My Christian friend won’t read The Bible!

SeekingGloryOnThisJourney

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
My friend is a Christian. She talks about God all the time. She says God speaks to her clearly. But she also thinks God will give her whatever she desires. (She doesn’t desire a relationship because she doesn’t want someone to “rule” over her. Not saying that wanting to be single is bad, but suppose it’s God’s Will for otherwise.) I was alright with this, some desire partners and others do not. Then she started saying she doesn’t feel a calling to read the Bible. I showed her some Bible verses and I explained that when we read the Word the Holy Spirit strengths us. She said she has already received the Holy Spirit and she looks up Verses every once in a while, and she see’s them on another friend’s poste. I could tell I was upsetting her so I stopped the topic. I don’t want her to loose ties to this Worship group, but I want her to read at least a page of the Scripture a day. What do I do?

Last edited:

crossnote

Berean
Site Supporter
May 16, 2010
So. Cal.
✟250,751.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
My friend is a Christian. She talks about God all the time. She says God speaks to her clearly. But she also thinks God will give her whatever she desires. (She doesn’t desire a relationship because she doesn’t want someone to “rule” over her. Not saying that wanting to be single is bad, but suppose it’s God’s Will for otherwise.) I was alright with this, some desire partners and others do not. Then she started saying she doesn’t feel a calling to read the Bible. I showed her some Bible verses and I explained that when we read the Word the Holy Spirit strengths us. She said she has already received the Holy Spirit and she looks up Verses every once in a while. I could tell I was upsetting her so I stopped the topic. I don’t want her to loose ties to this Worship group, but I want her to read at least a page of the Scripture a day. What do I do?
All kinds of gods but only one true God who has revealed Himself in His Word.
Isaiah 8:20 (KJV) To the law and to the testimony: if they speak not according to this word, it is because there is no light in them.
It sounds as though your friend is listening to a different spirit rather than the Holy Spirit.
1 Timothy 4:1 (KJV) Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
It's not an uncommon attitude. We read versions of it in the threads here all the time.

But when what she wants doesn't come to pass, she may be forced to re-think her attitude. All you may be able to do--other than pray--is be ready with a sympathetic ear and good advice when she is ready to hear it.

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,429.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
if she doesnt seek a relationship she will not go to heaven he will ay i never knew you. best advice i know is say read one page a day and see how it goes. im trying to take my advice as i have a relationship with god and he spoke to me but i havent read the bible in a while as with my ocd it it puts evil thought and im too vulnerable people say like doctors and stuff so i cant understand it atall so i get help from a friend whos a evangilist. but she gotta adapt im a hardcore gamer and i never wanted anyone to rule over me i dont now except from jesus i wnt him to rule over me and guide to safety

Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
My friend is a Christian. She talks about God all the time. She says God speaks to her clearly. But she also thinks God will give her whatever she desires. (She doesn’t desire a relationship because she doesn’t want someone to “rule” over her. Not saying that wanting to be single is bad, but suppose it’s God’s Will for otherwise.) I was alright with this, some desire partners and others do not. Then she started saying she doesn’t feel a calling to read the Bible. I showed her some Bible verses and I explained that when we read the Word the Holy Spirit strengths us. She said she has already received the Holy Spirit and she looks up Verses every once in a while. I could tell I was upsetting her so I stopped the topic. I don’t want her to loose ties to this Worship group, but I want her to read at least a page of the Scripture a day. What do I do?
It sounds like a person just thinking up their preferred version of God, then just slapping the label of the Biblical God onto it.

Upvote 0
Feb 2, 2016
Chattanooga, TN USA
Visit site
✟246,905.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
*Blindpost*

Sometimes the only Bible a lost person will read is you and me. We're living letters with the Truth engraved on our hearts. Just live out the truth of God's love in your daily life. If she sees the difference then praise God. You've delivered someone by your witness. If she continues to go on living in sin and ignorance then shake the dust off your feet. She needs no further revelation.

Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I never want to force someone to do anything. Then when I am no ones God. Far as I know I am saved even if I never read that bible again. The simple fact how many during Christs walk here and then how many years after .. NO ONE had a bible. And there not that many that had the RIGHT to have the Torah. Yet.. they all made it just fine.

Sometimes telling someone you must.. can turn them away. We can be come a stumbling block. The thing is.. have faith. Well you had nothing what so ever to do with this. He did. And its written what HE starts He will finis :) have faith the work He started He is going to finish it. He never fails. He will put the spark that fire to read. For man will never glory in His sight. So be of good cheer! God has this! He really does.

So pray for her.. not what you want.. but for her.

