Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
The Bible was written by many different people over centuries and is internally inconsistent.
The Bible was written by many different people over centuries and is internally inconsistent.
You are correct it was written at different points in history but it’s not inconsistent.There are Many things the Bible speaks of historically that are true and proven.For example The oldest book in the Bible,The book of Job.Dating back 6000 years,at a time when astronomy was virtually nonexistent speaks clearly of earth sitting in space.the Book speaks in verse Job 26:7 that God stretches out into the empty space and hangs the earth upon nothing.6000 years ago there were no telescopes and no astronomers.this verse would later be proven when Galileo made his first telescope in 1609.The Bible also spoke of the hittites,who until recently when archeological sites were discovered in the exact place told the Hittites reigned,were deemed nonexistent.it wasn’t until 1876 that the archeological sites were discovered in present day Turkey of their powerful reign in the 16th and 15th centuries B.C.

The First few books of the old testement were written by Moses.And although people constantly claim he wasn’t real,he undeniably was,and the reason his remains haven’t been found is that he would’ve surely became an idol to the Israeli people as they were very prone to idolatry.

My friend,listen,the Bible isn’t inconsistent,with all do respect I say this in a loving intent,you have a lack of understanding about the scriptures,I say that not to be mean or rude,but to rather help.Please don’t be harsh,I’m only expressing the truth

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Sure.

Kylie: How long did Noah's flood last?
AV1611VET: One year.

Kylie: Were the waters on the face of the earth for 40 days, as stated in Genesis 7:17?
AV1611VET: Yes.

Kylie: Or were the waters of the face of the earth for 150 days, as stated in Genesis 7:24 and Genesis 8:3?
AV1611VET: Your question lacks proper English. I don't understand it.
Brother be more gentle with your responses,being harsh only causes strife

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
No it doesn't.

It says the FLOOD was on the Earth for 40 days.

People don't say the flood has gone just because it's stopped raining. "Flood" means there's lots of water covering the ground.
How does the magnitude of water to cover the earth thousands of thousands of feet deep take to flood and destroy earth?,for the magnitude of water to amass the entire planet would take 40 days alone for the magnitude of water to fill the earth.All life cannot die in 40 days,constant water needs to exist to drown,soak,and wipe out all life.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does it lack proper English? The phrasing is identical.
Okay, I'll do my best.

Kylie: Or were the waters of the face of the earth ...
AV1611VET: No. The waters were from two sources: underneath the earth and outer space.

Kylie: ... for 150 days, as stated in Genesis 7:24 and Genesis 8:3?
AV1611VET: Yes. The waters were on the earth 150 days. (If that's what you're asking.)

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Brother be more gentle with your responses,being harsh only causes strife
Thanks for the advice.

I'll cut her some slack.

But this gets old after awhile.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
How does the magnitude of water to cover the earth thousands of thousands of feet deep take to flood and destroy earth?,for the magnitude of water to amass the entire planet would take 40 days alone for the magnitude of water to fill the earth.All life cannot die in 40 days,constant water needs to exist to drown,soak,and wipe out all life.
It's almost as though the entire story was invented and never actually happened, isn't it?

You do realise I'm an atheist, yeah?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Okay, I'll do my best.

Kylie: Or were the waters of the face of the earth ...
AV1611VET: No. The waters were from two sources: underneath the earth and outer space.

Kylie: ... for 150 days, as stated in Genesis 7:24 and Genesis 8:3?
AV1611VET: Yes. The waters were on the earth 150 days. (If that's what you're asking.)
So the time period when the waters were on the face of the Earth was 40 days only, but at the same time the waters were on the face of the earth for 150 days.

So 40 = 150.

I guess mathematics can take a hike.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So the time period when the waters were on the face of the Earth was 40 days only, but at the same time the waters were on the face of the earth for 150 days.

So 40 = 150.

I guess mathematics can take a hike.
You can read it yourself.

God preserved it in writing for your perusal.

If that's what you get out of the passages, then so be it.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,097.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You can read it yourself.

God preserved it in writing for your perusal.

If that's what you get out of the passages, then so be it.
I did read it.

It contradicts itself.

Hence I conclude that it is not a reliable account of actual historical events.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
My friend,listen,the Bible isn’t inconsistent,with all do respect I say this in a loving intent,you have a lack of understanding about the scriptures,I say that not to be mean or rude,but to rather help.Please don’t be harsh,I’m only expressing the truth
But in your response you have only shown that the Bible mentions real world locations: so does Harry Potter.

There are contradictions in the Bible. Who was Joseph’s father? What do Matthew and Luke tell us?

