catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
According to (1) and (2), all the seas and oceans combined contain 1.36 billion km³ of water.
Taking the Mount Everest at 8 kilometers, and the Earth radius at 6371 km. So to cover the Earth with flood waters you need to fill a shell of water with the thickness of the Mount Everest.
The volume of the shell, is given by:
V= 4/3 * Pi* (R³-r³)

Filling in the numbers give a required volume of water of 4 083 570 535 km³. That's more than 4 billion km³ that you need to cover the earth, to the height of Mount Everest.
Explain where 4 billion km³ came from and where it went.
Explain why we didn't find it (yet).

(1) How much water is in the ocean?
(2) Ocean's Depth and Volume Revealed | Live Science

I like trying to imagine it in just prosaic ways, like you. It's fun looking at it even with the almost certainly-false premise that God would be limited by physics we know... (even though physicists know we don't even know all physics yet(!)....)

(On the other hand, the idea of God being limited by physics is a non-realistic premise-- we are directly told explicitly that God can do "all things", even for instance such as stopping the progression of a day (!) (seemingly impossible by any physics as the Earth's rotational angular momentum could not be canceled)....

Either God exists, and He can therefore do physically impossible things,

or He doesn't exist, and thus cannot. In scripture, He can even create a Universe, even replace the heavens and Earth(!))

An important note:

A regional Flood, which is what very many Christians seem to think, would not even make it all that unusual, in Earth history...

Have a look ---
Evidence for a Flood | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

But you want just a certain set up -- the seemingly impossible and under the unstated premise (implied strongly) that God is limited by known physics, right?

Is that correct?

If so, that's fun too, even if only irrelevant side-question way, and astrophysics and planetary stuff is a fun topic to me, and I'll be happy to speculate.

You could try a low angle comet, maybe an ice comet, colliding in deep ocean, vaporizing many cubic miles of water all at once. Saturating the Earth's atmosphere for a true global rain event, deluge. That's a way to get weeks of rain globally. And land flooding in a big way around the world also.

That's only speculation just using known physics.

Like it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,757.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Yet you both share an adoration of a literal Genesis. One wonders what good it does you.
It generates happy hormones inside.
Speedwell said:
Why not cut to the chase and adore Christ?
Why not do both?

• Agree
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yet you both share an adoration of a literal Genesis. One wonders what good it does you. Why not cut to the chase and adore Christ?

It's interesting to muse on and ponder the flood, even down to unrecorded details, mainly because it is recorded as an actual event.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
It's interesting to muse on and ponder the flood, mainly because it is recorded as an actual event.
Yes, I know that is what you believe; what I don't know is what good it does you.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,158,922.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
It is fun, but doesn't really answer my question.
I cannot speak to any one individual, but one thing that can happen I think is for some to get a wrong idea that if something is different than their pastor said, or a pastor from their youth perhaps, that having that mere doctrine disprove or shaken would somehow disprove God. Of course, this would be a terrible condition, to feel as if God is somehow dependent on what a pastor claimed.

E.g., if some pastor preached some doctrine like a young earth (which is not in the Bible actually!, but required added ideas/assumptions), and preached it in a way to make it seem that if the pastor had the doctrine/interpretation/assumptions/added-ideas wrong somewhere, it would mean the Bible is false, etc.

Upvote 0