United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Define women and men's work?

Defining such work is like defining inappropriate contentography. A judge once famously said, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,506,548.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There's women's work, men's work, and work that can be done by either. What's the problem?

Defining such work is like defining inappropriate contentography. A judge once famously said, "I can't define it, but I know it when I see it."

The problem is the unnecessary restrictions imposed on people when these indefinable social boundaries are enforced.

Upvote 0

Robban

-----------
Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2009
✟651,624.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Divorced
Define women and men's work?

Why not opt for the old Chinese saying;

"Makes no difference if the cat is black or white,
as long as it catches mice."

Today, thanks to technology there is not so much difference, compared to years ago, coal miners were men,
nurses were women and typists,
before trucks and buses had servo steering it was mainly mens work.
Apart from war years.

Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The problem is the unnecessary restrictions imposed on people when these indefinable social boundaries are enforced.

I saw a woman working a scrapyard once. I thought, "That ain't right." That was years ago before the social order was turned on it's head. ^_^

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I think most of those restrictions are gone.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟429,902.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Well, I guess I won't be taking any advice on how to raise a daughter (that I don't have) from a rapping calculator, because my goodness the OP sure is disturbing. No, no, and a million times no.

Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
There's women's work, men's work, and work that can be done by either. What's the problem?
You're still pigeonholing based on sex and gender roles rather than simple capacity that doesn't need to refer to either even if it might be more common for men or women respectively.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Pretty sure we have general definitions for inappropriate contentography based on its intent for a general audience, it's subjective whether one individual or another will find it arousing, but that's kind of the general idea one has in mind, it's not nearly that relative and subjective as you characterize it.

And with gender roles, it's even less clear because industrialization and such have made it more egalitarian in regards to capacity

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You're still pigeonholing based on sex and gender roles rather than simple capacity that doesn't need to refer to either even if it might be more common for men or women respectively.

Not at all. Much work can be done by either. The question is whether it should be. Why do you think so many working women are fighting for parental leave? What's wrong with daycare centers raising our kids?

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Not at all. Much work can be done by either. The question is whether it should be. Why do you think so many working women are fighting for parental leave? What's wrong with daycare centers raising our kids?

There is nothing wrong with day nurseries as long as they are good ones. My two married daughters put their pre-school children in day nurseries, whilst they were working, and there were no problems at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
There is nothing wrong with day nurseries as long as they are good ones. My two married daughters put their pre-school children in day nurseries, whilst they were working, and there were no problems at all.

I think the younger generation is deeply troubled, partly by dysfunctional family life that offers no sound role models.

Upvote 0

pleinmont

Jan 8, 2020
North Wales
✟23,411.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
I think the younger generation is deeply troubled, partly by dysfunctional family life that offers no sound role models.

Family life could be very dysfunctional when I was growing up in the 50s/60s, especially if the male of the species thought women were subservient to them,

• Agree
Upvote 0

muichimotsu

I Spit On Perfection
May 16, 2006
✟106,458.00
Country
United States
Faith
Skeptic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You think it's just role models, or even primarily that issue? I think I had good male and female role models to understand in a general sense about men and women, there are other issues that can be more fundamental to dysfunctional family life, like inability to properly communicate things, etc.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Family life could be very dysfunctional when I was growing up in the 50s/60s, especially if the male of the species thought women were subservient to them,

The traditional roles aren't to blame. That said I agree that men generally don't understand their responsibility as husbands and fathers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You think it's just role models, or even primarily that issue? I think I had good male and female role models to understand in a general sense about men and women, there are other issues that can be more fundamental to dysfunctional family life, like inability to properly communicate things, etc.

I agree. But the biggest problem is the lack of love.

Upvote 0