✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
The gospel saves no one, so it does not matter if it is Paul's gospel or the gospel of the kingdom. What a gospel should do is to point a person to Jesus, so that person can believe in Jesus for God's free gift of Eternal Life salvation.

It is only by belief or faith in Jesus that a person receives Eternal Life and becomes a born again child of God.
"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand; 2 By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:"(1 Corinthians 15:1-4)

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My favorite passage defining the gospel, "I declare unto you the gospel... by which you are saved," is definitive. You do not have to add anything. This is the same gospel Paul spoke of in Galatians. Also a scary verse that curses anyone who adds anything to this gospel. Take care all!

Galatians 1:6-9 KJV
6 I marvel that ye are so soon removed from him that called you into the grace of Christ unto another gospel:
7 Which is not another; but there be some that trouble you, and would pervert the gospel of Christ.
8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.
9 As we said before, so say I now again, If any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Reactions: LoveofTruth
Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
-
Paul is addressing believers, so the saving is a saving of people who are already believers. So the saving is a saving of their physical lives. That God make take if they persist in their inaccurate beliefs. Which is saying there is no resurrection of the dead.

If you will keep reading down to where Paul states how can you say there is no resurrection of the dead. It can be seen Paul is noy addressing what an unbeliever must believe to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
-
Paul is addressing believers, so the saving is a saving of people who are already believers. So the saving is a saving of their physical lives. That God make take if they persist in their inaccurate beliefs. Which is saying there is no resurrection of the dead.

If you will keep reading down to where Paul states how can you say there is no resurrection of the dead. It can be seen Paul is noy addressing what an unbeliever must believe to receive God's free gift of Eternal Life.
Paul said this was the gospel he preached to them by which also they received and are saved. It’s very clear. And Peter gave him the right hand if fellowship and that he had the sane gospel. Galatians 2

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Paul said this was the gospel he preached to them by which also they received and are saved. It’s very clear. And Peter gave him the right hand if fellowship and that he had the sane gospel. Galatians 2

I guess you do not understand every time saved or salvation is used in The Bible it is not always referring to Eternal Life salvation. But many times saved or salvation is refering to a physical saving of a believers life.

By the way you use saved and salvation, women are saved through child bearing.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I guess you do not understand every time saved or salvation is used in The Bible it is not always referring to Eternal Life salvation. But many times saved or salvation is refering to a physical saving of a believers life.

By the way you use saved and salvation, women are saved through child bearing.
?

The saving gospel Paul preached to them while they were unbelievers is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 fir eternal life

And women and men are both saved to eternal life by that gospel in Christ neither make nor female. In the world yes

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟251,747.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Guojing

Apr 11, 2019
sg
✟217,841.00
Country
Singapore
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
?

The saving gospel Paul preached to them while they were unbelievers is 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 fir eternal life

And women and men are both saved to eternal life by that gospel in Christ neither make nor female. In the world yes

Grace Evangelical society has a very convoluted system of scripture interpretation.

Basically, they start with some fundamental axioms, and they throw in all kinds of ad-hoc interpretation of various scripture passages to reconcile those axioms with scripture.

You can view the first few pages of this previous discussion thread to understand more The sheep and goat judgment of Matthew 25: The Progressive Dispensationalist view

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
My favorite passage defining the gospel, "I declare unto you the gospel... by which you are saved," is definitive. You do not have to add anything.
But it doesn't tell us everything. It doesn't state that Jesus was sinless, mention the deity of Christ, the Holy Spirit or being born again. It doesn't say anything at all about God's love and grace.
If Jesus wasn't without sin, then he was dying for his own sins, not ours. If he wasn't God, then he was rightly accused of blasphemy because he claimed that he was. Without the Holy Spirit we cannot be born again, and without being born again w cannot enter the Kingdom of God, John 3:3. Also it is the Holy Spirit who assures us we are children of God.

Maybe Paul had already told the Corinthians all this, and in these verses he is just reminding them of what he said. But we cannot look at those verses and say that this is all you need to be a Christian.
I knew these things for years - in my head, academic knowledge. I didn't know, and hadn't met, Christ. I didn't believe that he could love me; I wasn't as good/faithful/capable as all those folk in the Bible. I was a "Christian" because I went to church, said the creeds and believed them.
There are doubtless people who say the creed in church each week, yet don't know Jesus.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This will be my last post to you on this, may be this article will help you see 1st Corinthians 15 correctly.

