More than 150 Houston hospital workers fired or quit after refusing COVID-19 vaccine

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm surprised we're not hearing from people on the Left complaining that all these health care workers who have been hailed as heroes not too long ago are now being fired from their jobs by a hospital system that obviously sees these workers as disposable.

it's all part of working in health care

SIL is a nurse & she got her shot
if those nurses don't care about their patients, they deserve to be fired

people who are sick enough to be hospitalized don't need to risk getting covid while being a patient!

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
Wisconsin, United States of America
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
it's all part of working in health care

SIL is a nurse & she got her shot
if those nurses don't care about their patients, they deserve to be fired

people who are sick enough to be hospitalized don't need to risk getting covid while being a patient!

What ever happened to testing? The nurses could be tested to see if they have Covid or not, and then sent home if they do. It worked before. All those doctors and nurses wearing the fully enclosed protective gear before there was a vaccine. What happened to that? Those nurses worked very long shifts and sacrificed being with their families because they didn't want to risk bringing the virus home, so they lived in RVs and motels. Now they're being fired from their job and labeled as if they "don't care about their patients".
How quickly this country turns against the people they held up as heroes less than a year ago!
2047-9018.ns.35.6.largecover.jpg

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
At least 153 employees of a Houston hospital — including nurses and other medical staff — were fired or resigned Tuesday after refusing to get vaccinated against COVID-19, one of the first mass terminations since vaccinations started in the U.S. this year, reinvigorating a national anti-vaccine movement.

Good.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
If these vaccines can turn some into asymptomatic spreaders, how does that work with your plaint?
Misleading. In order for your concern to have any merit, the negative impact of having a vaccinated worked asymptomatically infecting patients would have to not be offset by a lowered risk that the health care worker would get infected in the first place.

I doubt very much that this tradeoff works in favor of your position - I will wager that the benefits of this health-care worker being vaccinated clearly outweigh the risks posed by such a vaccinated health-care worker being asymptomatically infective.

You are implicitly asking us to believe something rather implausible - that the experts have not considered the possibility you raise.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I'm surprised we're not hearing from people on the Left complaining that all these health care workers who have been hailed as heroes not too long ago are now being fired from their jobs by a hospital system that obviously sees these workers as disposable.
Why would we complain? It is almost as though you think that past exemplary behavior "cancels out" present reckless behavior.

Next time I get pulled over intoxicated behind the wheel, I will be sure to point out to the officer that while I am blind drunk now, I was an eagle scout and leader of the church council.

Would that fly?

Upvote 0

GreekOrthodox

Psalti Chrysostom
Oct 25, 2010
Yorktown VA
✟176,342.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It just seems illogical to me that someone who works that closely to the effects of COVID (death, respirators, hospital capacity issues, overworked nurses, doctors, and support staff, etc.) would refuse a vaccine that would prevent them from potentially being a patient in their own hospital.

At the hospital I work, there was a lot of initial hesitancy, mainly around the unknown side effects. My second shot left me exhausted for two days. A friend was out of work with a low fever for 4 days. My wife was sick for one morning and fine by the afternoon. I don't know if anyone is still refusing but I'm sure there are a few.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What ever happened to testing? The nurses could be tested to see if they have Covid or not, and then sent home if they do.
Turn-around time for highly sensitive testing is too slow -- they would be transmitting the virus before they knew it. Rapid testing has too high a false negative rate.
All those doctors and nurses wearing the fully enclosed protective gear before there was a vaccine. What happened to that? Those nurses worked very long shifts and sacrificed being with their families because they didn't want to risk bringing the virus home, so they lived in RVs and motels.
Some of them got sick despite the PPE. And it's not clear what you're suggesting -- that they should go on living in motels and RVs instead of getting vaccinated?
It worked before.
Vaccination also worked before, and very well. The hospitals I'm familiar with already require staff to have received multiple vaccinations. Why is this suddenly an issue?

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

seeking.IAM

Episcopalian
Site Supporter
Feb 29, 2004
Indiana
✟963,547.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
My mother was in a long-term care facility that locked down to family and other non-employees during the height of the COVID outbreak. Patient after patient died of Covid. How could patients die when they were too infirm to go out and outsiders weren't coming in? Simple answer: employees - employees who took risks intead of precautions away from work. I have no sympathy for heatlh care employees refusing vaccination while working with vulnerable populations. Above all else, do no harm.

Upvote 0

BigDaddy4

It's a new season...
Sep 4, 2008
Washington
✟220,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
At the hospital I work, there was a lot of initial hesitancy, mainly around the unknown side effects. My second shot left me exhausted for two days. A friend was out of work with a low fever for 4 days. My wife was sick for one morning and fine by the afternoon. I don't know if anyone is still refusing but I'm sure there are a few.
Yes, I have heard of similar reactions from getting the vaccine. I was a little tired for a day or two, but no big deal. I have also heard of worse reactions from people who got COVID. I wonder if any of the over 600,000 people who have died from COVID wouldn't have minded feeling a little exhausted or a low grade fever for a couple of days instead?

Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Some of them got sick despite the PPE. And it's not clear what you're suggesting -- that they should go on living in motels and RVs instead of getting vaccinated?

If that's their choice.

Vaccination also worked before, and very well. The hospitals I'm familiar with already require staff to have received multiple vaccinations. Why is this suddenly an issue?

Because these current "vaccines" aren't even approved by the FDA yet, except for emergency use. Also, plenty of reports of injuries and deaths have been occurring right after the shots, even though people like to dismiss them.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,817.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Because these current "vaccines" aren't even approved by the FDA yet, except for emergency use.
So you won't have any objections after they receive full approval? (Which they surely will, given their excellent safety and efficacy record.)
Also, plenty of reports of injuries and deaths have been occurring right after the shots, even though people like to dismiss them.
There are plenty of reports about injuries and deaths occurring right after lots of other vaccines, too. They mean precisely nothing unless there are more of them than one would expect from that number of people without being vaccinated. And such effects have indeed been found with covid vaccines: blood clotting with the AZ and J&J vaccines and (probably) myocarditis with the mRNA vaccines. Both are very rare. Hundreds of millions of people have been vaccinated, and there are a lot of people looking very hard for bad effects as a result -- people in countries all over the world, people with no vested interest in the success of the vaccines.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Also, plenty of reports of injuries and deaths have been occurring right after the shots, even though people like to dismiss them.
This is deeply misleading. How can you not possibly know that correlation does not equal causation?

I guarantee you will not be able to draw a credible causal connection between the vaccine and anything other than a miniscule number of deaths.

• Agree
Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
They mean precisely nothing unless there are more of them than one would expect from that number of people without being vaccinated.
This is absolutely correct.

And the anti-vaxxers cannot possibly not know this.

Obvious conclusion: they are engaging in deliberate propagation of falsehoods.

Upvote 0

expos4ever

Oct 22, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
✟251,291.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aldebaran

NCC-1701-A
Christian Forums Staff
Purple Team - Moderator
Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2009
✟654,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
This is deeply misleading. How can you not possibly know that correlation does not equal causation?

I guarantee you will not be able to draw a credible causal connection between the vaccine and anything other than a miniscule number of deaths.

Especially when Google and other social media don't want the evidence out there. That leaves it to Right wing news channels to carry the information so the Leftists can say, "Oh, a Right wing news source! I ain't gonna listen to what they say!"

Upvote 0