Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not equip yourself and witness to them. I believe you have the perfect opportunity but you must be prepared to address their talking points.
Blessings
Sorry about that, I accidentally posted when I wasn't finished with my post.
We live where there are quite a few Mormons and about thirty years ago we had two young Mormon missionaries come to our home. Now I wouldn't have attempted to talk with them if I didn't already have some understanding of what they believed and didn't say a quick prayer for the Holy Spirits' guidance and remember that Jesus said that God would give His disciples the words to say when witnessing.
To make a long story short we ended up meeting once or twice a week to study scripture. They ate meals with us and even played board games with us. One of them would even show up alone just to spend time with our family. We invited them to go to church with us, the elders wouldn't let them do that but they were allowed to come to a fellowship potluck dinner afterward.
This went on for almost three-months then one evening they told us that the elders would no longer allow them to come to our home that they had been sharing what we told them with others in their church. There are more details about what happened after this but I'll just say that we knew that the Holy Spirit was working on them and we continued to pray for them for a long time believing that they would be lead to know the Truth. Thirty years ago and never has another Mormon missionary been sent to our home.

Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,828.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sorry about that, I accidentally posted when I wasn't finished with my post.
We live where there are quite a few Mormons and about thirty years ago we had two young Mormon missionaries come to our home. Now I wouldn't have attempted to talk with them if I didn't already have some understanding of what they believed and didn't say a quick prayer for the Holy Spirits' guidance and remember that Jesus said that God would give His disciples the words to say when witnessing.
To make a long story short we ended up meeting once or twice a week to study scripture. They ate meals with us and even played board games with us. One of them would even show up alone just to spend time with our family. We invited them to go to church with us, the elders wouldn't let them do that but they were allowed to come to a fellowship potluck dinner afterward.
This went on for almost three-months then one evening they told us that the elders would no longer allow them to come to our home that they had been sharing what we told them with others in their church. There are more details about what happened after this but I'll just say that we knew that the Holy Spirit was working on them and we continued to pray for them for a long time believing that they would be lead to know the Truth. Thirty years ago and never has another Mormon missionary been sent to our home.
This is exactly how a Christian spreads the Gospel.
Blessings!

• Friendly
Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

Lost4words

Jesus I Trust In You
Site Supporter
May 19, 2018
Neath, Wales, UK
✟1,013,150.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You could hire my mate to answer the door for you.

3403796968.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟962,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I have always had an intellectual interest in comparative religions. So as a young man while on vacation to the Adirondacks, I dropped by the visitor center in Palmyra, NY, where Joseph Smith said he had his revelation. Being young and still somewhat naive about the ways of the world, I signed the guest register. Mistake.

Six months later I had two Mormon missionaries standing on my porch excited to talk to me because they knew I had stopped by Palmyra. I politely let them know I had my own faith practice which I had no desire to change, and my visit to Palmyra had been intellectual only. I politely refused to talk more with them and sent them on their way. They did not come back or make a nuisance of themselves.

Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟291,104.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
These guys are very aggressive. It was my fault for letting them in because I felt sorry for them. But I don't believe what they believe. In fact, I think they add to the Bible. Now I can't get rid of them. Help!!!!
Wish I had some Mormons missionaries knocking. I would love to ask them lots of uncomfortable questions about their religion.

"So you believe God was man right? He has a body and all that right?"
"So you believe God was once just a mortal man like us, does that mean he was a sinner like you and I?"
"So you believe God was devoiding the world of the essential sacraments for the most blessed afterlife for at least 1700 years. Why did God do that?"

• Agree
Reactions: anna ~ grace
Upvote 0

thecolorsblend

If God is your Father, who is your Mother?
Site Supporter
Jul 1, 2013
Gotham City, New Jersey
✟308,231.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
These guys are very aggressive. It was my fault for letting them in because I felt sorry for them. But I don't believe what they believe. In fact, I think they add to the Bible. Now I can't get rid of them. Help!!!!
"Thanks but no thanks".

You only need to say those four words.

