Modern day systemic racism, does it exist?

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
What's racist is even first-time offenders have worse outcomes if you are black or Latino. One offender doesn't get more time because all black people get convicted of more crime per capita.

I'll await your dismissal :wave:
maybe judges throw the book at gangbangers. I don't see Asian Americans disproportionately committing crime and doing time. Where is the racism?

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Unfortunately studies of the outcomes AFTER ARREST show a similar bias for white offenders. Black offenders will usually have a higher rate of conviction and a harsher sentence than the white offender.

So it doesn't matter if they were slangin' on a street corner or in mommy and daddy's den, once arrested it is still systemically racist against the black offenders.
The more money you have, the better lawyers and defense you can afford. Blacks have on average less money so can’t afford the expensive lawyers many of the white people can afford. However even if economics were not the case; if the bias is due to crooked judges, lawyers, or other racist people in the justice system, that is not systemic racism, that is individuals within the system imposing racism. In order for systemic racism to be the problem, there has to be some law or policy in place that is racist.

• Agree
Reactions: rjs330
Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
however following the arrest black individuals had almost twice the number of sentences resulting in incarceration than whites and significantly longer sentences than whites with an average sentence being 12 months longer for black offenders.
Comparing Black and White Drug Offenders: Implications for Racial Disparities in Criminal Justice and Reentry Policy and Programming Alana Rosenberg. J of Drug Use Dec 2017
Is there a policy in place requiring blacks to receive longer sentences than whites for the same crime? Or is this the result of crooked people going against the laws of the system in order to impose their personal racial biases?

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟147,425.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
What's racist is even first-time offenders have worse outcomes if you are black or Latino. One offender doesn't get more time because all black people get convicted of more crime per capita.

I'll await your dismissal :wave:

We await your data

Upvote 0

Ken-1122

Jan 30, 2011
✟225,690.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
So, yeah, class factors in. But interestingly enough class is also quite well correlated with race in America.

That's systemic.
I disagree. Black immigrants from the Diaspora (Africa, Caribbeans, Bahamas, South America, etc) out preform native blacks at the education and economic level (Actually Nigerians outperform white Americans) even though they are of the same race; I think culture is the main issue not race

Upvote 0

Tiberius Lee

Sep 6, 2017
Wisconsin
✟145,602.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
They have the same path that millions of other immigrants have taken. The US takes in half the world's immigrants.

Yet business use those illegal immigrants, government ( republican and democrat) let those business use illegal immigrant labor force because those illegal immigrant keep the price at the grocery store down… you can chant all you want about “ send back illegals to their country” , but you and I both love buying cheap potato and avocado.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I disagree. Black immigrants from the Diaspora (Africa, Caribbeans, Bahamas, South America, etc) out preform native blacks at the education and economic level (Actually Nigerians outperform white Americans) even though they are of the same race; I think culture is the main issue not race
Thank you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟725,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
I've been to the ghetto. Everyone knows you don't talk to cops and police don't hang around risking their lives.
So do they or do they not arrest people in the ghetto? If so, the police are there arresting them.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟725,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
We await your data
Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders. Black male offenders received sentences on average 19.1 percent longer than similarly situated White male offenders during the Post-Report period (fiscal years 2012-2016), as they had for the prior four periods studied. The differences in sentence length remained relatively unchanged compared to the Post-Gall period.

Demographic Differences in Sentencing

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Yet business use those illegal immigrants, government ( republican and democrat) let those business use illegal immigrant labor force because those illegal immigrant keep the price at the grocery store down… you can chant all you want about “ send back illegals to their country” , but you and I both love buying cheap potato and avocado.
I haven't chanted anything. Like I said they can go through the process other immigrants go through.

• Agree
Reactions: Estrid
Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So do they or do they not arrest people in the ghetto? If so, the police are there arresting them.
.My point was there is not a high police presence there. Cops don't sit on the corners of the guetto.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Parmallia

Nov 7, 2021
PNW
✟14,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private
Black americans disproportionately commit more crime.

Keep ignoring the studies if you must. I understand.

Why do you think that is? (I keep asking but you refuse to answer...could it be...nah, you wouldn't actually think THAT would you? Nah...or is it?)

What impact does that have on their sentencing? Maybe they have a longer criminal record? Stats can be manipulated any way you want them. But are the stats representing all variables or is it just political propaganda?

You would have to understand stats first.

You COULD read the articles, but again, you'd have to understand a lot of the heavier math concepts. Sorry 'bout that.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Black male offenders continued to receive longer sentences than similarly situated White male offenders. Black male offenders received sentences on average 19.1 percent longer than similarly situated White male offenders during the Post-Report period (fiscal years 2012-2016), as they had for the prior four periods studied. The differences in sentence length remained relatively unchanged compared to the Post-Gall period.

Demographic Differences in Sentencing
19 percent? That could be explained in any number of possible situations besides systemic racism. They also have more systemic, i mean disproportionate gang activity.

Upvote 0

Parmallia

Nov 7, 2021
PNW
✟14,091.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Private

Culture. Niiiice.

What is it about "their" culture do you think?

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Keep ignoring the studies if you must. I understand.

Why do you think that is? (I keep asking but you refuse to answer...could it be...nah, you wouldn't actually think THAT would you? Nah...or is it?)

You would have to understand stats first.

You COULD read the articles, but again, you'd have to understand a lot of the heavier math concepts. Sorry 'bout that.
Keep ignoring the fact that disproportionate crime means disproportionate time.

Upvote 0

IWalkAlone

Oct 26, 2021
Ohio
✟11,916.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Culture. Niiiice.

What is it about "their" culture do you think?
Gang activity for one. People in the ghetto can't call the cops like other people because they will become a target. Gang activity is a primary reason for black americans being killed and incarcerated.

Upvote 0