My Proposal for alleviating United States Firearm issues

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟492,444.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
Not so fast, there. In the minds of our wanna-be Minute Men it's always the Real Americans resisting the tyranny of the Left, and everybody knows that liberals don't own guns.
I think they are mentally unable to imagine that their side might be supplying the tyrants.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
That's why I like licensing and liability insurance. Let the private sector handle it. A responsible adult who wants a handgun for home protection, takes training and secures the gun properly would pay no more than a nominal sum for insurance.

Not down with the insurance.

A 38-year-old single unemployed man living in his mother's basement with a Confederate flag on the wall and 23 semi-automatic military style weapons nursing paranoid fantasies about standing off a liberal takeover might have to pay thousands.

It is none of our business what this individual's lifestyle is. If he isn't breaking the law, then he can do as he pleases.

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟904,673.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Registries lead to confiscation. My intent is that if you're licensed you can own zero guns or a hundred. The quantity is none of the government's business. YOU are the business, because without people guns do zero harm.

When in US history has registration lead to confiscation?

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,692.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is a huge push for more gun control, and the result is a huge push-back from the progun folks opposing more restrictions. As bipartisan support is gained for magazine bans and red flag laws, I think we are the precipice of something quite dire. So, as my words are most likely to fall on deaf ears (my representatives don't listen), I figured I'd at least share here to gauge how far off base I may be. Let me issue my own disclaimer that I am very much progun and want all law-abiding citizens to retain their inalienable right to keep and bear arms.

Proposal:

1. Institute a national licensing model. This model could be rolled into national identity systems, controlled by the states, such as state-issued ID cards; or even federally via SS. Either way, the following requirements to obtain and purchase a firearm, either from an FFL or privately would be as follows
a. Firearms proficiency class and training. You must know how to use a firearm and how to store it safely.
b. Criminal background check. No person convicted of a violent felony shall be allowed to own a firearm.

2. Safe storage law: When not being carried/bore by a person, all firearms must be kept in a locked and secured container. Such containers that would provide access-at-the-ready, but also reasonably deter theft or unauthorized access.

To accept such a proposal, I would demand the following:

1. Repeal the NFA of 1934, including the further provisions of 1986.

2. Repeal the GCA of 1968

3. Institute Constitutional Carry in all states and territories

4. Mandate that there shall never be a gun registry, and that possessing a firearm license in no way insinuates that you are actually a firearm owner.

---

The above satisfies the intent, but to a greater degree, that ATF form 4473 seeks, but also ensures that theft, the leading cause of illegal firearm acquisition, is reasonably prevented. It ensures that, reasonably, only law-abiding citizens possess firearms.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
When the US government attempts to install a tyranny, a lot of those weapons will be taken up in defense of the tyranny.

I think they are mentally unable to imagine that their side might be supplying the tyrants.

Every side in every armed conflict thinks they are right.

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Be that as it may US civilians with small arms overthrowing the government is a fantasy.

Two things. First the US military is the citizenries sons and daughters. The US military is not going to fire on its own people. It is more likely that a dived is caused within the ranks and the armed forces fight in a sort of civil war with the people.

Second. It is a common belief that it will either be a foreign force, or foreign police we will have to defend ourselves from. Or, even our police. Because our military will not start shelling their own cities and towns.

Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Mandate that there shall never be a gun registry, and that possessing a firearm license in no way insinuates that you are actually a firearm owner.
Guns need to be registered so that all those "responsible gun owners" can be held liable when one of their weapons is sold to a murderer off the books

Upvote 0

LostMarbels

All-Lives-Matter
Jun 18, 2011
Orlando Fl
✟173,798.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Guns need to be registered so that all those "responsible gun owners" can be held liable when one of their weapons is sold to a murderer off the books

No, that is akin to going to prison for privately selling your car that was involved in a DUI death. The person committing the act is solely responsible.

• Agree
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

evoeth

Man trying to figure things out
Mar 5, 2014
✟130,357.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Armed citizenry is a deterrent. If it weren't, they wouldn't be trying to take the guns in the first place. They'd just do it.
But you started this thread acknowledging that gun regulation was based on the epidemic of shootings, not based on consolidating political control by force.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

mala

fluffy lion
Dec 5, 2002
✟261,324.00
Faith
Muslim
Marital Status
Single
An excellent proposal. However, it does not do enough to eliminate illegal gun ownership, about which I would make the following comment:

I am a former resident of Chicagoland, I have been appalled by the number of gang-related shootings in that city. The police appear to be doing their job, but the courts are not. It is not unusual for the police to arrest a shooter and then have to arrest him again a few days later for another shooting. I believe that the record is three times in one week. I propose absolutely no bail for gun crimes and no pleading out of them.
ya because the police have never planted a firearm on a person... that's just plain silly.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
No, that is akin to going to prison for privately selling your car that was involved in a DUI death. The person committing the act is solely responsible.
And you are too (depending on the crime) if you haven't registered the transfer or reported it stolen.

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Not down with the insurance.

It is none of our business what this individual's lifestyle is. If he isn't breaking the law, then he can do as he pleases.
He sure can, and the insurance actuaries can figure out how much of a risk his gun ownership is. Just like with car ownership.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

If you sell me a car, and I crash into a crowd of people, are you liable?

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
But you started this thread acknowledging that gun regulation was based on the epidemic of shootings, not based on consolidating political control by force.

It's just acknowledging the narrative by which the powers fear monger people, not that it's an actual reason.

We have an epidemic of murder. I don't care about the tool, I care about the loss of life and why it's occurring. You should too.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Be that as it may US civilians with small arms overthrowing the government is a fantasy.

We try to 'overthrow' the government with every election, but it hasn't been very effective.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
It depends on the circumstances, I believe. If I have registered the transaction, then no.

Are those registrations universal and turned into a governing body, or kept by your person and for your person in the event they're needed?

Upvote 0