Upvote 0

Al Touthentop

Nov 24, 2019
VENETA
Visit site
✟34,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
Politics
US-Libertarian

This is a great opportunity for you to teach the gospel. Look at it as an opportunity to strengthen your own faith.

"which is not even a gospel. Evidently some people are troubling you and trying to distort the gospel of Christ. 8But even if we or an angel from heaven should preach a gospel contrary to the one we preached to you, let him be under a divine curse! 9As we have said before, so now I say again: If anyone is preaching to you a gospel contrary to the one you received, let him be under a curse!"

If anyone comes to you and says that an angel (Moroni) came and preached Joseph Smith a different gospel than the one that the apostles delivered, the angel was in error.

Upvote 0

Isilwen

Oct 13, 2019
Florida
✟161,599.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Democrat
Had an issue with a local Baptist church like that. Talked to them once, than they came back. Told them I had a church and it didn't matter. Told I was sinning by not going to theirs and by reading a Bible other than the KJV.

Finally told them if they come back again I was going to call the police for harassment. Never saw them again.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Thank you very much. I have hard time with this because I don't want to hurt their feelings. But I know that you are right.

IF you hurt their feelings, that may be the very thing that starts DOUBT in their minds about their worthless religious system, and lead to their genuine Born Again experience.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟833,852.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
I heard the story of a South African farmer and his family who were plagued by Mormon missionaries coming to their farm and when they got to the point where they had enough, one day, when they saw the missionaries' car coming down the road, they raised a yellow flag signifying that the farm was quarantined because of yellow fever. They got great pleasure in seeing the car, when it got closer, spin around and take off at high speed in a cloud of dust! They never saw those missionaries again!

We recently had an outbreak of measles in Auckland, and you probably heard of the epidemic in Samoan causing the deaths of over 70 people. You could leave a notice at your gate or front door saying that members of your family have been exposed to measles, and it is extremely infectious, and can be fatal to anyone who has never been exposed to them.

Upvote 0

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,054,063.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hi,

I have no experience with Mormons, I'm afraid, but I had the same sort of experience with JWs.
I spent much time arguing with them, because it annoys me that a) someone has mis-taught them the Bible and b) they go around promoting this false version to others. Eventually I worked out that they were only coming back because they believed that my arguments showed that I was interested; maybe struggling with things and on the point of being converted to their religion. When I said, point blank, that I am a Christian, read the Bible, go to church and have no intention of changing; they left me alone.
They did once tell me that they are Christians too, and if I'd been brave enough to say "great, well as we're both Christians, I'll go to my church and you go to yours"; I would have. If they WERE Christians, they would just be glad to have found others who believe in the Lord Jesus and not try to convert them.

As you want to get rid of them, I'd say; be polite but firm, don't let them in and say you are happy with your beliefs. If you wanted to debate with/witness to them you could suggest meeting somewhere public and neutral - like a cafe - where you have the option of walking away if they get too much.
I had a friend who showed an interest in being baptised by Mormons - once they sensed an interest, they wouldn't let go.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

friend of

A private in Gods army
Site Supporter
Dec 28, 2016
provincial
✟763,213.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Get to the root of your disagreement right away. Jesus and lucifer are not brothers. Period. Whatever linchpin angles they have to their theology, get right to debating those points and defending the Christian position with scripture. Also, be polite and pray for them as well.

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Get to the root of your disagreement right away. Jesus and lucifer are not brothers. Period. Whatever linchpin angles they have to their theology, get right to debating those points and defending the Christian position with scripture. Also, be polite and pray for them as well.
But if you choose to do so, don't do it in your home.

Upvote 0

Sophrosyne

Let Your Light Shine.. Matt 5:16
Jun 21, 2007
In God's Amazing Grace
✟903,022.00
Faith
Christian
Last time I had mormons drop by there were 3 teenage boys and they had badges on them that said "Elder" with their name and I asked them where their wives were and they said they didn't have any and I asked why do you reject Paul's writings and they couldn't answer me. I never saw them again.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟80,125.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
IF you hurt their feelings, that may be the very thing that starts DOUBT in their minds about their worthless religious system, and lead to their genuine Born Again experience.

That is not true.

• Useful
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0