Colorado
✟431,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
If you are an atheist that believes God sactioned acts of genocide in the Bible, this challenge is for you.

Reconcile ...

Exodus 20:13 Thou shalt not kill.

... with ...

Jeremiah 18:21 Therefore deliver up their children to the famine, and pour out their blood by the force of the sword; and let their wives be bereaved of their children, and be widows; and let their men be put to death; let their young men be slain by the sword in battle.
Different authors, different eras.... different books.
Next task: reconcile Shakespeare and Joyce.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
If you are an atheist that believes God sactioned acts of genocide in the Bible, this challenge is for you.

Reconcile ...

... with ...

Jeremiah 18:21 Therefore deliver up their children to the famine, and pour out their blood by the force of the sword; and let their wives be bereaved of their children, and be widows; and let their men be put to death; let their young men be slain by the sword in battle.
Peter: I live in Australia.
Marty: I live in Spain.
Please reconcile these two statements.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Peter: I live in Australia.
Marty: I live in Spain.
Please reconcile these two statements.
Australia is a town in Spain?

No?

Spain is a town in Australia?

No?

Oh well.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Two rhethorical questions and an "Oh well" isn´t much of a reconciliation.

Neither is ignoring my OP, or using my thread to post your own challenge.

The OP in this thread is a paradox; you, however are posting a contradiction.

My OP can be reconciled with basic doctrine; yours can't.

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I know you can't ... you don't have the Holy Ghost on your side.

Thus the point of this thread; to show why unregenerates can't understand key issues.

And this usually leads to false accusations of genocide and murder.

Thankfully it is possible, using the magic of the bible to make a thing say that which it DOESN'T say and make a thing magically become WHAT IT ISN'T!

All while strictly adhering to a literal interpretation of the Bible.

THAT is a true miracle!

Selah!

Upvote 0

ThinkForYourself

Nov 8, 2013
✟2,284.00
Faith
Atheist
Neither is ignoring my OP, or using my thread to post your own challenge.

The OP in this thread is a paradox; you, however are posting a contradiction.

My OP can be reconciled with basic doctrine; yours can't.

AV, I am still waiting to hear your explanation as to why virgin females make better maids and cooks than non-virgin females.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV, I am still waiting to hear your explanation as to why virgin females make better maids and cooks than non-virgin females.
Don't hold your breath, as my mother would say.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Reconcile ...

... with ...

Why would god be subject to his own rules? I mean, he *is* god, after all.

Anyway, I don't get the whole "you have to have The Holy Spirit™ to understand." nonsense. That's a rubbish claim off the top, because tons of people claim to have The Holy Spirit™ and they can't even agree on what The Holy Spirit™ is telling them. You make it sound like having The Holy Spirit™ is like having the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring™ that allows you to decipher the "code" of the Bible. The only problem with what you're peddling is that everyone's Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring™ (aka The Holy Spirit™) is different, giving different answers for the same code. So how on earth does that even help? Yes, that's right - it doesn't.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Anyway, I don't get the whole "you have to have The Holy Spirit™ to understand." nonsense. That's a rubbish claim off the top, because tons of people claim to have The Holy Spirit™ and they can't even agree on what The Holy Spirit™ is telling them. You make it sound like having The Holy Spirit™ is like having the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring™ that allows you to decipher the "code" of the Bible. The only problem with what you're peddling is that everyone's Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring™ (aka The Holy Spirit™) is different, giving different answers for the same code. So how on earth does that even help? Yes, that's right - it doesn't.

Don't know if you've been 'in love' before? - not trying to be rude, just asking?

But if you are/have been, there are lots of words and understanding that goes without words spoken. The spouse just knows, or a little look in the eye, conveys an entire world to you but to me there, I wouldn't understand.

That is the way of the SPIRIT, its is love in areas that the human mind isn't capable of understanding - because it goes contrary to natural thinking.

-eric

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That's nice, but I don't buy it. The Holy Spirit™ doesn't impart any magical ability to further any understanding. *IF* it did, all those claiming to have The Holy Spirit™ would be a cohesive unit, understanding the same things. But they don't. So, I don't buy it.

