Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
They were likely looking for the 'traditional' flood; the one pictured by various artists over time. The flood story reveals the real flood. One can get a pretty good picture by observing large flood events today. Observing the daily tides is also helpful.
You ... you mean this picture is a fake!?

images

But ... but it's exactly how people think we should interpret it!

Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
which woudl have caused turbulence making the dispersion of fresh water go even faster

you don't want to believe the Word of God .. that is certainly your choice ... I choose to believe His Word as written have no reasons to believe otherwise.

Satan is the father of lies ...... God is the father of truth.

• Winner
Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
you don't want to believe the Word of God .. that is certainly your choice ... I choose to believe His Word as written have no reasons to believe otherwise.

Satan is the father of lies ...... God is the father of truth.

failing to holdup your faulty try at science you engage in a personal attack.

The truth is and has always been that fresh water entering the oceans almost immediately dissipates into that salt water

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟718,686.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
failing to holdup your faulty try at science you engage in a personal attack.

The truth is and has always been that fresh water entering the oceans almost immediately dissipates into that salt water

I didn't ... and don't claim to be a scientist ... put forth a couple of possibilities ... theories ... you know ... like science does.

People believe whatever they want ... so be it ... not a big deal.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟301,650.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
You're thinking only three dimensional.

Paul speaks of four dimensions of space.

Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;

In addition ... and correct me if I'm wrong ... science speaks of some 11 dimensions, does it not?

If I give you a diagram of a cube, could you label these four dimensions?

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Any evidence of this or are you just making it up?

Water came from both the 'heavens' and water from under the earth.
Genesis 7
on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Enough water to cover the mountains as the OP said.

Genesis 7:20
The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.
That is, about 23 feet or about 6.8 meters above the mountains then, when it happened, not now.

The height of the mountains we don't even know, only that they rose and the valleys fell indicating a more even terrain before the flood.

Psalm 104:8
The mountains rose, the valleys sank down to the place that you appointed for them.
The Bible says the fountains of the deep broke forth. It doesn't say 'volcanic action' but it very well could have been that plus tectonic plate movement.
Plate Tectonics and Volcanic Activity

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Water came from both the 'heavens' and water from under the earth.
Genesis 7
on that day all the fountains of the great deep were broken up, and the windows of heaven were opened.

Enough water to cover the mountains as the OP said.

Genesis 7:20
The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits.
That is, about 23 feet or about 6.8 meters above the mountains then, when it happened, not now.

The height of the mountains we don't even know,
yet you said with confidence that "Mt Everest was not 8848 at the time of the flood."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
That's right it wasn't, what part of 'the mountains rose up' don't you get?
The part where it happened in ca. 2300 BC and nobody noticed.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
AV1611VET said:
Kylie said:
AV1611VET said:
You're thinking only three dimensional.
Paul speaks of four dimensions of space.
Ephesians 3:18 May be able to comprehend with all saints what is the breadth, and length, and depth, and height;
In addition ... and correct me if I'm wrong ... science speaks of some 11 dimensions, does it not?
If I give you a diagram of a cube, could you label these four dimensions?
Is this a trick question? a cube is three dimensional.
Umm .. what was this total diversion about?
@AV1611VET: Could you please elaborate on your above obvious contradiction?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,906,559.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Umm .. what was this total diversion about?
@AV1611VET: Could you please elaborate on your above obvious contradiction?
See Post 6.

Why wonder where the water came from (or went to), when there are at least eleven dimensions?

There could be 6 quintillion miles (to the billionth power) of water stored somewhere in this universe, and we'd never see it.

I'm fond of pointing out that the Ark was some kind of TARDIS booth.

Meaning the inside of the Ark was larger than its outside.

The Ark could have stored a trillion suns, if God so ordered them there.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,641.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The part where it happened in ca. 2300 BC and nobody noticed.

So why so interested in the first part? "The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits." You can't have one without the other, both are scripture about the same event.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
So why so interested in the first part? "The waters rose and covered the mountains to a depth of more than fifteen cubits." You can't have one without the other, both are scripture about the same event.
The Traditional Christian (and Jewish) interpretation is that Psalm 104 has to do with the creation, not the flood--so I'm ignoring that part.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,344.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
See Post 6.

Why wonder where the water came from (or went to), when there are at least eleven dimensions?

There could be 6 quintillion miles (to the billionth power) of water stored somewhere in this universe, and we'd never see it.

Thanks for your response .. (even if I have to apologise to everyone else for bringing such a confused sub-conversation to the forefront).

A cube can be described by making use of the familiar three dimensions of objects we see everyday. Three dimensions thus form part of the attributes which define: 'cube'.

A tesseract can be defined as a four dimensional analogue of a three dimensional cube.

In your quote, Paul was clearly not speaking of four dimensional space, as he defines exactly what he meant (as per your quote): 'breadth, and length, and depth, and height' .. which still only invokes three dimensional space.

The eleven dimensions you refer to, are characteristics of spacetime, which only have meaning in a the context of the SuperString theoretical variant of String Theory (ST). In the 'standard' ST, we see only 3 everyday spatial dimensions and one time dimension, and the other 6 spatial dimensions are then conceptualised as being compactified. (Compactification is a way of 'rescuing' the theory so that instead of conceptualising an infinite dimension, the theory reconceptualises it as having a finite length, thence restoring the concept of periodicity).
The eleven dimensions you mention, is then just an extension of the numbers of spatial dimensions in ST, but still makes use of the same above notion of compactification.

There is no way water could be 'hidden' in such a compactification notion, because the molecules defining water, are orders of magnitudes larger than those where such compactified dimensions could add any possible physical meaning to the term 'water' in any of its macroscopically known physical states.

Your invoking Dr Who sci-fi for explaining Noah's ark doesn't work either because Dr Who was fiction .. whose authors left behind objective 'meta-data' demonstrating their authorship, which stands up to scientific scrutiny (and independent review thereof).
(I get you were of course joking about that part though).

Upvote 0

fwGod

Dec 19, 2005
✟65,262.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Your fondness for making statements based on sci-fi rather than based on the Bible.. is misleading and borders on flirting with deception.

I'm a Christian and I believe the flood of Noah account, but what you've said just makes the already hard to accept flood account by unbelievers sound even more like so much fantasy which no prophet or teacher in the Bible was want to do.

God didn't need to store any suns in the ark because their habitation is out in space, not the earth. So drowning would not be their concern. Those balls of heat don't have concerns but I hope you get what I'm saying.

Further more, God didn't give Noah and his sons any kind of multiple dimensional knowledge or building equipment beyond what was known to man at the time, so they (4 men working steadily for over 120 years (men living for a great length of years is hard enough to believe) ..
they couldn't have made anything more than a large ship to support multiple animals of various species and water-tight enough to withstand furiously active waters (due to the deluge of downpour as it's never happened before and thank God never will again) ..and strong enough against leakage beyond the length of time that it was actually used. (there's no mention of the ark being so battered that the tar was starting to weaken and cause leakage nor was mentioned any other wear and tear)

The materials that they used are clearly stated and nothing more. So what you are talking about is based on scriptural silence and your own imagination. The Bible states that what is written is not fairytales so it's not wise to talk about what's written in the Bible as anything else but real world facts and Biblically well substantiated truth.
(It didn't state anywhere that a miracle occurred at any time during the event, but I'd call God being the One to call the animals to make their journey to the ark, a miracle, and, to close the door.. a miracle, in that it seemingly closed by itself)

Finally, I do hope that you don't teach impressionable children in church Sunday school.

Reactions: SelfSim
Upvote 0

ViaCrucis

Confessional Lutheran
Oct 2, 2011
Pacific Northwest
✟731,191.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Simply put, there was no globe-spanning flood. That simply isn't the point of the story.

This is like Jesus talking about the Good Samaritan, and then trying to figure out which village in Samaria the Samaritan was from, what his name was, what did he do for a living that he could afford to have the man that was taken to the inn cared for so thoroughly? And also, What was his dog's name?

That's just not even remotely the point.

-CryptoLutheran

Upvote 0