Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Are those registrations universal and turned into a governing body, or kept by your person and for your person in the event they're needed?
They are in the relevant DMV data base.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
They are in the relevant DMV data base.

That's after the sale and you've turned in the tag. Ive never turned in a bill of sale for example to the DMV though. So again, if you sell me your car and then I go mow down a crowd of people, are you liable?

Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's after the sale and you've turned in the tag. Ive never turned in a bill of sale for example to the DMV though.

Who a vehicle is registered to is in a database. Should I worry about my truck being taken because the records of its registration and taxes are electronic?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That's after the sale and you've turned in the tag. Ive never turned in a bill of sale for example to the DMV though. So again, if you sell me your car and then I go mow down a crowd of people, are you liable?

You may actually be liable if you tell the person not to mow people down with the car. In a world of rebellious contrarians the court may find that by just mentioning it you goaded the person into doing it... all part of the pc world.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What state do you live in? Can you really transfer title without the state being in on it?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
What state do you live in? Can you really transfer title without the state being in on it?

I mean you can sign the title over to me, take my money, and I sign a bill of sale stating I am now in possession of the vehicle; but this is of little concern to me if my intentions are malicious.

I know I'm asking @Desk trauma this question in an almost rhetorical fashion at this point, and the obvious answer is that no, he is not responsible for my actions with whatever property I have now taken lawful possession of. That said, if @Desk trauma decided to leave his car unlocked and running, and I steal it and mow a bunch of people down with it, and there's a law that says he is responsible for securing his vehicle at all times when he's not driving it, then he could be held negligent. Make sense?

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I mean you can sign the title over to me, take my money, and I sign a bill of sale stating I am now in possession of the vehicle; but this is of little concern to me if my intentions are malicious.

I know I'm asking @Desk trauma this question in an almost rhetorical fashion at this point, and the obvious answer is that no, he is not responsible for my actions with whatever property I have now taken lawful possession of.
I don't think anyone has disputed that point.

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Grandma told me to learn from others mistakes, rather than my own.

So it has never happened here but you are afraid of it in any case? It seems to me you are losing a very effective tool due to irrational fear rather then caution. That strikes me as an issue with your proposal. :wave:

Upvote 0

jardiniere

Oct 14, 2006
✟152,266.00
Faith
Pantheist
Not so fast, there. In the minds of our wanna-be Minute Men it's always the Real Americans resisting the tyranny of the Left, and everybody knows that liberals don't own guns.

Ha. I've been shooting rifles and pistols since I was 8. I'm liberal (at this point in time, anyway).

The suggestions are good, but I would register firearms and, like in owning cars, require insurance. Penalties should be about as severe as that in the licensing of autos, confiscation, fines, removal of license.

Last edited:
Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Skreeper

Jan 30, 2017
Germany
✟91,021.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Doesn't give them even equal power to the military. It does though give them a fighting chance in the event the government attempts tyranny.

Let's count the amount of times throughout history an armed civil population had a fighting chance against a government that turned tyrannical:

1. "Data not available"

Yikes.

Let's count the amount of times throughout history the majority of the military chose to fight for the people instead of following orders of the tyrannical government:

1. "Data not available"

Double yikes.

Reactions: Sparagmos
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Let's count the amount of times throughout history an armed civil population had a fighting chance against a government that turned tyrannical:

1. "Data not available"

Yikes.

Let's count the amount of times throughout history the majority of the military chose to fight for the people instead of following orders of the tyrannical government:

1. "Data not available"

Double yikes.

1. American Revolution

2. French Revolution

3. Irish Rebellion of 1641

I can keep going....

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
1. American Revolution

2. French Revolution

3. Irish Rebellion of 1641

I can keep going....
In the case of the American Revolution, armed and at least minimally trained civilian militias already existed. The French revolutionaries fought as militias armed from government stockpiles. The reason the French stormed the Bastille was because it was an armory and they wanted the guns and ammunition. Such few participants in the Irish Rebellion who bore arms were given them by their leaders.

You can keep going if you want, but I doubt you will find a good example of untrained and unorganized private citizen gun owners suddenly coalescing into an effective revolutionary force.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So it has never happened here but you are afraid of it in any case? It seems to me you are losing a very effective tool due to irrational fear rather then caution. That strikes me as an issue with your proposal. :wave:

It's happened plenty of times, but Americans, learning from the errors and evils of the past, ensured that our Bill of Rights included an enumeration of inalienable rights to prevent tyranny from usurping liberty without armed resistance.

• Winner
Reactions: LostMarbels
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
It's happened plenty of times, but Americans, learning from the errors and evils of the past, ensured that our Bill of Rights included an enumeration of inalienable rights to prevent tyranny from usurping liberty without armed resistance.

If it is ensured in the bill of rights then there is no need to worry about confiscation. As I said, It seems to me you are losing a very effective tool due to irrational fear.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Ricky M

Site Supporter
Apr 19, 2017
Los Angeles
✟130,544.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What they had in mind was a force of citizen soldiers--the "well-regulated militia." Ownership of guns in secret from the government was not contemplated. And if, in fact, registered ownership led to an attempted confiscation it could not as a practical matter be accomplished with all gun owners simultaneously, giving the rest time to organize some kind of response.
And it was the militia that fought against the ruling government. You're right they did not intend it to be individual ownerships, but as a part of a trained group.
Be that as it may US civilians with small arms overthrowing the government is a fantasy.
That's why the second amendment specifically calls for a militia. It never was about individual gun ownership.

• Agree
Reactions: Belk
Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
2. Safe storage law: When not being carried/bore by a person, all firearms must be kept in a locked and secured container. Such containers that would provide access-at-the-ready, but also reasonably deter theft or unauthorized access
Nope, this is not acceptable. Why do I need to lock up my guns when they are on my property? That's too restrictive. When you need a gun in seconds, is not the time to be fumbling with a lock.

Upvote 0

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But 98 does have a point, the second amendment was written by people who had just fought a shooting war against a government that had turned oppressive and unresponsive. It's hard to imagine that was not the scenario they had in mind while writing the amendment.
How many countries where they have taken guns away did not end up with losing other freedoms? The 2nd amendment is exactly that, to keep government in check.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Nope, this is not acceptable. Why do I need to lock up my guns when they are on my property? That's too restrictive. When you need a gun in seconds, is not the time to be fumbling with a lock.

Biometrics solves that. You lock them up because the least of us have kids running around; and if someone breaks into your home without you there then the guns are unsecured and easily fall into the hands of criminals.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Front row at the dumpster fire of the republic
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,190,433.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nope, this is not acceptable. Why do I need to lock up my guns when they are on my property?

Basic safety and security.

That's too restrictive. When you need a gun in seconds, is not the time to be fumbling with a lock.
That's why biometric gun safes exist.

Upvote 0