• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Methamphetamine and Christmas

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
I realize that this in not the usual Christmas type of thread. I also realize that I talk more 'smack' than serious here. That said, please bare with me on this issue.

In the last 24 hours, I processed two methamphetamine labs in my area. Our area is pretty thick with these little laboratories, so that in itself is not uncommon. These are not the big labs you see on TV from Mexico or the Southwest US making pounds of meth for sale. These are little labs, making a few grams methamphetamine at a time, that feed the addiction of the 'cook'.

But with Christmas coming, it did spur me to write this bit of a warning to my internet friends. What methamphetamine does to a person is incredible. It destroys the user from the inside out. From open sores and weight loss to the paranoia and hyper sexualization, the user just decays, morally as well as physically. These people are tormented beyond comprehension. We almost always find both religious items as well as inappropriate contentography and phalluses. Seldom do we see a well stocked kitchen or washed dishes or folded clothes.

If you have someone in your life, or you yourself, use this drug, get help. You will not likely break the addiction yourself. Methamphetamine has about a 90% first use addiction rate and 6% long term recovery rate. (I am sure someone will want to argue these data, KMA) Hate the drug, not the addict. Do everything you can to get between the drug and the person you love. If you think someone you love is using, find out and stop them. If you have kids, make sure they do not.

I know of two families here who's loved ones will spend Christmas in jail awaiting trial for class A felonies. Please take this in the spirit it is intended and love your family. I have seen what this drug does to people.

Don

Antigone

The Wrath of Whatever
Apr 20, 2006
De Boendoks
✟33,025.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
You're so right, Don. I have a cousin who's a hard-drug addict. He's gone off of it several times, with professional help, but he keeps coming back to it. He's not a bad person, but the things those drugs make him say and do to the people he loves are beyond comprehension.

Upvote 0

Globalnomad

Senior Veteran
Apr 2, 2005
Change countries every three years
✟16,257.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Oh Don, thanks for sharing this. As you say, it's really not your usual Christmas thread, but it's SO part of life.... I managed to get my son away from a heavy marijuana addiction a year ago, just before he would have started branching off into other stuff, so reading the kind of thing you wrote still sends shivers down my spine.

Prayers are needed, but also some determined, tough work. And cops like you, who care.

Bless you for caring and sympathizing

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟442,598.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know of this one officer who prays before making a bust because the little 'labs' can explode.

:hug: Be safe hon.

Yes, scary stuff this is.
And drugs can decay ppl more than anything else.
Herione is right up there with super addictive and hard to get away from.
Something about an immediate change of the brain chemicals that cause a life long need for it ever after.

Upvote 0

Romans 13:3

Jun 6, 2007
This side of heaven
✟112,649.00
Faith
Catholic
I know of this one officer who prays before making a bust because the little 'labs' can explode.

:hug: Be safe hon.

Yes, scary stuff this is.
And drugs can decay ppl more than anything else.
Herione is right up there with super addictive and hard to get away from.
Something about an immediate change of the brain chemicals that cause a life long need for it ever after.
Heroine is consider to be, or at least one of, the drugs with an extremely high first use addiction rate...>90%. That means a first time user will experience withdraw symptoms. As for hardest drug to escape, that appears to be nicotine.

Upvote 0
S

_Shannon_

This is something I actually worry about for my kiddos so much. I am not a worrier at all- but meth scares me- it's cheap, it's everwhere, and you pretty much never get free from it. One cave to peer pressure could destroy their lives-forever.

I really wish that they had an in jail program, where I could take the kids as they become tweeners and inmates would talk to them about drugs (since basically everything is drug related) and about the realities of their lives.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,680,111.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I realize that this in not the usual Christmas type of thread. I also realize that I talk more 'smack' than serious here. That said, please bare with me on this issue.

In the last 24 hours, I processed two methamphetamine labs in my area. Our area is pretty thick with these little laboratories, so that in itself is not uncommon. These are not the big labs you see on TV from Mexico or the Southwest US making pounds of meth for sale. These are little labs, making a few grams methamphetamine at a time, that feed the addiction of the 'cook'.

