Whats the difference?

Neostarwcc

We are saved purely by the work and grace of God.
Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
I know nothing about cell phones and tablets I'm more of a computer nerd and know a lot about fixing and building desktops and laptops. My wife is considering getting a Google Pixel Pro 8 because it's on sale from Spectrum until the end of March for $11.11 a month . She's also considering the Samsung Galaxy s24 which is double thst price ($22.22 a month) but neither of us know the difference between the two phones.

I've tried googling the difference between these phones but aside from differences in prices the internet doesn't really offer much that I understand. I understand refresh rates because those exist in desktop monitors and TVs but i don't understand much of anything else. I just know my wife needs a good phone for work and the phone she has now is mega old/slow and she just recently completely busted her old phone so she needs a new one.

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Samsung has their own additions to Android, and as a result, it can reportedly take longer for Android updates to funnel down to the Samsung phones. Google allegedly wants to put out "pure" Android phones. That means more software on Samsung phones to both get hacked, and "phone home" (whether hacked or not).

Samsung does offer cheaper phones too (the A line) but the S24 family has 7 years worth of security updates from the release of the phone model. For many of the A models, it's only 3 or 4 years from the release of the phone model. So you will be paying less for a phone you know that you will have to replace sooner. Although, I can't say for sure how long the batteries will last in those 7-year phones.

More details on Samsung phone updates: Here's every Samsung device eligible for four (or more) major Android updates
More details on Google Pixel phone updates: Learn when you'll get software updates on Google Pixel phones - Pixel Phone Help

Many of the Samsung phones do have reportedly longer battery life than the Pixels, so there is that consideration. However, it is possible to set bedtime hours, and if you charge during those hours, it slows down the charging until the end with the adaptive charging feature. If you unplug the phone as soon as those bedtime hours end, you will (hopefully) go easier on the battery. That may mean setting an alarm - which is a logical assumption of what would happen anyway when setting bedtime hours.

Upvote 0

bèlla

❤️
Site Supporter
Jan 16, 2019
USA
✟953,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
In Relationship
You'll probably have a longer support period with the Pixel since Android is their platform. All other providers make custom iterations they support for a certain period. I've had Samsung phones and purchased my first tablet from them. Their premium offering. They stopped providing updates in less than two years and introduced the next model. I switched to Apple and never looked back.

While the devices can be more costly their support period is the longest in the industry. I've successfully traded older models more than once without a problem. Barring an accident she's likely to have it for several years. Bear that in mind when selecting a phone. A device that's still supported 5 years out is more efficient than one that requires earlier replacement.

~bella

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
You'll probably have a longer support period with the Pixel since Android is their platform. All other providers make custom iterations they support for a certain period. I've had Samsung phones and purchased my first tablet from them. Their premium offering. They stopped providing updates in less than two years and introduced the next model. I switched to Apple and never looked back.

While the devices can be more costly their support period is the longest in the industry. I've successfully traded older models more than once without a problem. Barring an accident she's likely to have it for several years. Bear that in mind when selecting a phone. A device that's still supported 5 years out is more efficient than one that requires earlier replacement.

~bella

Well at least Spectrum has the Google Pixel 8 pro for $400 instead of $1,000 until the end of March. Otherwise I would be going with the Samsung Galaxy to save money and wouldn't care about Googles features because im NOT paying $1,000 for a cell phone no matter what features it has. My wife and I are mostly poor and can't afford a 1k phone. I think we will go with the pixel because it is $400 less than the galaxy currently so even if the galaxy had fantastic features I'm sure saving the money would make the pixel far more worth it in the end.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll go ahead and order that.

Reactions: bèlla
Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well at least Spectrum has the Google Pixel 8 pro for $400 instead of $1,000 until the end of March. Otherwise I would be going with the Samsung Galaxy to save money and wouldn't care about Googles features because im NOT paying $1,000 for a cell phone no matter what features it has. My wife and I are mostly poor and can't afford a 1k phone. I think we will go with the pixel because it is $400 less than the galaxy currently so even if the galaxy had fantastic features I'm sure saving the money would make the pixel far more worth it in the end.

