when do criminals care about what the law says? You already have to pass a background check in most states to purchase a firearm or get a CCL. How well has that worked?

• Agree
Reactions: renniks
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
1a is an infringement of a Constitutional right. Lots of women who are victims of DV don't have the time to fulfill such requirements in order to protect themselves and their children.
Data shows that even people who have never fired a gun before have successfully defended themselves with a gun. Yes, training is ideal but owning a firearm shouldn't be contingent upon it.
1b won't stop a single gun crime. Since when do criminals care about what the law says? You already have to pass a background check in most states to purchase a firearm or get a CCL. How well has that worked?

Examine if you will; how do criminals come to possess firearms?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Hence my secured storage clause. It's a must. I've been a victim of home break-ins when I was younger; four total. As a result, 2 pistols and a shotgun ended up on the streets. Only one was ever recovered (after a drug bust 3 years later) to my knowledge. They were all unsecured and we did not own a safe. Every single gun owner should be responsible enough to own a safe and keep their guns secured, especially if you have children in the home. If you can't afford a safe, you might wanna consider that before buying a gun.

• Agree
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I feel very sorry for you that you have to live in a country where death is around every corner.

I do hope you manage to flee to a more civilized place one day.

I did flee from a dangerous place (greater San Francisco) to a civilized place (rural California).

I now live in a wonderful area, and have lived in many others, but evil people are everywhere;
It's only a matter of numbers.

Upvote 0

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I did flee from a dangerous place (greater San Francisco) to a civilized place (rural California).

I now live in a wonderful area, and have lived in many others, but evil people are everywhere;
It's only a matter of numbers.

I'm glad to hear that. I also live in a wonderful area and not once in my life was there ever a situation where I would have wished for a gun.

Probably for the best anyway. The chance that I would use the gun on myself is much higher than I would use it to shoot someone else.

Upvote 0

Darkhorse

just horsing around
Aug 10, 2005
mid-Atlantic
Visit site
✟288,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm glad to hear that. I also live in a wonderful area and not once in my life was there ever a situation where I would have wished for a gun.

Probably for the best anyway. The chance that I would use the gun on myself is much higher than I would use it to shoot someone else.

Not having a gun sounds like a very wise decision for you.

And I sincerely hope that your safe life continues to be safe.

Last edited:
  • Friendly
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0