Metaphoric, literal, or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Truthstriker

Is the bible supposed to be thought of as metaphoric or literal? Like for example. In the bible it says that God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Would this looked at as literal or it is really just a metaphor explaining the power of god or something like that? I have always wondered about this but was not sure how to ask.

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is the bible supposed to be thought of as metaphoric or literal? Like for example. In the bible it says that God created the earth in 6 days and rested on the 7th. Would this looked at as literal or it is really just a metaphor explaining the power of god or something like that? I have always wondered about this but was not sure how to ask.
The answer, i believe, is that the Bible is both metaphoric and literal. The important thing to keep in mind is that both metaphoric and literal truth are TRUE as Spiritual teachings--in otherwords, in the only sense that matters. Therefore, the attempt to separate the literal from the metaphoric in the Bible is a waste of time--because it doesn't matter in the least, given that Truth is Truth.

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

P.S. What in the world is a "born again humanist"?

Upvote 0

Ikuis

Truth is not negotiable
Nov 12, 2008
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A very good question, Truthstriker. You will find some people hold every word of the bible as literal, whilst others conservatively hold some parts to be metaphorical, and yet others that liberally hold that Christ himself is only symbolical! Not much help, huh? :)

I think there are some things, such as the Creation, that can be taken either literally or metaphorically without creating any conflict within the core thread of the biblical message. Personally, I take the Creation story as a metaphorical picture of the actual Creation. If one considers the literacy of folk in those early times when these stories were formed, then one can imagine that verbal transmission through the generations would be far more effective and resistant to change in the form of metaphors, etc.

Indeed, Jesus himself used parables for effectively conveying his teachings in forms that are easy to understand - and even easier to remember - such as the parables of seeds falling on various types of earth. These parables are not literal, but carry the identical message to the actual Truth underlying them.

Symbology is another form of speaking truths in pictures. For example, Jesus is often portrayed as a lamb, but he was not actually such an animal literally!

One could find this daunting and confusing, but, on the other hand, one could consider this an inviting, exciting journey in faith, seeking out the Truth behind the various stories, parables and metaphors. Afterall, the core requisite is faith, not understanding. Understanding is a journey through the landscape of faith. Enjoy it! :)

I agree with

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
A very good question, Truthstriker. You will find some people hold every word of the bible as literal, whilst others conservatively hold some parts to be metaphorical, and yet others that liberally hold that Christ himself is only symbolical! Not much help, huh? :)

I think there are some things, such as the Creation, that can be taken either literally or metaphorically without creating any conflict within the core thread of the biblical message. Personally, I take the Creation story as a metaphorical picture of the actual Creation. If one considers the literacy of folk in those early times when these stories were formed, then one can imagine that verbal transmission through the generations would be far more effective and resistant to change in the form of metaphors, etc.

Indeed, Jesus himself used parables for effectively conveying his teachings in forms that are easy to understand - and even easier to remember - such as the parables of seeds falling on various types of earth. These parables are not literal, but carry the identical message to the actual Truth underlying them.

Symbology is another form of speaking truths in pictures. For example, Jesus is often portrayed as a lamb, but he was not actually such an animal literally!

One could find this daunting and confusing, but, on the other hand, one could consider this an inviting, exciting journey in faith, seeking out the Truth behind the various stories, parables and metaphors. Afterall, the core requisite is faith, not understanding. Understanding is a journey through the landscape of faith. Enjoy it! :)

I agree with

AMEN!

Excellent response!

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Another way of saying what these guys are saying above me is that...

Where Genesis does contain history it is not a history book.
The first five books of the Bible were originally written in Hebrew Poetic fashion.
This poetry of course doesn't translate into English...but it is prose.

There are truths there that can be discerned though if you wish to even though we can't see the poetry or understand all of the customs of that day and age. And understanding these truths is key to having a relationship with God.

Have fun!

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The metaphor of Jesus as the Lamb is about a celebration where God "passed over" and didn't destroy the Israelites when destroying sinners. The chief centerpiece about this celebration was/is the Lamb that they would eat/consume/take internally.
This in turn is an opposing symbol of when Adam and Eve ate the wrong fruit from the tree in the Garden in Eden.