Reactions: SunAndRain
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

God is good777

Mar 26, 2020
Panhandle of idaho
✟29,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
if she doesnt seek a relationship she will not go to heaven he will ay i never knew you. best advice i know is say read one page a day and see how it goes. im trying to take my advice as i have a relationship with god and he spoke to me but i havent read the bible in a while as with my ocd it it puts evil thought and im too vulnerable people say like doctors and stuff so i cant understand it atall so i get help from a friend whos a evangilist. but she gotta adapt im a hardcore gamer and i never wanted anyone to rule over me i dont now except from jesus i wnt him to rule over me and guide to safety
I'm in the same boat as you man I have a hard time with it all. I have pretty bad OCD and also am a hard core gamer. Just remember those who seek God he will open up to and won't turn you away. Sometimes I have a hard time with faith I have slot of doubts also because of OCD that I have delt with my whole life. Keep fighting the good fight Jesus has you in the palm of his hand. If you read the Bible and have evil thoughts just pray for Jesus to take them away and just ignore them. It's just Satan shooting his flaming darts of lies at you. I know it all to well I hope things get better for you God bless!

• Friendly
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

Shane McKenzie

Mar 26, 2020
Perth
✟8,423.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
My friend is a Christian. She talks about God all the time. She says God speaks to her clearly. But she also thinks God will give her whatever she desires. (She doesn’t desire a relationship because she doesn’t want someone to “rule” over her. Not saying that wanting to be single is bad, but suppose it’s God’s Will for otherwise.) I was alright with this, some desire partners and others do not. Then she started saying she doesn’t feel a calling to read the Bible. I showed her some Bible verses and I explained that when we read the Word the Holy Spirit strengths us. She said she has already received the Holy Spirit and she looks up Verses every once in a while, and she see’s them on another friend’s poste. I could tell I was upsetting her so I stopped the topic. I don’t want her to loose ties to this Worship group, but I want her to read at least a page of the Scripture a day. What do I do?

Tell her what you want, accept her rejection and then decide for yourself whether you want to be her friend or not instead of trying to change her.

Upvote 0

coffee4u

Dec 11, 2018
Australia
✟157,841.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I prefer to assume the best first before jumping to judgments such as 'listening to another Spirit'. We do not know what is going on in another person's heart and mind only God does.

Perhaps your friend has dyslexia? You may not be aware of it as people often hide it well, but will always wiggle out of reading situations. Offer her the App like jacks mentioned and pray for her.

Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Stop being unreasonable. You know what Jesus said to the
woman who was nearly stoned for prostitution? He said
"I don't condemn you either. You should stop sinning."
That's all He said. You could leave off the second line
since your not God.

Upvote 0

longwait

Mar 14, 2016
asia
✟85,978.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Your friend sounds 100% like someone I know very well. Which country is she originally from? They will only hear what they want to hear. Itching ears.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
It's possible she can't read very well. (People never like to admit this.) Perhaps THIS app would be good, it is simple and will read to you. Of course just say you like the app, don't say it is for people who can't read well.
Woah, actually I never thought of this. English is not her first language. Romanian is. She does write with grammar issues. I’ll take this into consideration. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Apr 13, 2020
Massachusetts
✟29,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
How old is she? Maybe she is still maturing and trying to find herself. She'll come around sooner or later. Does she read otherwise for pleasure?
15, but she’s pretty mature for her age. Her family isn’t Christian, only she is and her sister.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Can you find her a bible in her native language and give it to her? At 15 there could be a lot of issues with her upbringing and other culture and peer pressure issues that has her now wishing to read the Bible. I've come across a lot of people who claim to be Christian but don't care to read the Bible at all. There is Bibles that are spoken and tv programs that go through the Bible so you can listen to them don't have to read at all.
IMO a worship group that scripture doesn't pop up on occasion may not be that great either. Worship is fine but usually you do have Bible verses in songs and themes maybe not directly word for word scripture but based upon it. Teens often are either very into something or hardly not at all often their attention span is limited and they are often very outspoken Christians that can easily be lead astray do to lack of knowledge which is mostly contained in the Bible itself. I would talk to her sister a little about reading the Bible and see what she says about it, don't push just plant a seed with her sister and see what happens as there are people who won't try new things unless someone that they know and trust does it first.

Upvote 0

kvolm

Feb 28, 2018
SoCal
✟17,230.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just wanted to add this thought as well since you mentioned that this young lady is Romanian. I spent some time doing ministry there and the Orthodox church is the predominant religious influence there. The tradition is not for people to read the Bible for themselves but for the Bible to be interpreted,told, taught to them by religious leaders. So this would absolutely affect the view that she holds of personally engaging with Bible reading.
I appreciate that you have a strong discipline of Bible engagement as we absolutely should in our daily walk with Christ and that you want that same vibrant source for your friend. Pray for God to give her a hunger for the Word. That is a prayer that is completely in line with God's will for her!

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0