Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pray for a retirement in the US Supreme Court, Hopefully Ginsberg one more conservative and we can turn back the clock on "SAME Sex Marriage" and "Killing The Unborn"!

Indeed. Hard to imagine were are potentially one retirement away from being able to challenge RvW for the first time in many decades.

• Agree
Reactions: Truth7t7
Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I disagree. You actually know more about politicians than most everyday Joes.

Maybe, but I only know what I see through various forms of media. For good reasons, people behave differently in public than they do in private. So I'm not sure that what I see through public media is quality knowledge about any individual. Not to mention that even when information is relayed through media, even when the information is factual, it's often presented in such a way that puts a spin on those facts.

So people behave differently in public than in private, and when information is public that information is less reliable due to spin by the particular media relaying the information. This just doesn't seem like a good recipe for "knowing" someone.

What's with the cryptic accusations?

Is this directed to me? I don't know the guy, so I'm not accusing him of anything. I just have a degree of cautious skepticism with regards to politicians, Pence included. Pence may in fact be the genuinely good guy he appears to be in public, but I don't know. I have no way of verifying (not to mention the time required to know that sort of thing). I will at least give him credit for his public behavior as far as I have seen.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Maybe, but I only know what I see through various forms of media. For good reasons, people behave differently in public than they do in private. So I'm not sure that what I see through public media is quality knowledge about any individual. Not to mention that even when information is relayed through media, even when the information is factual, it's often presented in such a way that puts a spin on those facts.

So people behave differently in public than in private, and when information is public that information is less reliable due to spin by the particular media relaying the information. This just doesn't seem like a good recipe for "knowing" someone.

Is this directed to me? I don't know the guy, so I'm not accusing him of anything. I just have a degree of cautious skepticism with regards to politicians, Pence included. Pence may in fact be the genuinely good guy he appears to be in public, but I don't know. I have no way of verifying (not to mention the time required to know that sort of thing). I will at least give him credit for his public behavior as far as I have seen.

I think you might just be addicted to gossip. That's on you.

But media is ruthless toward politicians, especially those on the right and especially those claiming Christian values. So we know much more about Pence than you, for instance. And given the comments you've made here, I'm more impressed with Pence.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But media is ruthless toward politicians, especially those on the right and especially those claiming Christian values. So we know much more about Pence than you, for instance.

I don't see how this addresses what I said.

And given the comments you've made here, I'm more impressed with Pence.

Which comments? And congrats on being impressed.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do tell what gossip I'm addicted to.

You said, "Maybe, but I only know what I see through various forms of media. For good reasons, people behave differently in public than they do in private."

You're simply regurgitating gossip and counting it as wisdom.

I'm saying we are all sinners, and all fall short of the glory of God. Politicians are included in this but not in a special category of sinner. We're all in the same category and fight to fight that same tendencies. I am so far impressed with Mike Pence's character. You on the other hand I'm not so sure. You seem to feed on the tabloid gossip.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It's like a chess game.
The white hats chose Trump to run because he has no ties to the black hats.
The white King in this chess game is the US population.
They're the most important piece, but they move slowly, one step at a time, and they can't do much to defend themselves or strike opposition pieces.
Those who chose Trump to run now have a legal way to stop the communist / globalist coup that has been going on for years.
Liberals should be happy they will keep their liberties.
But they have been living in the MSM bubble for most of their lives.
As a consequence they have no idea about the evils of their former leaders.
You can be sure they will not be able to accept the truth. The King is slow, one step at a time.
Others have been aware of the problems and the seriousness of the problems for years, decades.
Many of them have been "suicided" or plainly killed for speaking out.

1992:

RIP Bill Cooper
He was shot dead on his porch in front of his wife and child.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I think this about sums it up.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think this about sums it up.

weirdalfoil_2322.jpg
Yeah, you indeed sum up the attitude of the brainwashed liberals.
Very good.
They have been taught to yell "stupid conspiracy theories!" when confronted with truth.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You said, "Maybe, but I only know what I see through various forms of media. For good reasons, people behave differently in public than they do in private."

I'm not sure how this is gossip. Do you believe saying "people behave differently in public than in private" is regurgitating gossip? I think behaving differently in public than in private is what most people do. And I bet the more eyeballs that are watching, the more different you behave than if you're around a few friends or in your own home. Maybe it's just the way I was raised though - I do recall my mother telling me to be on my best behavior when we went out.

Maybe Mike Pence really is the same person in public as in private, maybe his behavior and-the-like in those arenas are the same, I dunno. Maybe he gives lengthy speeches at home too and wears a suit and tie around his house, I dunno.

But even if I'm wrong, it hardly seems to be "gossip."

I've also made clear several times now that since I don't know the guy, he could be a legitimately good guy. He behaves well in public, presents a class act; he says a lot of things I like. I'm just cautiously skeptical of what I'm presented by way of camera and curated comments.

