Sacorro NM
✟110,365.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Divorced
The question of course is what you mean by "space". Scientific models have the universe as finite expanding from a big bang, based on observation models. . The model is finite that is, not necessarily the reality.

But our universe may only be one small piece of an all together bigger space.
Maybe as "hitchikers guide" once said, our own universe is so small and irrelevant the whole of it is only worth two words and just classed as "mostly harmless" in someones encyclopaedia. And "other dimensions" are much more fun, and where it is at.... Maybe our fathers house has other mansions a long way from here...

And that is even more scary, to think there is many spaces not just one.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟829,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Enough to fit a zillion animals into a wooden structure 450 x 75 x 45 x n?

How big is a zillion? How much volume is the average animal? I take it the measurements are in English feet, and not cubits?

Upvote 0

Mountainmike

Site Supporter
Nov 2, 2016
Northern uk
✟561,189.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
It doesn't really.

The word " really" of course is the issue.

What it does demonstrate is the model is not a representation of reality , it is only a model of behaviour.
So the postulation of infinite selves, is only an infinite number of models of self.

It is only by considering such as wave function collapse or single photon interference , that the philosophical context can be explored of what you actually know.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
The word " really" of course is the issue.

What it does demonstrate is the model is not a representation of reality , it is only a model of behaviour.
So the postulation of infinite selves, is only an infinite number of models of self.

It is only by considering such as wave function collapse or single photon interference , that the philosophical context can be explored of what you actually know.
It doesn't postulate infinite selves or models of self. Some kinds of multiverse hypotheses predict or imply many versions of self; whether it's an infinite number depends on whether the multiverse in question is infinite.

The multiverse hypotheses themselves are predictions of widely accepted scientific theories, given certain assumptions.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
We cannot possibly say. All our science is an observation model: a game we play on paper and computers, that just models a projection into our senses, not the underlying reality.
Consider that what you mean when you use the term 'underlying reality' is, itself, nothing more than a testable model.

I can almost guarantee that you cannot cite an objective test that leads us all to the conclusion that some reality exists independently from the way the human mind conceptualises (or models) the meaning of 'reality'. (Let's see you do that without using either your mind, or other human minds).

Our reality is conceptualised models all the way down ... this is what the human mind does .. there is no escaping that as yet, unfortunately .. its called Mind Dependent Reality (MDR) and Mind Independent Reality (MIR) is, itself, just another mind-model.

Models ARE our reality!

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Consider that what you mean when you use the term 'underlying reality' is, itself, nothing more than a testable model.

I can almost guarantee that you cannot cite an objective test that leads us all to the conclusion that some reality exists independently from the way the human mind conceptualises (or models) the meaning of 'reality'. (Let's see you do that without using either your mind, or other human minds).

Our reality is conceptualised models all the way down ... this is what the human mind does .. there is no escaping that as yet, unfortunately .. its called Mind Dependent Reality (MDR) and Mind Independent Reality (MIR) is, itself, just another mind-model.

Models ARE our reality!
That's very Hegelian ;)

Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
That's very Hegelian ;)
Never heard of it .. Should I have? .. Why? .. :p

What I said relies on objective testing applied to the meaning in our language and the evidence such testing produces .. and not on the belief in the existence of some 'mind-independent thing', (with the latter producing no evidence whatsoever).
No (pre) assumptions needed ..

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,642.00
Faith
Atheist
Never heard of it .. Should I have? .. Why? .. :p

What I said relies on objective testing applied to the meaning in our language and the evidence such testing produces .. and not on the belief in the existence of some 'mind-independent thing', (with the latter producing no evidence whatsoever).
No (pre) assumptions needed ..
Hegel reworked Kant's concept of the world consisting of things that are essentially unknowable, i.e. that we only perceive aspects of according to our indirect perceptions (phenomena), and we can never know the nature of things-in-themselves (noumena), so our phenomenal world is a mental construct. Hegel suggested that both perceiver and perceived were noumenal (manifestations of the Absolute, 'geist' - spirit or essence), so we are part of the same world, and can directly grasp (have knowledge of) its nature.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SelfSim

A non "-ist"
Jun 23, 2014
✟176,930.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Private
Hegel reworked Kant's concept of the world ....
So it all remained as a bunch of mind concepts based on untestable assumptions, eh?
Not particularly practical or useful then.
Ideal materials for establishing yet more religious beliefs.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Status
Not open for further replies.