Another Look at 1 Corinthians 15:3-11 – Grace Evangelical Society
You seem to miss things here.

The gospel is defined by Paul. This word “gospel” or “good news” is the essence of what saves men who believe. It is good new as opposed to the bad life they live in sin and sins consequences and their depression from God. Yes, who Christ is and his nature and work will be taught as well. But the good news for man relates to how they as sinners can approach a holy God and be saved. You will notice that Paul does not add any works to the gospel to be saved. No sabbaths or water baptism or the Lords supper, or foot washing or circumcision or the mosaic law etc etc. This is very important.

We also see Paul said that men are saved by the hearing of faith and not works of the law or flesh. They heard they believed and began in the Spirit.

Galatians 3: 2. This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3. Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?”

Yes, who Jesus is is also important. But men just knowing that Jesus is God manifest in the flesh and that he is sinless and he said many truths does not save men. Many heard and saw Jesus and the claims about him and still did not believe and were lost in their sin trying to save themselves by thier good works or the works of the law . They need to look unto him in a repentant heart and believe that he died for thier sins and was buried and rose again. Then they will be trusting in God’s righteousness and not thier own they now have repentance from dead works and faith towards Gid through Jesus Christ who died was buried and rose from the dead for them.

When we believe the gospel the power of that gospel is far reaching Christ will dwell in our hearts by faith and we are said to be crucified with Christ, buried with him and risen with him. We walk in this always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus that the life of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal bodies (2 Cor 4:10, 11)

Also, Paul preached repentance from sin and other things but this is not what saved them. This will expose their sin and hopefully they will be ready to hear the saving gospel.

We see that when other things are preached like warning of sin and repentance and the character of Jesus and his nature and work the saving part the saving gospel is when they preach,The gospel is defined clearly.

1 Corinthians 15: 3. For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures; 4. And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:”
Paul says this is the gospel. (Good news ) he preached, so the issue is with Paul it seems. But Paul was right.

Paul Is declaring God’s righteousness for remission of sins and our salvation in Christ.

Romans 3: 21. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22. Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus: 25. Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God; 26. To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus. 27. Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith. 28. Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law. 29. Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also: 30. Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.”
We even see Peter preaching the saving gospel

Acts 2:1-41

Peter expounds on the same gospel and uses scripture.

We see Peter again sharing the same gospel

Acts 10:34-45

And again in Acts 25 we read from Peters words,

Acts 15: 7. And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. 8. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; 9. And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.”

And yes, the gospel can be shown using the scriptures. As Paul said , according to the scriptures. But the essence of the gospel is defined as Paul said that he preached this gospel. And if any preach any other gospel they are accursed (Galatians 1)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
But it doesn't tell us everything. It doesn't state that Jesus was sinless, mention the deity of Christ, the Holy Spirit or being born again. It doesn't say anything at all about God's love and grace.
If Jesus wasn't without sin, then he was dying for his own sins, not ours. If he wasn't God, then he was rightly accused of blasphemy because he claimed that he was. Without the Holy Spirit we cannot be born again, and without being born again w cannot enter the Kingdom of God, John 3:3. Also it is the Holy Spirit who assures us we are children of God.

Maybe Paul had already told the Corinthians all this, and in these verses he is just reminding them of what he said. But we cannot look at those verses and say that this is all you need to be a Christian.
I knew these things for years - in my head, academic knowledge. I didn't know, and hadn't met, Christ. I didn't believe that he could love me; I wasn't as good/faithful/capable as all those folk in the Bible. I was a "Christian" because I went to church, said the creeds and believed them.
There are doubtless people who say the creed in church each week, yet don't know Jesus.
The gospel gives the essence of what saved. In the gospel we hear about Gods righteousness through Christ who saves us and that we cannot save ourselves from sin. We see Gods approval of Jesus and our living hope in that he raised him from the dead.