Thanks for your replies guys. I'll go ahead and order that.
If it was only $400 grand total, I would jump at it but these companies are looking to make their money back. Look at the plan requirements that come with the deal. Also factor in that you'll need a charger, a case, and a screen protector (and applying that screen protector can be tedious).

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
If it was only $400 grand total, I would jump at it but these companies are looking to make their money back. Look at the plan requirements that come with the deal. Also factor in that you'll need a charger, a case, and a screen protector (and applying that screen protector can be tedious).

Yeah my wife and I checked our local Walmart and they only had cases for IPhone and Samsung phones so we're going to have to try to find a good one on Amazon. I've ordered tablets before without a case so I know the hard way that a case is absolutely mandatory. I think Spectrum is including a charger but I'm not sure its coming Tuesday. They didn't charge us strangely for shipping because I know a lot of companies charge for shipping. So what we saved on shipping we can stick into the case and screen protector.

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Yeah my wife and I checked our local Walmart and they only had cases for IPhone and Samsung phones so we're going to have to try to find a good one on Amazon. I've ordered tablets before without a case so I know the hard way that a case is absolutely mandatory. I think Spectrum is including a charger but I'm not sure its coming Tuesday. They didn't charge us strangely for shipping because I know a lot of companies charge for shipping. So what we saved on shipping we can stick into the case and screen protector.
Otterbox is a good brand, they make high quality cases. Make sure it is sized to the exact model of phone you end up purchasing (same w/ the screen protector).

You really do need a very steady hand for applying that screen protector, keep that in mind. If it's just a little off, it will partially cover the front camera lens.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Otterbox is a good brand, they make high quality cases. Make sure it is sized to the exact model of phone you end up purchasing (same w/ the screen protector).

You really do need a very steady hand for applying that screen protector, keep that in mind. If it's just a little off, it will partially cover the front camera lens.

I've worked on computers since I was a child I should be ok. I remember that working on 486's required a steady hand as well. I'm finding a lot of cases made in China is that as bad of a thing as it typically is for computer parts made from there? I've ordered a lot of cheap computer parts from China over the years like mouses, bluray drives, monitors and the like and they were very, very, cheaply made and generly bbroke and fell apart very easily.

My wife looked up Otterbix cases and they were just far too expensive. Most of them were $60 and that's almost a 4th of the cost of a phone. We're looking to pay $25-$30 for something decent quality preferably not made in China because ive had bad experience with their products in the past.

*edit* actually this looks pretty decent Robot or human?

Upvote 0

Sketcher

Born Imperishable
Feb 23, 2004
✟380,259.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I've worked on computers since I was a child I should be ok. I remember that working on 486's required a steady hand as well. I'm finding a lot of cases made in China is that as bad of a thing as it typically is for computer parts made from there? I've ordered a lot of cheap computer parts from China over the years like mouses, bluray drives, monitors and the like and they were very, very, cheaply made and generly bbroke and fell apart very easily.

My wife looked up Otterbix cases and they were just far too expensive. Most of them were $60 and that's almost a 4th of the cost of a phone. We're looking to pay $25-$30 for something decent quality preferably not made in China because ive had bad experience with their products in the past.

*edit* actually this looks pretty decent Robot or human?
That looks like an Otterbox knockoff. I don't know how good it is, as I have no experience with any of Dexnor's products. A quick search shows that it's run out of Hong Kong, and the Chinese government has taken over that place in recent years. But I have far fewer problems with buying a Chinese phone case than a Chinese phone. For online reviews of the product, there are bots on Amazon and such to artificially rate products, it would not surprise me if they were also on Walmart too.

Upvote 0

Neostarwcc

Site Supporter
Dec 13, 2015
US
✟921,720.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
We got the phone today. That was really quick, I watched a video to figure out where the sim card goes and our case should be coming on thursday. My wife just has to be really careful with the phone because it's unprotected and she needs it for work. I'm paying monthly on this phone so I'd hate to pay for it for 6 months and have it cracked.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums