Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Divorced
Amen! Thank you!

I give God the credit though.
Humility and self-effacement are two of your more endearing characteristics AV.

On this occasion however, I think we can be pretty sure that God didn't think this one up. The kudos is yours - you deserve it. :)
OB

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
SelfSim said:
Depends on your reason for putting yourself in the situation of having to provide an answer to the question in the first place, I suppose.

An honest 'I don't know' is probably the answer enquiring minds are seeking .. you can't rule out the possibility the question is aimed at probing your honesty (and thus your credibility).
But let me ask you this:

Knowing that there are eleven dimensions of space ... or even thinking there may be ... why would someone ask how all the animals fit aboard the Ark?
Easy:
- no one knows that in the first place .. Thinking it makes the question therefore hypothetical. Animals and Arks can be described in three dimensions (maybe four, including time also) .. so the hypothesised extra dimensions are unnecessary (moot) as far as providing a testable explanation.

AV1611VET said:
A more potent question:

Knowing (or suspecting) there are more than three dimensions of space, wouldn't it be disingenuous to say x,y, or z couldn't fit aboard the Ark?
Not after the above implied objective test (in 3+1 dimensions) has been carried out.
(The answer will probably be in the negative depending on the assumed test conditions of that exercise).

Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm not sure, to be honest.

But for those who swear by the town clock that three dimensions aren't, I would like to introduce them to what string theory can do for them.
Which one is that the 26, 10 or 11 dimensional versions?
Here is a brief science lesson.
You may have heard of the inverse square law of gravity which is proportional to 1/r².
This applies to 3D space.
For higher dimensional space n > 3 the gravitational law is proportional to 1/rⁿ⁻¹.
This is a big problem to sting theorists because centuries of testing have always found the 1/r² law to be the case indicating space is 3D.
To get around this problem these extra dimensions if they exist must be extremely small or compactified.
It doesn't help your Ark one iota.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Which one is that the 26, 10 or 11 dimensional versions?
Here is a brief science lesson.
You may have heard of the inverse square law of gravity which is proportional to 1/r².
This applies to 3D space.
For higher dimensional space n > 3 the gravitational law is proportional to 1/rⁿ⁻¹.
This is a big problem to sting theorists because centuries of testing have always found the 1/r² law to be the case indicating space is 3D.
To get around this problem these extra dimensions if they exist must be extremely small or compactified.
It doesn't help your Ark one iota.
.. and if those extra dimensions must be extremely small or compactified, (ie: in order to get around the problem), they also can't be applied (or relevant) to macroscopic objects such as animals or arks! Animals and arks cannot be treated as quantum mechanical objects, eh?
(Here we go again ... :) )

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟277,740.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
.. and if those extra dimensions must be extremely small or compactified, (ie: in order to get around the problem), they also can't be applied (or relevant) to macroscopic objects such as animals or arks! Animals and arks cannot be treated as quantum mechanical objects, eh?

This goes even beyond quantum mechanical scales of sub atomic particles.
The compactified dimensions are at the Planck scale of 10⁻³⁵ m.
Even an electron is too large (Compton wavelength 2.246 x 10⁻¹² m) at the Planck scale.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
The whole premise is approaching this entire matter from a fundamentally flawed angle. The issue is not and has never been whether God could make the flood and ark function as you believed they did, but rather, whether He would.

Having studied God's creation, in my opinion, He wouldn't.

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟177,143.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
The whole premise is approaching this entire matter from a fundamentally flawed angle. The issue is not and has never been whether God could make the flood and ark function as you believed they did, but rather, whether He would.

Extraordinary!
How is this one gonna be resolved then?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Strathos

No one important
Dec 11, 2012
God's Earth
✟263,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Extraordinary!
How is this one gonna be resolved then?

Expect a lot of waffling about how embedding billions of years of detailed history into nature that never actually happened doesn't count as deception for some reason.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

And of course, that's your choice to believe that.

But by believing that, you have to relegate the Ark to myth status, else how could all those animals fit into it?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,219.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Which realm has more space to move about? a one dimensional one, or a two dimensional one?

Which realm has more space to move about? a two dimensional one, or a three dimensional one?

Which realm has more space to move about? a three dimensional one, or a four dimensional one?

Which takes up more space? a square or a cube? a cube or a tesseract? a tesseract or a ...?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.