1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. We are holding our 2022 Angel Ministry Drive now. Please consider signing up, or if you have any questions about being an Angel, use our staff application form. The world needs more prayer now, and it is a great way to help other members of the forums. :) To Apply...click here

Militants of TAW starting January 2006 (Introduction Thread)

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Akathist, Jan 10, 2006.

1. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    welcome!

2. ~Anastasia~

~Anastasia~ † Handmaid of God †

+16,595
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hello and welcome to CF and to TAW!

Many parts of your story are pretty similar to mine. And I suspect a good number of people we meet here. :)

3. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,734
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome!

4. Moses Medina

Moses Medina Layman

+306
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Realized I never have posted here.

Moses, Chrismated 14 April 2019.
    Just a layman.

5. SalemsConcordance

SalemsConcordance Member

+159
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Hello! I have been lurking for a few months, inquiring since the start of this year, and am now a Catechumen as of a few weeks ago in Washington state, GOCA near Seattle. I was a LDS member until my early teens, then lost as a agnostic, gnostic, sometimes atheist for nearly twenty years, and just came back to God last year.
    I may write more later, but I appreciate this forums knowledge helping me with questions on the faith and process.

• Like Like x 7
    • Prayers Prayers x 1
    • List
  6. ArmyMatt

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    welcome!

7. All4Christ

All4Christ ✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙ CF Senior Ambassador Supporter

+7,734
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome!!

8. Hermit76

Hermit76 You can call me Paisios Supporter

+2,152
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Welcome

9. Melily

Melily Active Member

+231
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    My name is Melissa. Melily is short for Melissa Lynn. I’m a catechumen in the Greek Orthodox Church (I’m in the USA). I’m 51, married with 2 adult daughters. We are empty nesters with 2 dogs and a cat. I enjoy reading and hiking.

• Like Like x 7
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  10. ArmyMatt

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    welcome!

11. Via Cassian

Via Cassian Fuga mundi (flight from the world)

+182
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    1. Real first name:

John

2. What jurisdiction your parish is in:

Don't have one yet. I am in Tampa, Florida

3. Status:

Serious Inquirer, but am trying to find the place to begin.

4. Any other information:

Marital status: Widower

Children: Two, grown

Pets: None

Hobbies: photography, Florida day trips, Florida history, history of Europe, history of the US Apollo space program, geocaching

Life style: ascetic, contemplative withdrawn from the world.

12. ArmyMatt

+18,321
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    welcome!

13. Phronema

Phronema Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,405
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Welcome! I'm originally from Sarasota, FL, and that's a beautiful part of Florida. I hope you find your time in TAW edifying.

14. Via Cassian

+182
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Thank you ArmyMatt!

15. Via Cassian

+182
    United States
    Catholic
    Private
    Thank you. You must be a rare Florida native who moved away from Florida, most people move into the state! I am a nonnative, having moved to Florida in 1963. The Tampa area has been home since 1973.

I am impressed with the faithful souls on TAW, it's good community.

16. Phronema

Phronema Orthodox Christian Supporter

+1,405
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You're quite welcome. I live in the Florida Panhandle now due to my job, but I still have a few family members, and friends down that direction. I spent some time down there last year in Sarasota as well, and loved it all over again. The area is a bit expensive, but it certainly is nice.

I agree on TAW being good community. I was new here a few years back, and spent a long time lurking, but we have a good group here. Folks are always friendly, and willing to answer any questions you may have. I hope you enjoy it here.

17. Melily

Melily Active Member

+231
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Welcome John! I’m new here too. Everyone has been so nice.

18. cradleGO

cradleGO Road Map

+6
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    (The prior post was dated Mar 2021. Covid hindered?)

My Nameday is Aug 15.

Jurisdiction (likely not an Orthodox term) GOArch

Cradle Orthodox but raised among Baptists and Methodists, but +/- fully Orthodox

Married to a Roman Catholic. No kids. Retired.

The following are not for discussion here, but these are some interests. If there are threads related to any of these, then if it is within the rules, would appreciate a reference.
    1. Feel that US Orthodox need to move toward canonical unity. Set a goal date. (All the harumps, aside.) Exarchs can deal with ethnicities as needed. (Applies to Canada, Australia - anywhere where there are many Orthodox ethnicities.)
    2. Feel there is a need for outreach to Muslims, as the internet has not been kind to Muslim apologists. Orthodoxy should get "its share" of converts/apostates. Not talking proselytism, but rather information suited for a prospective convert from Islam.
    3. Feel that ethnic Orthodox in US were too quick to abandon or downplay traditions (small t) in the rush to be Americanized. To the extent some of these are present, they are not taught to converts or "less ethnic" ethnics. May sound remote but could expound in the right forum.
    4. Orthodox youth need more rather than less involvement in the Church communities, but it needs to be meaningful. Young people want to help (in any field) as long as it isn't busy work or is not appreciated.
    5. This may exist, but it should be useful to survey Orthodox converts and develop a program, on an inter-Orthodox basis, to help the transition into Orthodoxy, and to strengthen the prospects of attracting other converts. Again, not proselytism, but information and awareness enhancement to all Orthodox communities and to prospective converts.

I've omitted a controversial one (among Orthodox jurisdictions) - other than #1, above. :swoon:

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  19. Mary of Bethany

Mary of Bethany Only one thing is needful. Supporter

+1,003
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Welcome to TAW, cradleGO!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • List
  20. ArmyMatt