Reactions: Kylie
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Thanks for the advice.

I'll cut her some slack.

But this gets old after awhile.
I understand,remember however what the lord said.
It's almost as though the entire story was invented and never actually happened, isn't it?

You do realise I'm an atheist, yeah?
I understand you are,and I’m not attacking you for being so.But with all do respect,regardless of what people assume about the Lords holy word.His word stands true.The real ark was found exactly where the Bible says it lay after the flood.

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
But in your response you have only shown that the Bible mentions real world locations: so does Harry Potter.

There are contradictions in the Bible. Who was Joseph’s father? What do Matthew and Luke tell us?

Like I said,The Bible has no contradictions,it’s,with all due respect,you’re lack of understanding and Godly discernment,the Bible clearly says that unbelievers cannot understand the Bible and claim to be folly(when it isn’t) 1 Corinthians 2:14.

The Bible doesn’t just explain real geographical locations my friend,it also teaches many regarding science,geography,history,and miracles.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Like I said,The Bible has no contradictions,it’s,with all due respect,you’re lack of understanding and Godly discernment,the Bible clearly says that unbelievers cannot understand the Bible and claim to be folly(when it isn’t) 1 Corinthians 2:14
Who was Joseph’s father? What do Matthew and Luke tell us?

Upvote 0

Blaise N

Jul 4, 2021
Midwest US
✟117,646.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Who was Joseph’s father? What do Matthew and Luke tell us?
It doesn’t tell;And I imagine your speaking of Joseph(Jesus adoptive father) and I’d like to mention there are numerous Joseph’s in the Bible.And if you’re speaking of lineage,he is a descendant from King David himself

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟314,979.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
It doesn’t tell;
Saying that doesn't change facts.

"In Matthew, there is not a word about Jesus being God; in John, that's precisely who he is. In Matthew, Jesus teaches about the coming kingdom of God and almost never about himself (and never that he is divine); in John, Jesus teaches almost exclusively about himself, especially his divinity. In Matthew, Jesus refuses to perform miracles in order to prove his identity; in John, that is practically the only reason he does miracles."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Saying that doesn't change facts.

"In Matthew, there is not a word about Jesus being God; in John, that's precisely who he is. In Matthew, Jesus teaches about the coming kingdom of God and almost never about himself (and never that he is divine); in John, Jesus teaches almost exclusively about himself, especially his divinity. In Matthew, Jesus refuses to perform miracles in order to prove his identity; in John, that is practically the only reason he does miracles."

So, let me get this straight. ............................. according to Matthew's Gospel (and Bart Ehrman?), Jesus is "just a dude," like me and you?

Oh Suh-weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!!! There's so much I can get away with now!!! Geez !!!! :ahah:

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,742.00
Faith
Atheist
Read the context, chief.

Jeremiah is asking the LORD to do those things mentioned in verse 21.

The LORD's reply is in the next chapter, in which He says He is going to withdraw His protection and let Israel's enemies do that.
So it's OK if you have someone else do the killing?
And don't overlook the point I made in my first reply to you.

It's ... ironic ... that science sanctions the massacre of millions of children per year in peacetime, while railing against massacres in the Bible, during wartime.
Whataboutism is not an argument, even if your claim had substance. But science doesn't sanction killing, it's about the acquisition of knowledge. Typically, it's ethicists and/or politicians that sanction killing. In the case of abortion (I take it that was your context?) they decide at what stage after fertilization the fetus can be considered a human person or being with all that entails. Science can inform that decision but cannot make it.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,670.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
QV please:

Gospel Harmony

From the link:

"Harmonies are constructed for a variety of purposes: to provide a straightforward devotional text for parishioners, to create a readable and accessible piece of literature for the general public, to establish a scholarly chronology of events in the life of Jesus as depicted in the canonical gospels, or to better understand how the accounts relate to each other.

Among academics, the construction of harmonies has been favoured by conservative scholars, though one scholar, B. S. Childs, opposes this."

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,306.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
QV please:

Gospel Harmony

From the link:

"Harmonies are constructed for a variety of purposes: to provide a straightforward devotional text for parishioners, to create a readable and accessible piece of literature for the general public, to establish a scholarly chronology of events in the life of Jesus as depicted in the canonical gospels, or to better understand how the accounts relate to each other.

Among academics, the construction of harmonies has been favoured by conservative scholars, though one scholar, B. S. Childs, opposes this."

I think harmonies are attempts to do something with the Gospel literature that doesn't really need to be done, especially not in order to protect a few other dogmatic assumptions that some of my fellow Christians think they "need" to protect.

Upvote 0