When a person in the world has seen thier sin and the Light of a Christ shined in their heart reproving them and they are broken humbled before God and look to Him for his righteousness that righteousness is Christ. In the OT for example they can be saved by looking to Gods righteousness and his provision. But to understand what has happened we have the gospel preached and we learn of Jesus. This is the saving gospel and how men can be forgiven and saved. But they could still have that righteousness of faith even if they had little understanding. The gospel shows what happens and we learn of Jesus, his nature and work.

In the OT they had sim only and types of this.

But now in the gospel is revelation of what saves. The righteousness of God is revealed in the gospel as Paul said,

Romans 3: 21. But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets; 22. Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference: 23. For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God; 24. Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:”

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The gospel gives the essence of what saved. In the gospel we hear about Gods righteousness through Christ who saves us and that we cannot save ourselves from sin. We see Gods approval of Jesus and our living hope in that he raised him from the dead.
I know.
All I'm saying is that i) 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 does not tell the whole story; it doesn't mention the Holy Spirit, for example. And ii) it is possible to have head knowledge of the Gospel but still not know Jesus. It is trough the Holy Spirit that we are born again.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟563,553.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I understand what you are saying and have thought about this also. Someone might ask how far we can take this. To be saved, does one have to be a Bible Scholar or a Theologian? How much did the Gentiles saved in the Book of Acts know about these things? I have surveyed instances in Acts where they heard what seemed to be the most simple elements of the Gospel and were saved by that preaching. Most notable was in the 10th chapter, where Peter "opened his mouth" to the Gentiles present, and the Holy Spirit fell upon them immediately, and they began to speak in tongues.

Acts 11:13-15 KJV
13 And he shewed us how he had seen an angel in his house, which stood and said unto him,
Send men to Joppa, and call for Simon, whose surname is Peter;
14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.

Looking back at his message in chapter 10, specifically where he "began to speak:"
Acts 10:34-48 KJV
34 Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons:
35 But in every nation he that feareth him, and worketh righteousness, is accepted with him.
36 The word which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all
37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judaea, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;
38 How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him.
39 And we are witnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:
40 Him God raised up the third day, and shewed him openly;
41 Not to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.
42 And he commanded us to preach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was ordained of God to be the Judge of quick and dead.
43 To him give all the prophets witness, that through his name whosoever believeth in him shall receive remission of sins.
44 While Peter yet spake these words, the Holy Ghost fell on all them which heard the word.

He spoke for ten verses. What would we think to be the word "he began" to speak?
In the 3rd verse, he mentioned the name of Jesus.
In the 5th verse, he again mentions Jesus.
It is not until the 6th verse that he mentions the death of Jesus.
It is not until the 7th verse that the resurrection is mentioned
Finally, in verse 9, the remission of sin is mentioned. It is at the end (not the beginning) of his testimony.
In the next verse, the Holy Spirit fell on them, and those who received the words began to speak in tongues. These were Gentiles. I suspect their knowledge of these topics was somewhat limited.

45 And they of the circumcision which believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because that on the Gentiles also was poured out the gift of the Holy Ghost.
46 For they heard them speak with tongues, and magnify God. Then answered Peter,
47 Can any man forbid water, that these should not be baptized, which have received the Holy Ghost as well as we?
48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then prayed they him to tarry certain days.

Recalling how Peter described this event:
14 Who shall tell thee words, whereby thou and all thy house shall be saved.
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Ghost fell on them, as on us at the beginning.
So I think something is going on here that defies our understand of how the gospel is presented, received, and believed. The Holy Spirit falling upon them and their speaking in tongues was taken as proof that they were saved "by the words" that they heard Peter speak." Those words, as recorded in chapter 10, were relatively few. I have some thoughts on this.

Thanks for sharing SIH. It is always good to parley with you and receive your insights.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I know.
All I'm saying is that i) 1 Corinthians 15:1-4 does not tell the whole story; it doesn't mention the Holy Spirit, for example. And ii) it is possible to have head knowledge of the Gospel but still not know Jesus. It is trough the Holy Spirit that we are born again.
It tells the saving gospel. There are many things to learn but the gospel is what saves us through what Christ did and belief in the gospel .