Upvote 0

ezeric

HE loves me too.
Mar 2, 2010
Canada but really in JESUS! (in HIS Covenant)
Visit site
✟12,835.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's nice, but I don't buy it. The Holy Spirit™ doesn't impart any magical ability to further any understanding. *IF* it did, all those claiming to have The Holy Spirit™ would be a cohesive unit, understanding the same things. But they don't. So, I don't buy it.

Its more than 'nice', but maybe you've never experienced love with someone at that level? Communication in deeper places.

And not everyone who claims to hear from the president of United States or hear from GOD all tell the truth...but some do hear and talk to the President of United States though.

-eric

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Its more than 'nice', but maybe you've never experienced love with someone at that level? Communication in deeper places.

I am in love. Have been many times. Being in love doesn't impart any special knowledge either, though. But knowing someone really well can give you clues to what they're thinking akin to what you suggested prior. This is not the same as alleged special abilities imparted by The Holy Spirit™.

And not everyone who claims to hear from the president of United States or hear from GOD all tell the truth...but some do hear and talk to the President of United States though.

-eric

Ah yes, those who claim to have The Holy Spirit™ but do not agree with you must most certainly and obviously be lying. :doh:

Upvote 0

Lucy Stulz

Apr 3, 2013
✟1,937.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married

THIS is very true! I always assumed God could call for the murder of innocents in 1 Sam 15:3 by the rubric that God can hold subsequent generations guilty of a crime committed by their forebears.

WHY, however, God would need HUMANS to murder these innocents is beyond me.

Anyway, I don't get the whole "you have to have The Holy Spirit™ to understand." nonsense.

It's an interesting "dodge". It is a way to keep others OUT (or remind them they are in the outer darknerss) and it is a way to allow believers to believe WHATEVER they want to believe and decree it to be Truth[sup]TM[/sup].

The Holy Spirit allows one to be simultaneously a Biblical LITERALIST while monkeying around with the meaning of basic words and concepts to fit their "needs".

In the current case we have a God who commands others to murder on his behalf through his prophets BUT is still an all-loving, all-merciful God who should not be scary to you at all!

That's a rubbish claim off the top, because tons of people claim to have The Holy Spirit™ and they can't even agree on what The Holy Spirit™ is telling them.

This is when "God-works-in-mysterious-ways" caveat comes in handy!

You make it sound like having The Holy Spirit™ is like having the Little Orphan Annie Secret Decoder Ring™

That's silly! You can actually SEE the Orphan Annie decoder ring!

orphan_annie_secret_decoder.jpg

And since everyone experiences it the same way it is LESS MEANINGFUL!

Reactions: selfinflikted
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Anyway, I don't get the whole "you have to have The Holy Spirit™ to understand."

Is it nonsense™ because you don't get it; or is it you don't get it because it's nonsense™?

Okay, so those who have the Holy Spirit still contradict each other.

What does that have to do with you guys even understanding the contradictions?

Are you telling me you understand consubstantiation, as well as transubstantiation, which are contradicting doctrines?

Are you telling me you understand Arminianism, as well as Calvinism, which are contradicting doctrines?

Are you telling me you understand eternal security, as well as losing one's salvation, which are contradicting doctrines?

Are you telling me you understand a local [Noahic] flood, as well as a global [Noahic] flood, which are contradicting doctrines?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'll tell you what, Mr. Selfrighteous, when we get all our ducks in line, we'll call you.

How's that?

And for the record, every single one of us, regardless of our Christian denomination, believe: IN THE BEGINNING, GOD.

Do you buy that?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,511.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Ah yes, those who claim to have The Holy Spirit™ but do not agree with you must most certainly and obviously be lying. :doh:

What about those who do agree? especially agreements that cross ecumenical lines?

Upvote 0

morningstar2651

Senior Veteran
Dec 6, 2004
Arizona
✟66,649.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm still waiting to hear how the 32 virgins were tributed/sacrificed to God. My money is on "burnt offering".

I wouldn't have known of virgin sacrifice in the Bible if not for this thread. Thanks AV.

Upvote 0

selfinflikted

Under Deck
Jul 13, 2006
✟24,014.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Is it nonsense™ because you don't get it; or is it you don't get it because it's nonsense™?

Okay, so those who have the Holy Spirit still contradict each other.

What does that have to do with you guys even understanding the contradictions?

<snip>

We understand the contradictions, we just don't have to try to reconcile them. That's your (and The Holy Spirit's™) problem.

Reactions: Lucy Stulz
Upvote 0