Jan 12, 2007
✟136,858.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Next week the All-Merciful Saviour Monastery on Vashon Island (ROCOR) will be having their annual pilgrimage due to the monastery's altar feast day. Thankfully, it is only a drive to the dock, a ferry ride and another drive to the monastery all under two hours of travel time.

I have never been to a monastery before. All I know is that the pilgrimage "lasts" from Tuesday the 11th, until Friday the 14th, an auxillary bishop from the ROCOR (the name escapes me right now) will be there and our sub-deacon, who knows the abbot, is plotting to have me serve in the impending heirarchical Divine Liturgy in which he will be serving as well.

Since this is my first monastery visit, what do I need to know? Anything by way of advice, experience and/or words of wisdom shall be greatly appreciated!

Blackknight

Servant of God
Jan 21, 2009
Jackson, MI
Visit site
✟10,999.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I think the forums ate my post. :D

Just be respectful and you'll be fine, the monks should show you around any way.

Oh, and remember that Orthodox monks are addressed as "Father", whether they're a priest or not. Under no circumstances do you address them as "Brother"!

Upvote 0

Khaleas

Also known as Jenn the Finn :)
Feb 2, 2005
Virginia
✟9,581.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I think the forums ate my post. :D

Just be respectful and you'll be fine, the monks should show you around any way.

Oh, and remember that Orthodox monks are addressed as "Father", whether they're a priest or not. Under no circumstances do you address them as "Brother"!

Don't know about that... here at least non-tonsured 'monks' are addressed as Brother and tonsured monks as Father. Same for nuns, Sister for non-tonsured, Mother for tonsured.

Upvote 0

tekiahteruah

Sep 18, 2007
✟7,985.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree with the "don't worry too much" comment... most people I know who visit monasteries for the first time come back saying it was so much less stressful and intense than expected... in general, monastics in my experience are some of the most loving, down-to-earth people you can meet. Just show up ready to worship God with your brothers and sisters in the faith and you'll be fine.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Status
Not open for further replies.