Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
These guys are very aggressive. It was my fault for letting them in because I felt sorry for them. But I don't believe what they believe. In fact, I think they add to the Bible. Now I can't get rid of them. Help!!!!

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
At some point, you are going to have to say, "No, you cannot come in."

"Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds." 2 John 1:9-11 NKJV

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
At some point, you are going to have to say, "No, you cannot come in."

"Whoever transgresses and does not abide in the doctrine of Christ does not have God. He who abides in the doctrine of Christ has both the Father and the Son. If anyone comes to you and does not bring this doctrine, do not receive him into your house nor greet him; for he who greets him shares in his evil deeds." 2 John 1:9-11 NKJV

Oops

My bad. I definitely don't want to share in their evil deeds. I think I have some repenting to do. Thank you very much.

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

Acts 4:12
May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
These guys are very aggressive. It was my fault for letting them in because I felt sorry for them. But I don't believe what they believe. In fact, I think they add to the Bible. Now I can't get rid of them. Help!!!!

Hi Introverted1293,

You need to politely say to them something along the lines of: "Your beliefs are false and I cannot speak with you anymore. I'll pray for you, but please don't come here again."

They will most likely question your statement and try to draw you into a conversation about it, but stand your ground and don't give in. Stick to your guns, shut your door, and pray for them when they're gone.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟335,910.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I assume you mean "they keep coming back", rather than "they're in my living room right now and they won't leave".

It can be hard for introverts to be assertive sometimes, but that's what's needed here. Be polite, but assertive, something like this when they come back: "Thank you for sharing your beliefs with me last week; it's good to learn about other people's religions. I'm very happy with my own religion, and I won't be converting to your church. I think I've satisfied my curiosity about the Latter-Day Saints and have learned all I need to for now, so there's no need for you to come back." Polite, respectful, but clear that it's time to end the visits now.

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once while sitting in the waiting room at jury duty, I was studying my bible and preparing a bible study I was teaching that following week. The woman next to me struck up a conversation about it and invited me to go to the Jehovah's Witness website to help me "understand the Scriptures" better. Anyway, long story short, a few minutes into the "conversation" I told her, point-blank, that they didn't believe the Jesus of the Bible and that their Jesus was a different Jesus. She looked at me like I was nuts, but that pretty much ended the conversation and I was able to get back to studying God's Word. LOL!

Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Once while sitting in the waiting room at jury duty, I was studying my bible and preparing a bible study I was teaching that following week. The woman next to me struck up a conversation about it and invited me to go to the Jehovah's Witness website to help me "understand the Scriptures" better. Anyway, long story short, a few minutes into the "conversation" I told her, point-blank, that they didn't believe the Jesus of the Bible and that their Jesus was a different Jesus. She looked at me like I was nuts, but that pretty much ended the conversation and I was able to get back to studying God's Word. LOL!

Thank you very much for sharing. That is actually quite useful. So, I'll try being direct and to the point.

Reactions: Kris Jordan
Upvote 0

Introverted1293

Site Supporter
Jul 22, 2017
Washington
✟686,777.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I assume you mean "they keep coming back", rather than "they're in my living room right now and they won't leave".

It can be hard for introverts to be assertive sometimes, but that's what's needed here. Be polite, but assertive, something like this when they come back: "Thank you for sharing your beliefs with me last week; it's good to learn about other people's religions. I'm very happy with my own religion, and I won't be converting to your church. I think I've satisfied my curiosity about the Latter-Day Saints and have learned all I need to for now, so there's no need for you to come back." Polite, respectful, but clear that it's time to end the visits now.

Thank you very much. I have hard time with this because I don't want to hurt their feelings. But I know that you are right.

Upvote 0

rnmomof7

Legend
Feb 9, 2002
Western NY
✟78,744.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Hi Introverted1293,

You need to politely say to them something along the lines of: "Your beliefs are false and I cannot speak with you anymore. I'll pray for you, but please don't come here again."

They will most likely question your statement and try to draw you into a conversation about it, but stand your ground and don't give in. Stick to your guns, shut your door, and pray for them when they're gone.

I live in an area where very few people even own a bible let alone have studied it. They are ripe for deception.. The Mormons and JWs do a lot of door to door proselytization. I printed up a few pages of responses to their spiel ...and when one came a couple years ago.. I sat on my steps with her and listened politely for a few minutes.. I then gave her the papers and suggested she read them ...they have never come back

Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
PloverWing is right, IMO. I find that arguing with them, pointing out the errors in their theology, and that sort of approach is not nearly as effective as saying that you have your own church and are happy with it.

