talktopaul

Nov 17, 2011
✟7,684.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hi all,

I'm in my second last year studying Psychology in Australia, and I thought I'd share my most valuable tip for studying . . . . . it's got me through 7 years of study and 3 of those with kids . . . . so here it is:

Lower your standards - This is critical. 50% of your effort gives 90% of the reward, so put in lots of 50%'ers and you'll end up getting lots of work done. It's how lots of really successful people operate. Nothing needs to be perfect - just acceptable.

What do you reckon???

Oh, and if anyone (aged 18-29) is interested in participating in my 20min online drinking survey (as part of my study), please follow this link. I'd really appreciate it, as each participant takes me one step closer to finishing my degree. Yay!!!

Cheers all
Paul Beaton
Deakin University - Psychology

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Hi all,

I'm in my second last year studying Psychology in Australia, and I thought I'd share my most valuable tip for studying . . . . . it's got me through 7 years of study and 3 of those with kids . . . . so here it is:

Lower your standards - This is critical. 50% of your effort gives 90% of the reward, so put in lots of 50%'ers and you'll end up getting lots of work done. It's how lots of really successful people operate. Nothing needs to be perfect - just acceptable.

What do you reckon???

Oh, and if anyone (aged 18-29) is interested in participating in my 20min online drinking survey (as part of my study), please follow this link. I'd really appreciate it, as each participant takes me one step closer to finishing my degree. Yay!!!

Cheers all
Paul Beaton
Deakin University - Psychology

Hi Paul, I sent the link to my d; she may be interested in helping.

I am afraid she is the kind of person to aim for 90%, even if it takes a little longer. But you are right; too much perfectionism does have the potential to lower productivity, if we are not careful. :wave:

Upvote 0

talktopaul

Nov 17, 2011
✟7,684.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Hi Paul, I sent the link to my d; she may be interested in helping.

I am afraid she is the kind of person to aim for 90%, even if it takes a little longer. But you are right; too much perfectionism does have the potential to lower productivity, if we are not careful. :wave:

Thanks Catherineanne - much appreciated. Hope the tip helps. I've found it to be really useful especially when I'm feeling snowed under with work. The other thing I find useful in these situations is to concentrate on doing one thing at a time (rather that attempting to do everything at once). Maybe this is because I'm a male, and not so good at multi-tasking, but I find that when I get stressed I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time, and if I try I just waste a lot of time looking busy but not being particularly productive.

Upvote 0

Catherineanne

Sep 1, 2004
Europe
✟76,860.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
Thanks Catherineanne - much appreciated. Hope the tip helps. I've found it to be really useful especially when I'm feeling snowed under with work. The other thing I find useful in these situations is to concentrate on doing one thing at a time (rather that attempting to do everything at once). Maybe this is because I'm a male, and not so good at multi-tasking, but I find that when I get stressed I can't concentrate on more than one thing at a time, and if I try I just waste a lot of time looking busy but not being particularly productive.

I agree. Making a list helps too. Write everything down, and then grade them according to priority. Then do all the 1s then the 2s etc.

Every evening before you finish work make a list for the following day; that makes it easier not to worry.

Another good idea is to make a project plan for complex pieces of work; divide the task into its smallest possible components, and put them into a schedule, with milestones along the way. At each milestone give yourself a reward. If you miss a milestone, you know that the final deadline is in danger; don't panic just re-plan and make sure you don't let it slip again. And while you are planning, plan in time to relax as well.

Project planning is the secret to a (relatively) stress free life. :wave:

Upvote 0

talktopaul

Nov 17, 2011
✟7,684.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I agree. Making a list helps too. Write everything down, and then grade them according to priority. Then do all the 1s then the 2s etc.

Every evening before you finish work make a list for the following day; that makes it easier not to worry.

Another good idea is to make a project plan for complex pieces of work; divide the task into its smallest possible components, and put them into a schedule, with milestones along the way. At each milestone give yourself a reward. If you miss a milestone, you know that the final deadline is in danger; don't panic just re-plan and make sure you don't let it slip again. And while you are planning, plan in time to relax as well.

Project planning is the secret to a (relatively) stress free life. :wave:

Great tips! Maybe I'll try a bit of project planning right now in fact.

Upvote 0