Modern day systemic racism, does it exist?

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,823.00
Faith
Pentecostal

FBI Arrests Antioch, Pittsburg Police Officers Following Indictments

The FBI arrested nine East Bay police officers on Thursday for alleged civil rights violations, interfering with investigations and defrauding their employers, Ismail Ramsey, U.S. attorney for the Northern District of California, said at a press conference on Thursday afternoon.

The arrests were made in a series of raids early Thursday morning across and beyond the Bay Area, following an 18-month FBI investigation and the release of four federal grand jury indictments against the officers. Charges include conspiracy to commit wire fraud, deprivation of civil rights and destruction of records.

The fourth and final indictment announced Thursday alleges that Morteza Amiri, Eric Rombough and Devon Wenger, all with the APD, carried out what Ramsey called a “disturbing litany” of civil rights violations. The violations include inappropriately deploying a canine and other weapons in order to deliberately harm individuals in Antioch.

“Defendants boasted about their illegal uses of force,” the federal attorney said.

In several messages, the officers bragged about racial profiling and beating suspects.
Just totally reprehensible. The epitome of tarnishing the badge and a total failure of upholding the standards which they swore to uphold. I hope they serve the maximum amount of time they can.

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟215,385.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Just totally reprehensible. The epitome of tarnishing the badge and a total failure of upholding the standards which they swore to uphold. I hope they serve the maximum amount of time they can.
Me too. Sadly, I anticipate that things are going to get worse and worse with so many good officers having quit. The same goes for our military.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,823.00
Faith
Pentecostal

This is what she has said in the past.

In an interview with NPR in 2021, McElroy said journalists should be pushed to find information from beyond what she called traditional sources that “skewed white patriarchy.”

“We can’t just give people a set of facts anymore,” she said. “I think we know that and we have to tell our students that. This is not about getting two sides of a story or three sides of a story, if one side is illegitimate. I think now you cannot cover education, you cannot cover criminal justice, you can’t cover all of these institutions without realizing how all these institutions were built.

A couple of Texas groups saw her as an woke propagandist. Which she is and they put pressure on the school to consider that. One group said.

The Rudder Association, which describes itself as a collection of Texas A&M students, former students, faculty and staff who are “dedicated Aggies committed to preserving and perpetuating the core values and unique spirit of Texas A&M,” also has acknowledged complaining to school administrators about McElroy’s hiring.

“TRA believes that a department head should embrace the egalitarian and merit-based traditions that characterize Texas A&M’s values, rather than the divisive ideology of identity politics,” the group wrote last week.

It's obvious from her past that McElroy is a purveyor of identity politics. Does the school really want someone like that in their school? I think they have a right to consider what this person is going to be teaching their kids. Who cares if she's back or white. It's her ideology that matters here. And the fact that this turns into a racial thing is proof that identity politics is in play. Claiming this is strictly racial in nature is preposterous. Especially after she was hired to begin with.

Upvote 0

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟337,823.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Me too. Sadly, I anticipate that things are going to get worse and worse with so many good officers having quit. The same goes for our military.
Yeah I don't know how long these guys had been on the force. I think there is something to be said for lower hiring standards being a problem. But crooked cops have been around forever.

But as long as departments lower standards just to get people it is going to get worse. And as long as cops feel the public pressure from all the leftists pushing impossible standards in them and criticizing them every time they turn around good people aren't going to want to be a part of that. That's why smaller communities usually do better because cops are still appreciated. They are perfect and have seen crooked cops there too, but I've seen better cops in places that appreciate them and really support them than in places that don't.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Alien, Pilgrim, and Sojourner
Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Is it?

I've heard peoples' accounts of why this, and, who
did that, and then the other side.

Ive also read news accounts. You know how
that goes.

An Asian acquaintance in the USA has so
many encounters with racists that, well, based
on my experience in the USA, she is lying.

If the actual topic is SYSTEMIC racism,
not what one or six people got together and did,
then got caught and busted, the storirs for this
thread dried up long ago.

What exactly is the purpose of more postings?

Headlines like " Yet another black man robs a 711
and shoots everyone full of holes" could be
true enough, but what purpose do you see in it?
I think I agree with you, although I'm not sure what you're saying.

I remember pre-Civil Rights Act America, and I know my experiences since then. When I hear young black people talking about experiencing racism "all the time," I'm raising my eyebrows. For instance, I've been "driving while black" for over 50 years. That includes driving through what ought to be the most racist states in the Union. In a half century of driving, I've had five interactions with police officers.

The first one was actually the first time I was ever behind the wheel. I was 15 and a half, driving on a learner's permit and clipped a parked car. That white police officer merely took me back home and left me in the custody of my mother. Three other incidents involved me actually making driving mistakes. Only one of those resulted in a ticket, which the judge dismissed in court. One was in DC, when I called the police after someone rear-ended me and fled the scene. The responding officers in that case were black...and those were the only police officers that have ever disrespected me.

None of the black people over the years I've been acquainted with enough to be knowledgeable of their experiences report having constant harrowing run-ins with the police. But I hear over the Internet, "...all the time!"

The same with stories of blatant racism in businesses, schools, et cetera. I could tell you stories from the late 60s. But today...I'm not seeing it. But young people on the Internet are saying, "It's just as bad as the 50s!"

