Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I take it you think the Flood was just a local one?
You take that wrong. I believe that it's global, for who can keep back the raging waters of such deluge that pushes the dirt and rocks into mountains and carves out valleys where none had been before? And whose waters are so turbulent that even water creatures die from the chaotic event. Which makes the ark the only safe place to be for man and beast.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
You take that wrong. I believe that it's global, for who can keep back the raging waters of such deluge that pushes the dirt and rocks into mountains and carves out valleys where none had been before? And whose waters are so turbulent that even water creatures die from the chaotic event. Which makes the ark the only safe place to be for man and beast.
And how, if I may ask, did all those animals fit on the Ark, along with a year's supply of food for each and every one?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
And how, if I may ask, did all those animals fit on the Ark, along with a year's supply of food for each and every one?
Its a real pity your answers distort any given topic so much away from credible, rational, scientific discussions .. because I'd love to get into a conversation aimed at answering that question.
Alas though, it involves a deep understanding of Information Theory .. (and definitely not Dr Who's Tardis).

Hint (for those inclined):
One of the deepest and most profound laws of Physics says that: 'The maximum information that can be stuffed into a region of space is equal to the area of that region .. not the volume'.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Traditional Christian (and Jewish) interpretation is that Psalm 104 has to do with the creation, not the flood--so I'm ignoring that part.

Because a global flood would do no damage, makes sense -not.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Simply put, there was no globe-spanning flood.

So you are calling God a lier than?
Genesis 9
4 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”

If the flood was local than that is a lie.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You can interpret the passage as a reference to the flood if you want. I'm just telling you why I do not.

Since you are not a Christian it doesn't really matter.

But even if it was referring to creation-which you don't believe in anyway, a global flood with volcanic action would raise landmass. Both mountains as well as islands like Hawaii.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Genesis 9
4 Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, 15 I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. 16 Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth.”
.. If the flood was local than that is a lie.
Umm .. why is the 'I' and 'me' pronouns used in the beginning part of that clause and then reverts to almost a third person reference ie: 'God'?
I'm confused about who is doing the talking and who is doing the remembering in that clause

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,534.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Its a real pity your answers distort any given topic so much away from credible, rational, scientific discussions .. because I'd love to get into a conversation aimed at answering that question.
Oh, so you need a whole conversation to answer a simple question?

You can''t answer it in ten words or less?

You have to call on Chatty Cathy to start spewing science?

I'll do you a favor and withdraw the question, how's that?

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,244.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Oh, so you need a whole conversation to answer a simple question?

You can''t answer it in ten words or less?
I did (albeit in 25 words) ... in my 'Hint'.
Anyway, who says its a simple question?

AV1611VET said:
You have to call on Chatty Cathy to start spewing science?
I don't have a clue who that is .. but its sounds really nasty!

AV1611VET said:
I'll do you a favor and withdraw the question, how's that?
You could also consider going further than just that, I suppose(?)

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
You're right, I'm not a Christian--I'm an Anglican, what conservative Evangelicals like you in this country call a "Bible-hating, Christ denying commie." But the traditional understanding of the reference is widespread, and older than Christianity itself.

But even if it was referring to creation-which you don't believe in anyway, a global flood with volcanic action would raise landmass. Both mountains as well as islands like Hawaii.
I wouldn't use the Hawaiian Islands as an example if were you--they have proven an intractable problem for creationists.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟732,419.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
So you are calling God a lier than?

Only if you believe Jesus was a liar for telling parables. That's not a position I would take, as I think that's rather blasphemous.

Genesis 9

If the flood was local than that is a lie.

When Jesus said "This is My body" did He lie?

This is an opportunity for you to either retract your slanderous accusation against Christians who don't happen to interpret this passage the way you do, or for you to double down and maintain a hypocritical double standard.

Your choice. Do you grow as a person, or not?

-CryptoLutheran

Reactions: Speedwell
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

are you aware that all the islands of Hawaii came from a single volcano?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Have a good day. :)

Whenever someone asks you a difficult question you refuse to answer and instead run and hide from it - AND you make posts like this making it plain for all to see that you are running and hiding.

It's almost like you don't even want people to take you seriously.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Umm .. why is the 'I' and 'me' pronouns used in the beginning part of that clause and then reverts to almost a third person reference ie: 'God'?
I'm confused about who is doing the talking and who is doing the remembering in that clause

God is three in one, if you know the doctrine of the Trinity, so the swapping would be from that.

Upvote 0