Be polite, but if they persist at all, cut it off. They can conclude that you are deceived or uninformed, but none of that matters so long as they give up!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟906,105.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why not equip yourself and witness to them. I believe you have the perfect opportunity but you must be prepared to address their talking points.
Blessings

Upvote 0

Kris Jordan

May 1, 2019
Southern California
Visit site
✟46,741.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I live in an area where very few people even own a bible let alone have studied it. They are ripe for deception.. The Mormons and JWs do a lot of door to door proselytization. I printed up a few pages of responses to their spiel ...and when one came a couple years ago.. I sat on my steps with her and listened politely for a few minutes.. I then gave her the papers and suggested she read them ...they have never come back

Hi rnmomof7,

I'd love to see what you created for them to read. Can you post it?

• Agree
Reactions: Sabertooth
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The question, as I understand it, is how to get rid of them. Not how to convert them.

If it is the latter, then fine--debate and use source material. But if it is to stop them from pestering, this approach is not likely of success.

For one thing, they have been well-instructed in how to reply to almost any point that an orthodox Christian is apt to throw at them. They are not going to say "Hmm. I never knew you folks thought THAT!" In addition, they are not about to admit to losing an argument. If there is an impasse, they will say, "I once was in doubt too, but I took it to the Lord in prayer. If you do that also, He will show you...."

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why not equip yourself and witness to them. I believe you have the perfect opportunity but you must be prepared to address their talking points.
The Bible says to not let them into our homes, probably because that encounter is on their terms. Your approach would work better outside of your home, on God's terms. (I'm guessing that is what @rnmomof7 had in mind.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟245,339.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Ask them about JWs and about the similarities between them. (The two groups don't get along) This will get rid of them.

• Haha
Reactions: JustRachel
Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They may have some pat answers to everything (not good or true, but y'know...available), and they may not admit to you that they're stumped or they're doubting, but they're only there in the first place because they think they can plant a seed that will cause you to doubt your own religion, or at least start looking at Mormonism differently.

Well if they can (and they can, so make sure you know your faith better than they do before you let them in again), then you can do the same to them. Mormonism doesn't tell its communicants actual history (either of Christianity or of Mormonism), but other sources aren't operating with the same 'faith promoting' strictures in place.

50 problems with Mormonism (short form):

50 more problems with Mormonism (long form):

Top 10 Mormon Problems Explained (very long form investigation):

I wouldn't recommend showing these actual videos to the Mormons (this is a mistake I've made over in the "Debate Other Religions" subforum of CF, thinking that Mormons are intellectually honest enough to actually take others' arguments as seriously as they wish for their own arguments to be taken, and...well, it's not that they're dishonest, exactly, but they are trained very thoroughly from a very young age to dismiss anything that goes against what the Mormon religion tells them as 'anti-Mormon lies', and will do so basically reflexively, no matter what its actual pedigree), but familiarizing yourself with the issues they bring up (if you are not familiar with them already) well enough to where you can comfortably and confidently, but not arrogantly, bring them up extemporaneously would be a very good thing. Unfortunately YouTube did not exist when the Mormons used to visit my own family when I was a teenager (my father's then-wife became interested in the religion through her friendship with the contractor who was hired to work on the family home and instead spent a lot of time preaching Mormonism to her, so the missionaries came quite persistently after that), so I was not aware of these kinds of issues, but if I had been I would have definitely brought them up.

The way I see it, if you're willing to go into strangers' homes in an effort to spread your religion, you should be willing to answer difficult questions about it, especially by people who can present themselves as honest investigators. If they can't handle that, then they'll basically self-select themselves out of preaching to you, and the problem will fix itself.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0

paul1149

that your faith might rest in the power of God
Site Supporter
Mar 22, 2011
NY
✟674,964.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The question, as I understand it, is how to get rid of them. Not how to convert them.
Sometimes the two are linked. I had two JWs come to my house once. It had been a while, since most of them had learned I was a "hopeless" case, but this guy was pretty high up - gave speeches at their conventions, etc, and probably felt confident. I stood in the doorway and prevented them from coming in, but we did get into a discussion about Biblical things. For everything he mentioned, I had answers and returned questions for him. He was losing ground and grew increasingly frustrated. Finally he broke it off, saying that we should do it again some time, but sitting down and consulting the Bible. I said we had consulted the Bible, just not physically - since both of us, but me more than he, had the verses down to memory. He turned and abruptly walked off, barely disguising his frustration and anger. But the guy with him, who was a neophyte just learning the ropes, stepped forward and with a big smile shook my hand. I'm sure it was eye-opening to him that one can be Biblically informed and not agree with JW doctrine. I never saw another JW at that house.

Upvote 0