Upvote 0

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Moses wrote the first five books of the Bible as God told it to him. The whole thing, as these have been saying, is full of metaphors, symbols, and similies. There very likely was a literal Adam and Eve.

Eden is an area that was described as the area over in the Middle East as the Fertile Crescent. This area begins down where the Tigris and Euphrates river meet the Ocean following these two rivers north and west and then down again to the area known as the wadi of Egypt. This area was said to be Eden (before the flood) The garden was thought and stylized to be Israel with the area of Jerusalem (particularly the Temple Mount) as the Tree of Lives. Again...there is a lot of symbolism in all of this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JohnDB

May 16, 2007
nashville
✟53,921.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
God however was there. It was he who made the universe...and where He didn't tell Moses how He did it...He did tell Moses particulars that mattered to those people at that time. And in the telling revealed to us some truths that we need to know in order to have life at peace with God.

And you are welcome!
Anytime you have questions feel free to ask or PM me.

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see, however how do we even have records of Adam and Eve when if they were the first humans on earth, there was no way to record their lifes :). And also where is the garden of eden?
There are only two Biblical questions that really matter.

#1. Who is Jesus?

Answer: The Son of God and Savior of the World.

#2. What are you going to do in the face of this knowledge?

Answer: . . . .

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
There are only 2 questions that really really matter.
1. Why did you not answer my question.
Answer: You don't know.
2. when are you going to answer my questions instead of making even more questions.
Actually, my belief is that life is too short to waste time playing Bible Trivia.

The Bible was written to lead us to Christ.

So why not cut to the chase? Were you to just focus on our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ 24/7 for the rest of your life, you would only be able to scratch the surface of Who He is and what He has done for you.

Why waste precious time playing games?

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How was the bible written to lead us to Jesus. Stop making statements and explain yourself.
What part of "The Bible was written to lead us to Christ" isn't clear to you?

Perhaps if you took the time to actually read the Bible the fuzzy stuff would jump into focus for you.

HINT--TRUTH is to be accepted, not struck.

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

ephraimanesti

Senior Veteran
Nov 22, 2005
Seattle, WA
✟23,171.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Once again YOU ARE NOT EXPLAINING YOURSELF. Your holybook was writen 400 years after christ's death. They are simple making up stuff to make people have something to look forward after they die.
Actually, the last Book of the Bible to be written--Revelations--was written approximately 96 A.D., approximately 60 years after Christ's Resurrection.

Given your viewpoint expressed above and your drive to strike Truth at every opportunity, what exactly is it that you are "struggling" with--besides looking for things to argue about--which drives you to post in a Forum geared to "offer support to non-Christians"? What kind of support are you looking for?

A BOND-SLAVE OF CHRIST,
ephraim

Upvote 0

Ikuis

Truth is not negotiable
Nov 12, 2008
✟15,159.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Once again YOU ARE NOT EXPLAINING YOURSELF. Your holybook was writen 400 years after christ's death. They are simple making up stuff to make people have something to look forward after they die.
I think what you are referring to here is the meeting that officially agreed on what writings/letters, out of the many thousands circulating at that time, were authentic and could be joined together to form the bible. Even today, the canon of the bible differs between some denominations.

Naturally, the books of the OT were written before Christ, the oldest even some thousands of years before. The NT books were written in the 1st century after Christ.

What we mean by the bible leads us to Christ is that the OT books contain prophecy that are fulfilled by Christ.

We do not know whether Adam and Eve were real or whether these were their real names. Even the bible points to there being other beings on the earth at that time. We cannot say whether this is a literal story or a pictorial myth portraying how God placed his spirit within humans and the conflict between right and wrong that we humans alone wrestle with.

In the same fashion, you could argue how could Da Vinci paint the Lord's Supper if he was not actually there. But does it mean that the Supper did not take place simply because the details and characters in the painting are from his imagination?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Actually, the last Book of the Bible to be written--Revelations--was written approximately 96 A.D., approximately 60 years after Christ's Resurrection.

If not earlier.

The oldest known manuscript fragment (part of the Gospel of John) dates from about 140 A.D.

Early Christian writers like Ignatius of Antioch (writing in 107 A.D.) quote the New Testament.

The New Testament was certainly written before 100 A.D., though disagreement on which of the smaller books to include and which to exclude lasted to 367 A.D.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.