Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The joy and blessings that come from time spent serving Christ is worth every minute.

“Act on this word. If all you do is listen to it, you are deceiving yourselves. There is, on the other hand, the man who peers into freedom’s ideal law and abides by it. He is no forgetful listener, but one who carries out the law in practice. Blest will this man be in whatever he does.” (James 1:19-22, 25)

Visiting the elderly often seems like something we all talk about doing but never quite get around to finding the time for it. Many of us are aware that all the elderly want is even just a phone call. And yet this short weekly task falls by the wayside.

When I was younger, I found it difficult to visit with people in a nursing home. It wasn’t until my mother passed away, when I looked to her two surviving sisters for solace, that I could see the value of spending time with the aged.

It is not always easy to choose to visit elderly relatives. Their lack of memory or difficulty walking can make talking or moving with them less than desirable compared to a good time spent with much younger people. It can be hard work involving a lot of praying to keep a conversation with seniors positive and on track while also walking slowly and carefully with them just from the curb to a local restaurant. Nevertheless, the joy of time spent with such wisdom and in serving Christ in whom we perceive to be the least of us, more than makes up for the added effort.

Continued below.