I remember the 50s...I disagree.

One difference is that back in the 60s, we weren't worried about white people being racist. It wasn't the state of being racist that we were concerned about...because we more or less expected that anyway. We didn't expect white people to like us, and certainly not to "celebrate" us. We just wanted the same civil rights as the racists had. We would never have expected white people to celebrate Juneteenth...and would not have been broken up about it if white people didn't.

The racism I see now seems to break into three parts: One is real racism...but that's not so prevalent anymore, and I think it will mostly die with the Boomer Generation.

The second seems to be an inability to distinguish jerks from racists. A lot of white people are just jerks...to everybody who might be vulnerable. And when they're a jerk to a black person, it's not actually racism. They're just jerks. Edit: If he were truly racist, he'd only be a jerk to blacks. But he's a jerk to everyone.

The third, which I think is growing and the most prevalent in younger generations is "reactionary racism." That's something we black people are bringing on ourselves. But I think reactionary racism can be extinguished pretty quickly if the fuel source (our own actions) is turned off.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟368,409.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
How do you know they were good?

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
The largest credit union in the US has the widest disparity in mortgage approval rates between White and Black borrowers of any major lender, a trend that reached new heights last year, a CNN analysis found.

A deeper statistical analysis performed by CNN found that Black applicants to Navy Federal were more than twice as likely to be denied as White applicants even when more than a dozen different variables – including income, debt-to-income ratio, property value, downpayment percentage, and neighborhood characteristics – were the same.

Navy Federal approved a slightly higher percentage of applications from White borrowers making less than $62,000 a year than it did of Black borrowers making $140,000 or more.

• Wow
Reactions: MotoToTheMax
Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The largest credit union in the US has the widest disparity in mortgage approval rates between White and Black borrowers of any major lender, a trend that reached new heights last year, a CNN analysis found.

A deeper statistical analysis performed by CNN found that Black applicants to Navy Federal were more than twice as likely to be denied as White applicants even when more than a dozen different variables – including income, debt-to-income ratio, property value, downpayment percentage, and neighborhood characteristics – were the same.

Navy Federal approved a slightly higher percentage of applications from White borrowers making less than $62,000 a year than it did of Black borrowers making $140,000 or more.
Those applications are by email. I'm a member myself...I joined it while I was at Pearl Harbor and haven't been able to leave it...it's kind of like joining the Mafia.

But this was the credit union's response:

"Pearson said that CNN’s analysis “does not accurately reflect our practices” because it did not account for “major criteria required by any financial institution to approve a mortgage loan.” Those factors included “credit score, available cash deposits and relationship history with lender,” he said.

I'd like to see a comparison of the black applicants who were accepted with the black applicants who were rejected...because I understand that black people are not a monolith.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,732.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Correct. CNN then asked if they could see the data on those other factors. 'Nope'. So it's a claim, but no way to verify. But the huge disparity between Navy Federal and other banks does require some sort of explanation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟143,668.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
A comprehensive study on racial disparity in Allegheny County’s [Pittsburgh] criminal justice system shows that Black people are five times more likely to be arrested than white people, 10 times more likely to be held in jail while awaiting trial and nine times more likely to be convicted of a felony.

Former U.S. Attorney Fred Thieman, a co-chair for the University of Pittsburgh’s Institute of Politics, called the findings disturbing.

“These problems need to be solved,” he said. “They need to be addressed, but the criminal justice system can’t solve all of them.”

Education, poverty levels and lack of opportunity all contribute to issues of race disparity, Thieman said.

The results of the 248-page study, conducted by Rand Corporation and RTI International, were announced Tuesday morning at a news conference hosted by County Executive Rich Fitzgerald.

Thieman called the report complicated and nuanced, just like the criminal justice system. The study was commissioned by the Institute of Politics, and work began on it eight years ago.

The report looked at four areas of the criminal justice process: policing, pretrial detention, criminal court and probation.

The data it used stemmed from arrests made between 2017 and 2019. During that time, 88,511 new criminal charges were filed, the study found.

Upvote 0

RDKirk

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2013
US
✟1,477,325.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Correct. CNN then asked if they could see the data on those other factors. 'Nope'. So it's a claim, but no way to verify. But the huge disparity between Navy Federal and other banks does require some sort of explanation.
As I said: I'd like to see a comparison of the black applicants who were accepted with the black applicants who were rejected...because I understand that black people are not a monolith.

I've never been denied a mortgage loan (or any loan or credit that I've applied for). I've never been a "high wage earner" and I've always been black.
It's possible to be a high wage earner and yet a poor credit risk. I'm aware enough of how we as black people as an overall group tend to mishandle money even if we make a lot of it. We know that among ourselves. I have an argument as to why white people are the original cause, but it's a problem white people can't solve for us.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Those applications are by email. I'm a member myself...I joined it while I was at Pearl Harbor and haven't been able to leave it...it's kind of like joining the Mafia.

I'd like to see a comparison of the black applicants who were accepted with the black applicants who were rejected...because I understand that black people are not a monolith.
Kind of like other people, that way.

Upvote 0

Estrid

Feb 10, 2021
Hong Kong
✟151,455.00
Country
Hong Kong
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Let concerned parties do class action.
Its not our affair.
Except to keep pot boiling.

Upvote 0