• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Misogyny is disgusting

Discussion in 'Ethics & Morality' started by Brightmoon, Nov 7, 2019.

1. OldWiseGuy

OldWiseGuy Wake me when it's soup. Supporter

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Many small companies simply aren't able to provide this service. That's why such proposals are only applied to companies with lots of employees and deep pockets.

I deal with a machining company that has only one employee. If he goes on family leave the company shuts down.

2. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,212
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    If men are so horrified at women leading, shouldn't the men stay home to care for the children, then? This whole argument is ridiculous.

As to the "impossibility" of maternity leave, again, I live in a country where every employee has the right to a year's (unpaid) maternity leave. It works just fine; often contracts to cover maternity leave are the opportunity someone else has been waiting for.

3. OldWiseGuy

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Men aren't 'horrified'.

Kudos to Australia.

4. Paidiske

Paidiske Clara bonam audax Supporter

+14,212
    Australia
    Anglican
    Married
    There's still all this carry-on about how terrible daycare is, and its "iron grip on our kids minds."

The point being, we've debunked the argument that it can't work. It can and does.

5. muichimotsu

muichimotsu I Spit On Perfection

+691
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Saying something is obvious is a telltale sign you aren't willing to consider the other perspectives, essentially assuming your perception is accurate without question

6. Lazarus Long

Lazarus Long Member

+107
    Australia
    Atheist
    Married
    There is still a cohort of men who are afraid of confident, resourceful, independent women. They were indoctrinated with the idea that men are superior and to have that challenged by "women" is beyond their capacity to cope, this cohort is shrinking rapidly and that is just as frightening to them and it's why they have become more vocal, they are trying desperately to assemble as strong a rear guard as they can before they are overrun by people who eschew their indoctrination. In civilised countries their war is lost but they are desperately fighting a futile rear guard action, the result in America is still of concern to civilised countries.

7. OldWiseGuy

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    There are exceptions of course, but most problems have simple solutions.

8. muichimotsu

+691
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Not when the simple notion reduces things to one factor rather than how interconnected things can and even are demonstrated to be. Trying to fix the economy is not going to be that easy anymore than trying to find clean energy

9. OldWiseGuy

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Identifying solutions is easy. Implementing them is the hard part.

The solution to the energy problem is conservation first. Stop filling the air with wasted energy byproducts. Once we do this we can move on to developing cleaner sources.

The economy, by it's very nature, cannot be 'fixed'.

We don't really have technical problems. We have people problems, which of course is central to solving, or not solving, our problems.

Many problems will not be solved, because few care enough about them.

At the end of the day each individual deals with the problems that face them personally.

That said most of our larger problems are just the collective result of individual actions, or inactions. Which of course begs the question: What is the responsibility of the individual?

10. muichimotsu

+691
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    An individual is necessarily part of a collective to some degree, the 2 aspects cannot be separated fundamentally from each other, but viewed holistically

11. OldWiseGuy

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    Littering is a good example of a collective problem caused by individuals.

12. muichimotsu

+691
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    Pollution in general is such a problem and yet still hasn't seemingly been addressed over decades of trying to solve it in one form or another

13. OldWiseGuy

+8,844
    United States
    Protestant
    Single
    US-Others
    I think it's a question of mental development.

I once had a part time maintenance job in an apartment building occupied by grad students. I got a call about a troublesome toilet. Our city water is very hard, and the toilet was suffering from a buildup of mineral residue that prevented it from flushing properly. As I labored to remedy the problem the tenant, with whom I was conversing as I worked, suddenly said, "I can't see you doing this". Meaning that he couldn't understand why a well-spoken person like me would 'stoop' to cleaning toilets.

Of course I was taken aback and didn't have a response. But the thought occurred to me later that this fellow also couldn't see himself cleaning his own toilet so that it would function properly. I wondered what other 'distasteful' jobs were beneath this fellow.

14. Thomas White

Thomas White Active Member

+179
    United States
    Methodist
    Married
    I know this post is old, but as I read through the pages, I could not stop thinking about it. Rap, as a whole, is not sinful. Please see the example below:

15. muichimotsu

+691
    United States
    Buddhist
    Single
    US-Libertarian
    I wouldn't characterize people as seeing themselves as below it, but not really interested in learning something that technical in nature usually