Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My Acer laptop is not working right. The monitor sometimes goes blank for a few seconds for no reason and the mouse pointer locks up for a few seconds. I ran a virus software and it found no problems. The laptop is a 2014 model.

Thanks for the help.

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
My Acer laptop is not working right. The monitor sometimes goes blank for a few seconds for no reason and the mouse pointer locks up for a few seconds. I ran a virus software and it found no problems. The laptop is a 2014 model.

Thanks for the help.
May be an electronic problem between the graphic card and the monitor. Its probably best to clean it and if it will not help, give it to a repair shop or buy a new one...

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

What does the Task Manager tell you about performance? Is any process chewing up resources?

• Informative
Reactions: Johnboy60
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My Acer laptop is not working right. The monitor sometimes goes blank for a few seconds for no reason and the mouse pointer locks up for a few seconds.

Question: can you see the mouse pointer while the screen is otherwise blank?

Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Question: can you see the mouse pointer while the screen is otherwise blank?
When it goes blank no mouse pointer. The fan will come on when I have two or more news video running at same time.

Thanks for the help.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Johnboy60

Looking For Interesting News.
Dec 28, 2003
Tennessee
✟306,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
That makes a loose connection to the screen more plausible (as @Lost4words said).

But that makes me think that perhaps the laptop is overloaded. A 2014 model, did you say?
Yes it's a 2014 model. I'm going to replace with updated laptop or a desktop. Do you know of any online computer stores that are good?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Wookiee

Cool. Cool, cool, cool.
Jul 19, 2013
Australia
✟50,940.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
I would say something's probably dying if it's 6 years old and playing up. That's exceeding the lifespan for most laptops.

If you're going to replace it, I'd personally recommend anything that isn't Acer. If you get a laptop: HP, ASUS, Toshiba, Dell. I'm not a fan of most brand name desktops, but I'd probably still roll with the aforementioned brands.

I don't know where is reputable in the US, but I imagine you have a number of options. Just bear in mind with COVID that options are a bit more limited than they usually are.

May be an electronic problem between the graphic card and the monitor. Its probably best to clean it, with vacuum cleaner and if it will not help, give it to a repair shop or buy a new one...

Do not use a vacuum cleaner to try and clean out a computer as the nozzle can generate static electricity.

You're much better off using compressed air; even then I wouldn't recommend it unless you know what you're doing. You need to make sure the fans can be either held or blocked from spinning so it doesn't kill the bearings.

• Agree
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

JesseBassett

Follower of the way, the truth, and the life....
Angels Team
CF Senior Ambassador
Site Supporter
Apr 17, 2004
Inver Grove Heights, MN, USA
Visit site
✟423,488.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yes it's a 2014 model. I'm going to replace with updated laptop or a desktop. Do you know of any online computer stores that are good?
Amazon.com or newegg.com are good choices for that.

• Agree
Reactions: elytron
Upvote 0

solid_core

Oct 13, 2019
Vienna
✟50,919.00
Country
Austria
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Do not use a vacuum cleaner to try and clean out a computer as the nozzle can generate static electricity.
OK, I did not mean a powerful vacuum cleaners people use for their appartments. I better deleted this advice, I do not know how to say in English what I mean.

Upvote 0

mnorian

Oldbie--Eternal Optimist
In Memory Of
Mar 9, 2013
✟980,332.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Thanks for the help.

Sounds like your Ram memory is full.

My 2015 HP has problems like that; and I cleaned everything I could out of the start menu and the task tray; using the Task Manager and Control panel. Apps that I longer used.

Also; when on the net; try to keep the minimum number of tabs open; and only one video running at a time.

I've done these things; and my LT; while not fast; is doing better then it did.

I've got some good deals at Bestbuy; you can order online and have your order delivered to your car in the parking lot.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums