Messianic Judaism?

yedida

Ruth Messianic, joining Israel, Na'aseh v'nishma!
Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
staff edit

That's exactly what you said. I'll say it once again, even though I'm just a woman. God set forth His word, His standard, and His promises in the Tanakh. If you think that the NT/Apostolic Writings contradict the Tanakh, then your understanding of it is wrong. God will not contradict Himself. And if you think that He would, or that He would simply change things up all of a sudden, what kind of God is that? Not one to be trusted, at least not by me. (Note, that I didn't say He could not do, of course He could/can - but He won't because He promised that He wouldn't and He is faithful to keep all of His promises.)

It also appears that you have not availed yourself of the SoP as I suggested. So, once again, I'll repeat myself. Please review our SoP before you post further, you are posting anti-Torah and that is against CF rules in this forum. Thank you.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,748,476.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include this:

Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts
Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in Unorthodox Theology.

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.

It is not okay to post against MJ beliefs. Please follow the site rules.

Upvote 0
A

aniello

MOD HAT

This thread has undergone a clean up. As a reminder, the site rules include this:
Congregational Forum Restrictions, Christian Only Forums, and Off-Topic posts

Do not teach or debate in any Congregational Forum unless you are truly a member and share its core beliefs and teachings. Questions and fellowship are allowed, proselytizing is not.

Do not post in the forums reserved for Christians only, unless you are truly a Nicene Creed, Trinitarian Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox doctrines, you may do so in Unorthodox Theology.

Respect and become familiar with each forum's Statement of Purpose. Start threads that are relevant to that forum's stated purpose; submit replies that are relevant to the topic of discussion. Off Topic posts will be moved or removed.​

It is not okay to post against MJ beliefs. Please follow the site rules.

Change the rules. Make an exception. You could learn something important. You won't ever hear what you heard from me in this life. Remember this.

NCT,

May I suggest that our dear sister, whom you quoted in part, is, indeed, a Moderator.

The Moderators are the ones you could try to pursue the rules issue with, as I understand such.

If you feel froggy, jump.

I think your chances of changing the rules are nil however.

As far as Calvinism goes, it has been the basis for groups to persecute both sides of my family for hundreds of years. On this continent(North America) that persecution has, and is, called genocide. Pequot War, etc. No sale!!!!!!!!!!!!! May dad was Lakota, I am half with roll number. My Mom was a Jewess, I am a Jew, by G-d's Grace.

Upvote 0

Temptinfates

Mar 5, 2010
Cartersville, Georgia
✟15,738.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
I'll say it once again, even though I'm just a woman[/COLOR]..

I have a small issue with that, Yedida. I would never think of you as "just" a woman. I hope you think more of yourself than "just" anything-----although, I hope you strive to be Just. As a fellow joint-heir in the world to come, I will be happy to have known you and read many of your posts.
Temptinfates

Upvote 0
A

aniello

And they say Poofs never Poof in the same place twice. Mayhap there'll be thrice?

As frogs say: "Times fun when you're having flies".

Yes Yedida the kidlets are having a ball, they got to ride a couple of my neighbor's horsies. We have introduced them to cows, goats and sheep, chickens, ducks and assorted. No pigs here though. Well, occasionally my wife says I'm a p.........oh, never mind.

If air connections work out of NYC tomorrow late I am expecting my 3rd grandson and my grand d.i.l. in with my first great grandson on Thurs. He(grandson) is a physician with IDF in Be'er Sheva-Arad area in The Land. It will be only the 2nd time I have seen and been able to hold the wee lad. He's about a year and a half old now, I think. Too many kids to keep track of. Love 'em all though. Zayde(or tunkasila in Lakota)(me) is ready for his heart nap now. Whew! Was I ever young once?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
I have a small issue with that, Yedida. I would never think of you as "just" a woman. I hope you think more of yourself than "just" anything-----although, I hope you strive to be Just. As a fellow joint-heir in the world to come, I will be happy to have known you and read many of your posts.
Temptinfates

Thank you for your kind words of encouragement!

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
And they say Poofs never Poof in the same place twice. Mayhap there'll be thrice?

As frogs say: "Times fun when you're having flies".

Yes Yedida the kidlets are having a ball, they got to ride a couple of my neighbor's horsies. We have introduced them to cows, goats and sheep, chickens, ducks and assorted. No pigs here though. Well, occasionally my wife says I'm a p.........oh, never mind.

If air connections work out of NYC tomorrow late I am expecting my 3rd grandson and my grand d.i.l. in with my first great grandson on Thurs. He(grandson) is a physician with IDF in Be'er Sheva-Arad area in The Land. It will be only the 2nd time I have seen and been able to hold the wee lad. He's about a year and a half old now, I think. Too many kids to keep track of. Love 'em all though. Zayde(or tunkasila in Lakota)(me) is ready for his heart nap now. Whew! Was I ever young once?

