Pennsylvania, USA
✟758,739.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I think a big difference lies in our understanding of salvation within the church and the Christian life it calls an individual believer to by prayer, fasting, alms giving, confession, and the Eucharist and living this out defines our faith and fulfilling this by continual repentance (confession) and thanksgiving (the Eucharist) in the challenge of abiding in love, faith, & hope (1st corinthians 13:13) in which justification defines our salvation (but this is unto death, not immediately). Outside of the church is confusion to us although there is much hope for other Christians & non Christians who do good also which is part of the Lord's great mystery (see JOhn 5:29, Romans 2:11-16 etc.). Things like this make prayer so special & always call us to account to not justify ourselves or prejudge others.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorothea
Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
The Calvinist view of God is completely opposite of the Orthodox view of God and is completely unbiblical.

Well the way I see EO, they are in the same camp as the Roman Catholic church except for a few differences, but both unbiblical as well.

Upvote 0

Coralie

but behold, there cometh one after me
Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well the way I see EO, they are in the same camp as the Roman Catholic church except for a few differences, but both unbiblical as well.

lol!

Stick around for a bit hon, you'll get to know us better and it might be edifying for you too. God bless.

Upvote 0

Coralie

but behold, there cometh one after me
Sep 29, 2009
✟17,357.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
^Sure, I'll stick around, if ya'll can tolerate a heretic, lol.

It's highly unlikely that you'd be a heretic in our eyes (just to be clear on that ;))!! You really have to jump through a whooole lotta hoops to get that label applied to yourself.

I came here as a fire-breathing Protestant some years ago and I drank the Kool-Aid, as you can see. lol. There's always something to learn and the folks here are awesome, as long as you are respectful [even when you disagree with what's being said].

Welcome hon. Hope you enjoy your visits with us. There's baklava passed around occasionally.

Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

:wave:Hey GQ, haven't seen you around for a while.

I used to think the same~~consider that this "unbiblical" group is the Church that put that same Bible together and they ain't changed since..preaching and defending the gospel for 2000 years baby :cool:

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago.:clap:

Upvote 0

GQ Chris

ooey gooey is for brownies, not Bible teachers
Jan 17, 2005
Golden State
✟45,842.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
:wave:Hey GQ, haven't seen you around for a while.

I used to think the same~~consider that this "unbiblical" group is the Church that put that same Bible together and they ain't changed since..preaching and defending the gospel for 2000 years baby :cool:

The Orthodox Church is evangelical, but not Protestant. It is orthodox, but not Jewish. It is catholic, but not Roman. It isn't non-denominational - it is pre-denominational. It has believed, taught, preserved, defended and died for the Faith of the Apostles since the Day of Pentecost 2000 years ago.:clap:

Oh noes, they got you! lol jk

Reactions: MrJim
Upvote 0

MrJim

Legend 3/17/05
Mar 17, 2005
FEMA Region III
✟42,622.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Oh noes, they got you! lol jk

22.gif

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,470,736.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Well, if you were born in Armenia you might be considered Armenian.
biggrin.gif
haha, my bad. good call and I fixed it.

What is so awful about Calvinism?

Sinners in the hands of an angry God sums it up rather well, as does the Westboro Baptist Church

Last edited:
Upvote 0

MKJ

Contributor
Jul 6, 2009
East
✟23,894.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It's highly unlikely that you'd be a heretic in our eyes (just to be clear on that ;))!! You really have to jump through a whooole lotta hoops to get that label applied to yourself.

I came here as a fire-breathing Protestant some years ago and I drank the Kool-Aid, as you can see. lol. There's always something to learn and the folks here are awesome, as long as you are respectful [even when you disagree with what's being said].

Welcome hon. Hope you enjoy your visits with us. There's baklava passed around occasionally.

Goodness, I just can't imagine you as a fire-breathing Protestant!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Antony in Tx

a sinner
Dec 25, 2009
Texas
✟25,560.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Just asking what the Orthodox teaching is as I get a lot of sense out of Orthodox answers...love the Ancient Faith site.

Crissy,

I found this link to a blog by Fr. Stephen. In this really long post, it outlines some of the reactions of the OC to Calvinism. I think the comments there are almost as instructive as the body of the blog post.

Forgive me if I offended.

:liturgy:

Reactions: Gwendolyn
Upvote 0

Gwendolyn

back in black
Jan 28, 2005
Canada
✟20,680.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've been trying to understand the Orthodox perspective for a couple years. I just can't get my head around it. I stick around, hoping to "get it" eventually... but it is very difficult.

Anyway, someone made a comment about the westboro baptists. They take Calvinism to its logical conclusion.

Upvote 0