My Dental Challenge

How would you describe Adam's condition?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,296.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It seems this is a difficult question to answer...
AV probably meant that God does not need satan (either we consider him to be a real being or just a personification of our evil inclinations) for Him as such. God does not have any needs as a being/substance.

He needs satan for the created world, to represent what is evil, though. So, he is needed for a specific purpose in that world.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
AV probably meant that God does not need satan (either we consider him to be a real being or just a personification of our evil inclinations) for Him as such. God does not have any needs as a being/substance.

Kylie wanted to know why God didn't just annihilate Satan, and that would be the end of it.

But insurrections don't work that way, and I pointed out that another angel would just take his place.

Now she wants to know why God doesn't just annihilate the whole shebang.

You answer one question, and the questions just get worse.

Eventually you just have to quit responding and roll with the punches that come afterward.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,296.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Kylie wanted to know why God didn't just annihilate Satan, and that would be the end of it.

But insurrections don't work that way, and I pointed out that another angel would just take his place.

Eventually you just have to quit responding and roll with the punches that come afterward.
The answer is quite simple - because Satan serves his purpose. Like for example wolves serve their purpose.

Demanding the immediate destruction of everything that is unpleasant to us is childish and too simplistic.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The answer is quite simple - because Satan serves his purpose.

Who's purpose? Satans, or God's?

God certainly didn't purpose Satan.

God purposed Lucifer.

But Lucifer exercised his freewill and rebelled, and a third of the angelic realm rebelled with him.

Should God annihilate Satan, I'm sure there are many candidates willing to take his place.

Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟150,296.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

God purposed Lucifer.

But Lucifer exercised his freewill and rebelled, and a third of the angelic realm rebelled with him.

Should God annihilate Satan, I'm sure there are many candidates willing to take his place.

Everything is designed, from past to future, to serve its purpose. Nothing is out of control, not even our will.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

He needs satan for the created world, to represent what is evil, though. So, he is needed for a specific purpose in that world.
Why have evil in the first place though?

And if Satan hadn't gone against God, what would God have done? Would God have created some entity specifically to be evil?

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Seems that the questions aren't getting worse, they are getting unanswerable (for you, at least).

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

God purposed Lucifer.

And again I ask why God doesn't just get rid of all the candidates as well.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I haven’t read every post in this thread. My question may have already been addressed.

If Adam had absolutely perfect teeth, why would he be seeing a dentist? :scratch:

Routine checkup.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,249.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Routine checkup.

But you said he'd never yet eaten:

He lists his age as 20 years old, says he has never eaten yet, and you examine him.

Someone claiming to be 20 years old, who says he's never eaten, would need way more than a routine dental checkup. He'd need a full medical, neurological, and psychiatric exam.

• Winner
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Someone claiming to be 20 years old, who says he's never eaten, would need way more than a routine dental checkup. He'd need a full medical, neurological, and psychiatric exam.

I take it voting MIRACLE is not an option then?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,910,519.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'd vote DEBACLE. In the intellectual sense. It saddens me that in the 21st century, some people still believe in ancient myths.

I would say, that if what happened in the OP happened tomorrow, all "ancient myths" can take a hike.

I'm just wondering how you would explain it, if you were the dentist.

If you said it didn't happen, then you'd be lying to yourself.

If you said it did happen, but it reminded you of some "ancient myth" isn't really assessing your experience properly.

Upvote 0

Kylie

Defeater of Illogic
Nov 23, 2013
✟302,107.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I give up.

Why?
You tell me. You're the one who is claiming he's not doing it.

As for me, I don't need the same religious explanation you seem to require to explain why there's evil. When a religion claims there is an all powerful God who is also all knowing and all loving, then the existence of evil is an insurmountable problem. There can be no answer that stands up to any scrutiny. That, I think is why you have refused to answer the question - because you know you can't provide one.

But from an atheistic point of view, the answer is very simple. There is no God, there is no devil, and people are sometimes just really horrible. No need to invent evil spirits to explain it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.