Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Do you ever find yourself reminiscing and/or getting a little melancholy over bizarre things?

Like, for instance, I'm a little melancholy over the fact I will likely never have a zit again. Now, I was never really a zitty kid, but there was a phase when I was going through puberty when I got a few honkers. In a bizarre sense - I kinda enjoyed 'em...lol

But, that phase is long gone, and I know that I'll never experience that again. In a sense I kind of envy the fact that in 7-8 years, my son will go through a phase where he feels all hot and itchy, kinda greasy, and gets the occasional honking zit. Whereas for me it's just smooth sailing until the end.

lol

You ever have odd thoughts like that?

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,261,687.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Well, I could put you on the couch and say that has more to do with ambivalence about maturity.

I had cystic acne, and I had to continue treating it well into my 30's. I don't miss it for a minute.

Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Well, I could put you on the couch and say that has more to do with ambivalence about maturity.

I had cystic acne, and I had to continue treating it well into my 30's. I don't miss it for a minute.
Yeah, that's a different kind of scenario altogether!

Upvote 0

nonaeroterraqueous

Nonexistent Member
Aug 16, 2014
✟188,987.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Nope. For some reason I have a sort of anti-nostalgia. I never long for anything from the past. I hope to never see my old friends. I have no desire to return to my youth. All of my hopes and dreams from times gone by are nothing but an embarrassment to me.

Upvote 0

mama2one

Apr 8, 2018
U.S.A.
✟257,683.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you ever find yourself reminiscing

just tonight when picking a new avatar

looking back at pics when our child was younger playing in the snow, in leaves, with playdoh, acting silly, dancing, doing cartwheels, etc

Last edited:
Upvote 0

snoochface

Meet the new boss -- same as the old boss.
Jan 3, 2005
San Marcos, CA
✟175,547.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
When I was a kid, I used to be outdoors all the time in the summer and fall. We had a nature center nearby with walking trails through the woods and down to a lake and I'd be in those woods all the time, or laying on the grass by the lake.

Now, I hate nature. I hate bugs. I hate being hot and sweaty and sticky, I hate mosquitoes and crickets and ants. I spend five minutes outdoors and I feel like my skin is crawling.

So I'm nostalgic for those days when I apparently didn't care about any of that, and being outdoors and in nature just meant freedom and beauty and glorious summer and autumn days.

Upvote 0

Dave-W

Welcoming grandchild #7, Arturus Waggoner!
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2014
Maryland - just north of D.C.
Visit site
✟771,800.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Do you ever find yourself reminiscing and/or getting a little melancholy over bizarre things?
Yeah - sometimes.

Maybe it is a longing for the responsibility-free days of youth. The little things that happened that symbolize that in our minds.

Upvote 0

PeachieKeen

Apr 24, 2017
Southwest
✟104,538.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I miss when my family was all close by and I could just knock on a few doors to find a friend to hang out with. I miss not having a million responsibilities and not always feeling like I'm drowning.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Other scholars got to me before you did!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Like, for instance, I'm a little melancholy over the fact I will likely never have a zit again. Now, I was never really a zitty kid, but there was a phase when I was going through puberty when I got a few honkers. In a bizarre sense - I kinda enjoyed 'em...lol

But, that phase is long gone, and I know that I'll never experience that again. In a sense I kind of envy the fact that in 7-8 years, my son will go through a phase where he feels all hot and itchy, kinda greasy, and gets the occasional honking zit. Whereas for me it's just smooth sailing until the end.

lol

Yeah, I miss being a kid of age 6 to 10 when science fiction [Star Wars] and comic books [X-men] were ultra-fascinating and seemed more like "big people" ideas, and ******************************************. Actually, on second thought, now I'm just kinda like: Oh, I see now. ...so that's where it's all been going all along...!!! :lost:

Meh. How dross.

[edited for your viewing comfort.]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Odetta

Thankful for grace
Jan 24, 2014
Georgia
✟32,318.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I miss swinging on my grandma's porch, and drinking coffee (with lots of milk and sugar) out of saucer, because it stayed too hot if left in the cup. I don't miss zits, because as a woman of a certain age, I still get one on occasion.

Reactions: DZoolander
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

lol

I wish zits were all that I had to worry about as a kid... :rolleyes: But looking back, my feelings of it all seem reminiscent of those also evoked by that song by Styx, The Best of Times (for both the good and the bad times). Yeah, this song about sums up my childhood "nostalgia," and ironically, it does so as one of my favorite songs when I was a 12 year old:

...now this song counts as an expression of my life with my wife and kid. :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DZoolander

Persnickety Member
Apr 24, 2007
Far far away
✟120,134.00
Country
United States
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I wish zits were all that I had to worry about as a kid... :rolleyes: But looking back, my feelings of it all seem reminiscent of those also evoked by that song by Styx, The Best of Times (for both the good and the bad times). Yeah, this song about sums up my childhood "nostalgia," and ironically, it does so as one of my favorite songs when I was a 12 year old:

...now this song counts as an expression of my life with my wife and kid. :cool:
Great song! We must be around the same age - unless you had an older sibling whose album collection you raided...lol

A few weeks ago I was driving around and heard this song (from the same time era as the Styx song) which I hadn't heard in ages. Funny how a song can bring back so many memories and other visceral feelings from long ago.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Great song! We must be around the same age - unless you had an older sibling whose album collection you raided...lol
Lol! No, I bought my original vinyl copy of Paradise Theatre at the record store the year it was released. In fact, it was the first LP I ever bought...................good times, my friend. Good times! ;) And yes, I suppose we're about the same age.

A few weeks ago I was driving around and heard this song (from the same time as the Styx song) which I hadn't heard in ages. Funny how a song can bring back so many memories and other visceral feelings from long ago.

...Crimson and Clover, ay? Oh.............man! That came out when I hit puberty full swing. Yes, you're right about those memories and other visceral feelings that can get all tied into a song..............:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,133,801.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lol! No, I bought my original vinyl copy of Paradise Theatre at the record store the year it was released. In fact, it was the first LP I ever bought...................good times, my friend. Good times! ;) And yes, I suppose we're about the same age.

...Crimson and Clover, ay? Oh.............man! That came out when I hit puberty full swing. Yes, you're right about those memories and other visceral feelings that can get all tied into a song..............:rolleyes:

Since we're tossing visceral remembrace at each other, and since you just had to play Joan Jett, then I'm going to play one that harkens back to Joan Jett's predecessor from the 1970s, Suzie Quatro---I love my pre-pubescent 70s childhood, man!

Upvote 0