Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Dumb question.

Next.
Ok, first and foremost.. and very seriously... this is not a flat earth related topic... Not for me. So please leave the whole FE out of this or start your own thread.

This is about a phenomenon that, quite honestly, I have questioned since I was very young. However, I put it aside as life went on.

Now, I have heard others speak of it and it has raised some very simple yet important questions..

How on earth does the moon look the way it does if it is reflecting the sun?

Let's look at the phases, shall we?

The-Moon-Phases-Facts.jpg

First, look at the "Waxing Crescent". Pictured above is not the last one before a new moon. There are several more before the moon is not illuminated.

Still, when I go to work, it is dark... yet there is the sliver of a moon in the sky.

Ask yourself, if the moon must always be fully illuminated, by the sun, there must always be a full moon to some area of space. Earth just cannot see it... So, therefore, when the moon is but a sliver, the rest of the moon, facing away from me, must still be fully illuminated.

So, where would the sun have to be to fully illuminate the surface of the moon "except" the tiny sliver I can see.

The sun would have to be opposite me. It should be in the sky, on the opposite side of me than the dark side that I see... Yet, the sun is not even up yet.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

the Sun of Righteousness will rise with healing
Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Them Be Lights!
[Gen 1:14-19 NIV]

And
God said,
"Let there be

lights
in the vault of the sky

to separate the day from the night,
and let

them
serve as signs to mark
sacred times,
and days
and years
15 and let

them
be

lights
in the vault of the sky

to give light on the earth."
And it was so.
16 God made
two great lights--
the greater light
to govern the day and
the lesser light
to govern the night.
He also made
the stars.
17 God set
them
in the vault of the sky
to give light on the earth,
to govern the day and the night,
and to separate light from darkness.
And
God saw that
it was good.
19 And there was evening,
and there was morning--
the fourth day.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Them Be Lights!

And
God said,
"Let there be

lights
in the vault of the sky

and let

them
serve as signs to mark
sacred times,
and days
and years
15 and let

them
be

lights
in the vault of the sky

And it was so.
16 God made
two great lights--
the greater light
to govern the day and
the lesser light
to govern the night.
He also made
the stars.
17 God set
them
in the vault of the sky
And
God saw that
it was good.
and there was morning--
the fourth day.

That only tells you that the writer of that verse did not understand that the Moon merely reflects Sunlight.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Them Be Lights!

And
God said,
"Let there be

lights
in the vault of the sky

and let

them
serve as signs to mark
sacred times,
and days
and years
15 and let

them
be

lights
in the vault of the sky

And it was so.
16 God made
two great lights--
the greater light
to govern the day and
the lesser light
to govern the night.
He also made
the stars.
17 God set
them
in the vault of the sky
And
God saw that
it was good.
and there was morning--
the fourth day.

Reflected sunlight is indeed a lesser light than direct sunlight.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
A totally unbiblical movie, " Moon Fall", has hit Prime Video.. Interesting, L.A. Marzulli has been talking about UFO's for years.. was called a "tin foil hatter" for that same amount of time..
Now, more and more "disclosure" is coming out in regards to unexplainable events and the "answer" of them being life from other planets... is more and more popular in the media.
Even in movies..

I believe that Hollywood uses their craft to numb our minds with moral callouses.. and... prepare us for events that they have been hiding.. Like "crafts not of this world" and... could it be... the "truth" about the moon...

Not that it is as they show in "Moon Fall" but... preparing us for revelations of what those with very high security clearance already know.

Anyway, the movie is total nonsense... other than preparing us for alternate truths... IMO.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
A totally unbiblical movie, " Moon Fall", has hit Prime Video.. Interesting, L.A. Marzulli has been talking about UFO's for years.. was called a "tin foil hatter" for that same amount of time..
Now, more and more "disclosure" is coming out in regards to unexplainable events and the "answer" of them being life from other planets... is more and more popular in the media.
Even in movies..

I believe that Hollywood uses their craft to numb our minds with moral callouses.. and... prepare us for events that they have been hiding.. Like "crafts not of this world" and... could it be... the "truth" about the moon...

Not that it is as they show in "Moon Fall" but... preparing us for revelations of what those with very high security clearance already know.

Anyway, the movie is total nonsense... other than preparing us for alternate truths... IMO.
Do you have any examples? Meanwhile even amateur astronomers can confirm that the Moon reflect light themselves. You might want to do a Google search on how we know that the Moon reflects Sunlight. I can think of one very clear example.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Do you have any examples? Meanwhile even amateur astronomers can confirm that the Moon reflect light themselves. You might want to do a Google search on how we know that the Moon reflects Sunlight. I can think of one very clear example.
Examples of what?
I'm just stating that a new movie that deals with a bizzar idea of what the moon really is... could be preparing us, as other movies and such are, for bizzar truths that are being concealed. All the while numbing our brains to odd findings and events.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Examples of what?
I'm just stating that a new movie that deals with a bizzar idea of what the moon really is... could be preparing us, as other movies and such are, for bizzar truths that are being concealed. All the while numbing our brains to odd findings and events.
One should not take works of fiction seriously.

Upvote 0

JacksBratt

Searching for Truth
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2014
✟570,686.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
One should not take works of fiction seriously.
I am well aware of the fact that it is a work of fiction.. .However... the fiction put out by Hollywood affects the minds of all those that are watching it.

Upvote 0

prodromos

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Nov 28, 2003
Sydney, Straya
✟1,182,904.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I am well aware of the fact that it is a work of fiction.. .However... the fiction put out by Hollywood affects the minds of all those that are watching it.
Hogwarts is real! I swear!

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That only tells you that the writer of that verse did not understand that the Moon merely reflects Sunlight.
I see. So do you at least agree that the writer is stating that the moon is a light?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Of course it is a light. That does not take too much in the way of observation.
Most Christians say these verses don't say it's a light, so I thought I'd ask an Atheist. Thanks.

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Most Christians say these verses don't say it's a light, so I thought I'd ask an Atheist. Thanks.
Perhaps you misunderstand what Christians say that they are. The Moon is a light since it reflects the light of the Sun. It is an indirect source of light. Most Christians would agree with that. There are a very very few that believe that the Moon is a source of light of its own. And that is easily refuted.

The title of this thread asks if the Moon is "its own source of light" and the answer to that by almost everyone is "No" Christian or atheist.

Upvote 0

Paul4JC

Apr 5, 2020
California
✟164,654.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Perhaps you misunderstand what Christians say that they are. The Moon is a light since it reflects the light of the Sun. It is an indirect source of light. Most Christians would agree with that. There are a very very few that believe that the Moon is a source of light of its own. And that is easily refuted.
I'm not debating the source part. I'm just asking do the verses say it's a light or they do not? Do they say it's a reflection? Does it say it's an indirect source of light? Does it say what it says?

Upvote 0

Subduction Zone

Dec 17, 2012
✟230,461.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
I'm not debating the source part. I'm just asking do the verses say it's a light or they do not? Do they say it's a reflection? Does it say it's an indirect source of light? Does it say what it says?
In my opinion the verses do not specify whether the Moon is a source in its own right. It is of course a light. It does say that, but that is about the same as saying that on a clear day the sky is blue.

My personal problem arises when some extremists do claim that the verses say that it is a source in its own right. I will disagree with that.

Upvote 0