You're simply regurgitating gossip and counting it as wisdom.

What specific gossip have I regurgitated? You seem to think that skepticism of what I see in media is gossip. And that's a little strange, since if gossip is what's found in media, and I'm skeptical of what I see in media....well, you do the logic from there...if you're able.

You seem to feed on the tabloid gossip.

Do tell what tabloids I dabble in...

This is good stuff, please continue.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not sure how this is gossip. Do you believe saying "people behave differently in public than in private" is regurgitating gossip? ....

Yes, it's a very gossipy statement. You're using a generalization as a proof, and ignoring human nature that is intrinsic to all. It's a way of saying don't trust those people over there, hey watch out for those guys, and I don't think God calls us to be like that. I'm not judging you by the group you are in, but by specific actions and words. I think that's the kind of careful accurate judging God wants us to engage in. I think that's how we should judge Mike Pence and everyone else. It's along the lines of what Christ taught about removing your own log so you can see clearly.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yes, it's a very gossipy statement. You're using a generalization as a proof, and ignoring human nature that is intrinsic to all.

So it's intrinsic to everyone, and therefore I should act as if it's not? (Assuming the "it" here is the natural human response to incentives)

It's a way of saying don't trust those people over there, hey watch out for those guys, and I don't think God calls us to be like that.

Ok, then trust politicians based on their behavior that you see through TV, internet, or whatever. Disregard incentives, human nature, etc.. I won't stop you, but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

I'm not judging you by the group you are in, but by specific actions and words. I think that's the kind of careful accurate judging God wants us to engage in. I think that's how we should judge Mike Pence and everyone else. It's along the lines of what Christ taught about removing your own log so you can see clearly.

This is interesting since I wasn't judging anyone at all. I was saying that I don't have the required information, so therefore I am cautiously skeptical. You seem to think you know the guy and so throw prudence to the wind.

Upvote 0

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
So it's intrinsic to everyone, and therefore I should act as if it's not? (Assuming the "it" here is the natural human response to incentives)

Ok, then trust politicians based on their behavior that you see through TV, internet, or whatever. Disregard incentives, human nature, etc.. I won't stop you, but it sounds like a bad idea to me.

This is interesting since I wasn't judging anyone at all. I was saying that I don't have the required information, so therefore I am cautiously skeptical. You seem to think you know the guy and so throw prudence to the wind.

I wish you had said that, for that's what I'm encouraging you to do. Instead you're making blanket statements about all politicians, insinuating that a larger percentage of them are corrupt compared to other groups. I don't think God wants us doing this. You shouldn't try to cast doubt on someone just because of the group they are in. This was also done to Jesus.

John 1:46 And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”

Look at personal behavior. Look at the content of character rather than the color of skin (to borrow an iconic phrase).

The same principle applies in attitudes toward police officers. One bad officer can sour people on the entire force, but it's not fair nor righteous to do this. Respect all people initially, and judge them based on their personal behavior. That's all I'm saying.

Upvote 0

Yekcidmij

Presbyterian, Polymath
Feb 18, 2002
East Coast
✟232,356.00
Country
United States
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You shouldn't try to cast doubt on someone just because of the group they are in.

I'm not basing it on a group. I'm basing it on the fact that I don't have the requisite knowledge (and doubt you do either). I think I've made that fairly clear.

This was also done to Jesus.

John 1:46 And Nathanael said to him, “Can anything good come out of Nazareth?”

Yea, I'm not talking about Nazareth or Jesus. I think a better equivalent would be if I said, "can anything good come out of Columbus, Indiana?" But I said no such thing.

Look at personal behavior. Look at the content of character rather than the color of skin (to borrow an iconic phrase).

(a) How can I look at personal behavior when I don't know the guy.
(b) This has nothing to do with his race.

The same principle applies in attitudes toward police officers. One bad officer can sour people on the entire force, but it's not fair nor righteous to do this. Respect all people initially, and judge them based on their personal behavior. That's all I'm saying.

Why do you think I don't respect him? I respect the Office of Vice President just as I do law enforcement. Respect is different from critical thinking. I can think critically and be cautious and a little skeptical about what's being presented in public through media while still respecting the office. I don't have to abandon prudence to have respect.

As far as judgment goes, how could I make a good judgment based on someone I only "know" through [curated] public appearances that are mediated through further curated TV, articles, etc..? Based on what is put out in public, I think I can more readily judge policies, but not persons.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Calminian

Senior Veteran
Feb 14, 2005
Low Dessert
✟49,695.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm not basing it on a group. I'm basing it on the fact that I don't have the requisite knowledge (and doubt you do either). I think I've made that fairly clear......

I disagree. You've clearly gone after politicians, and I'm merely defending them as not being any better or worse than any other group.

Upvote 0