But with Christmas coming, it did spur me to write this bit of a warning to my internet friends. What methamphetamine does to a person is incredible. It destroys the user from the inside out. From open sores and weight loss to the paranoia and hyper sexualization, the user just decays, morally as well as physically. These people are tormented beyond comprehension. We almost always find both religious items as well as inappropriate contentography and phalluses. Seldom do we see a well stocked kitchen or washed dishes or folded clothes.

If you have someone in your life, or you yourself, use this drug, get help. You will not likely break the addiction yourself. Methamphetamine has about a 90% first use addiction rate and 6% long term recovery rate. (I am sure someone will want to argue these data, KMA) Hate the drug, not the addict. Do everything you can to get between the drug and the person you love. If you think someone you love is using, find out and stop them. If you have kids, make sure they do not.

I know of two families here who's loved ones will spend Christmas in jail awaiting trial for class A felonies. Please take this in the spirit it is intended and love your family. I have seen what this drug does to people.

Don
:thumbsup:

My Mom's sister was addicted to the stuff. Maybe still I don't know. Some of the things she pulled was unbelievable. She lost her kids, etc.

She did some time in prison. She's out now with a fellow cellmate. They fell in love. Off in TN. somewhere.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've seen...and experienced...the lure of drugs. I've never understood though, the lure of addiction, the lure of poison. Meth is poison. Don is absolutely right. My own husband, who has been a narcotics officer for more than 15 years, views the meth addict with a great deal of pity...when normally he would have none for users or dealers. Especially dealers.Thankfully meth doesn't have much presence in our area. In Georgia...especially in the rural areas around Atlanta where we used to live...it is reaching epidemic proportions. Truly frightening.

I will echo Don and say love your family...hold them close. And pray for those that have none or who have turned from their families because of crippling addictions. Pray they seek help, and find it.

Peace be with you!

Sandy

Upvote 0

Miss Shelby

Legend
Feb 10, 2002
✟88,282.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I've never understood though, the lure of addiction, the lure of poison.
There's no lure towards addiction. There's a lure to the good feeling and the temporary escape, and it becomes an addiction without the person realizing it. It is avery sad thing, and it's probably the reason your husband can find compassion in his heart for them.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There's no lure towards addiction. There's a lure to the good feeling and the temporary escape, and it becomes an addiction without the person realizing it. It is avery sad thing, and it's probably the reason your husband can find compassion in his heart for them.

Oh, no, I understand a slow slide into addiction...or at least I understand it better than the person who would go for the extreme when they have to have an idea of the risk they are taking. Maybe that's even sadder...that people can be so desperate to escape their reality that they don't care about the risk. :( It's hurts like that that make me want to bundle people up and bring them home.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Oh, no, I understand a slow slide into addiction...or at least I understand it better than the person who would go for the extreme when they have to have an idea of the risk they are taking. Maybe that's even sadder...that people can be so desperate to escape their reality that they don't care about the risk. :( It's hurts like that that make me want to bundle people up and bring them home.
The problem with that is the fact they would steal your silver and have relation on the kitchen counter.

Upvote 0

Epiphanygirl

Don't De-Rock Me
Oct 6, 2004
Behind you :)
✟11,873.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
God Bless you Don.....your post hits me so very hard:cry: .....It's one of the reasons I haven't been able to post as much here as I used to. My niece had a VERY bad addiction problem with meth.....we took her in this past Feb.....she's been clean ever since...Praise God!:crossrc: It's been a long road for all of us....but we watched her grow not only spiritually, but little by little helped her put her life back together. I would ask for all your prayers at this time.

Upvote 0

Ave Maria

Ave Maria Gratia Plena
May 31, 2004
Diocese of Evansville, IN
✟108,671.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I just can't imagine a conversation that goes:

What we are gonna do is take some cold medicine, some fertilizer, some lye, paint thinner and inside of a battery and mix it together. You gotta try this, its great.

I just don't get it.
I can't imagine it either. I have never touched an illegal drug in my life and don't plan to either.

Upvote 0