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It tells the saving gospel.
It tells some of the Gospel.
From the JW website:
  1. Jesus. We follow the teachings and example of Jesus Christ and honor him as our Savior and as the Son of God. (Matthew 20:28; Acts 5:31) Thus, we are Christians. (Acts 11:26) However, we have learned from the Bible that Jesus is not Almighty God and that there is no Scriptural basis for the Trinity doctrine.—John 14:28.
And:
Salvation. Deliverance from sin and death is possible through the ransom sacrifice of Jesus. (Matthew 20:28; Acts 4:12) To benefit from that sacrifice, people must not only exercise faith in Jesus but also change their course of life and get baptized. (Matthew 28:19, 20;
They say they are saved through Jesus - but don't believe that Jesus was God.
They say that people must be baptised - but I doubt they would baptise in the name of the Trinity, which is what Matthew 28:19-20 says, because they believe that is an unscriptural doctrine.

Do they believe the saving Gospel?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strong in Him

Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,053,994.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I understand what you are saying and have thought about this also. Someone might ask how far we can take this. To be saved, does one have to be a Bible Scholar or a Theologian?
No.
John 3:3 says that we need to be born again in order to enter the kingdom of God. Romans 10:9-10 says that a person is saved if they confess Jesus as Lord and believe in their heart that he was raised from the dead. Because we believe, and are justified, through are hearts and are saved by what we confess with our mouth.
Even here, Paul does not talk about Jesus being God, or the role of the Holy Spirit. But in 1 Cor 15 - words which he also wrote - he doesn't mention confessing and being justified.

How much did the Gentiles saved in the Book of Acts know about these things?
I don't know. We just read in Acts 10:44 that while Peter was speaking to Cornelius - and presumably his household - the Holy Spirit came upon them and they were speaking in tongues and praising God.
I have surveyed instances in Acts where they heard what seemed to be the most simple elements of the Gospel and were saved by that preaching.
Yes; the difficulty is that we don't know what was said, or how much they already knew.
This was only a few months/couple of years after Jesus died - had any of them known him or heard his teaching? Did they believe he was just a good man? Was it because they had known him, and known that he was killed, that all was needed for them to believe was the testimony "Jesus is alive"?

Most notable was in the 10th chapter, where Peter "opened his mouth" to the Gentiles present, and the Holy Spirit fell upon them immediately, and they began to speak in tongues.
Great minds think alike. ;)
So I think something is going on here that defies our understand of how the gospel is presented, received, and believed. The Holy Spirit falling upon them and their speaking in tongues was taken as proof that they were saved "by the words" that they heard Peter speak." Those words, as recorded in chapter 10, were relatively few.
Yes - but like I said, this was quite soon after Jesus lived and died. It's not impossible that some of them met him and/or heard about him and just needed someone to provide the missing pieces.
That last bit is surmise, of course. But we are living in a different time and culture today and can't rely on eye witnesses as they could then. People have different understanding of "belief", or of what makes someone a Christian. Different groups - i.e cults - speak about God in different ways. There is still only one God, but lots of people have different ideas and experiences of him. Some don't believe at all and are atheists or humanists; others seem to think there are many paths to God and he can be whatever you want him to be. Others believe they are Christians simply because they live good lives, go to church and say the right things - but they don't really know what it's all about.
That is not a judgement; I was like that for several years. I even wanted other Christians to tell me what to believe and what to do, so if it was wrong, it wouldn't be my fault. :sorry::sigh: (I was an idiot.)
Thanks for sharing SIH. It is always good to parley with you and receive your insights.
That's kind of you; it's good to talk to you too.

Upvote 0

KingdomLeast

Aug 6, 2018
INDIANAPOLIS
✟30,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
They say that people must be baptised - but I doubt they would baptise in the name of the Trinity, which is what Matthew 28:19-20 says, because they believe that is an unscriptural doctrine.
Tell me, where in the Scriptures does it say to be baptized in the name of the Trinity?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They say that people must be baptised
If they add water baptism to the saving gospel of 1 Cor 15:1-5, then they preach another gospel.

Usually those who deny 1 Cor 15:1-4 do so because they want to add all sorts of rules and laws and many other works to the gospel. In my experience.

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Jun 29, 2015
✟167,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You quoted,

"To benefit from that sacrifice, people must not only exercise faith in Jesus but also change their course of life and get baptized. (Matthew 28:19, 20;"

Here we see that this is adding works to the gospel for salvation and water baptism, or so it seems.

Upvote 0