Well maybe it'll take a third poof? lol

Glad to hear it was a good day for all. I sure pray things work out to get your great-grandson out to you tomorrow. Here in the Cleveland Oh area we're being "threatened" by the weatherman with another snow-storm, 6-10 inches beginning late tomorrow afternoon - and they're usually pretty accurate (arrrgggh!!).

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟137,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hi William, Yedida, Old Man with the Deliciously bad Attitude, ;)

This is my first post here in months. Probably my last for a while too. I have tried to think of a nice way to put this. I failed. Having just read the first page of posts of this thread, I got a little sick. A newbie was voicing interest in Messianic Judaism. Poor schmuck. He got interrogated, evaluated, pigeon-holed and blind-sided faster than you can say basura infeccioso. Perhaps that might be a better name for this sub-forum.

The best I read from the local 'talking heads' (you know who I mean) when asked by a newbie about MJism - was a bunch of toxic waste. Y'know, discussion of whether the early church 'fathers' were anti-Semite, what 'rituals' were relevant, etc.

In the days after the Master ascended, Gentiles and Jews were taxed to poverty by the Romans for their observance of Torah. This is documented. That didn't work. Later, Torah observance was outlawed under penalty of death. Those that would not submit were turned into pitch-smeared torches at garden parties where the participants celebrated the precepts of Bacchus and Mithras at the winter solstice. This too is documented.

Oh, let's not forget the mention of Orthodoxy. They discussed Orthodoxy! Orthodox? You mean 'Right Thinking'? People that call themselves 'Right Thinking' kinda says it all, don't you think? Please pass the Pepto-Bismol. There was only one man in the entirety of time that was 'Right Thinking'. The full expanse of man's traditions and rituals are crap. How's that for 'Right Thinking'?

There is no such thing as religious ritual. It is illusion all. The pursuit of Yah is deception. He pursues you. Receive Him and His Word. The exercise of ritual observance is like hiring a personal trainer to do your workout for you. You must engage with your eyes and ears open and a heart that is willing to submit to no one but Him.

All in all, there is only the instruction of Yah on exactly how to get ourselves out of the horrible mess we are in; line upon line, precept upon precept, remember? Rituals? Really? His Messiah, who walked His path perfectly (Torah), taught nothing any different; only how to do it correctly and in love. What rituals did He teach? I find this place so ________. Fill in the blank. There will not be a poll.

I see a lot of old friends here. That feels good. I have read some pleasant discussion between you too. But I can't stand the deception that abounds here. Many of those that were anti-Torah before are now poised to simply pollute honest inquiries with deception and misdirection. Sorry I can't stay. My wife is ill and needs me. But I'm gonna go take a shower before I return to her. I always feel a little unclean when I see what passes for instruction in MJism in this place. Beware the many ticks.

Shalom.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I'm in the dark. Can someone provide a history on this faith and how it relates to ancient christianity. Also, how do Gentiles follow this religion and do I need to follow The Law as a gentile if I join? I mean, what do you guys believe and follow and do other than believing that Jesus is your Lord and Savior? How do you view salvation in Jesus, if you do...believe.
In the event you have time and are interested, one good read on the issue that may help you in your journey is In the Shadow of the Temple: Jewish Influences on Early Christianity. For more, one can go here (as well as here, where there was more in-depth discussion on the subject in #103 ).

The book does a wonderful/masterful job going through review historically of what Jewish believers in early Judaism felt on the Messiah, the ways they handled themselves in the Diaspora and how they compared with others who lived in Jerusalem. It also handles masterfully the ways that Gentiles also developed - be it God Fearers or others who came to know of the Messiah through the missionary efforts of Jewish believers in the Lord.....and shows the ways that both Gentiles/Jews were both persecuted for their faith from all sides.

Will definately help you in dealing with sorting through a lot of the mess that often gets passed in the name of Messianic Judaism - as well as recognizing that which Jewish believers have always held to within a Judaic lifestyle...as it's all too easy to have a lot of mess get stepped into by folks who rarely deal with what Jewish believers live out. Other Messianics have noted the issue before, some who have stayed - whereas others have left due to feeling there wasn't really a lot of discussion from a Jewish perspective..and of course, there's always others on the fringes who end up replicating some of the same issues Jewish believers had to sharply condemn amongst their own circles when talking on their own views of what it meant to walk according to the Torah.

Ultimately, it's always an adventure.

Wishing ya the best :):thumbsup:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A

aniello

Hey Aniello,

Poof...

Hi Talmidim, it's good to see you. Be here more often, ok?

Read your earlier post, have to agree. Lotta rancid stuff here. Certain folks here have unresolved power issues, so it comes across. Would say more but if I did I'd probably get "poof"ed. Wouldn't matter really, this ain't a safe place for a Jewish believer who refuses to go much past Acts 2 in basic soteriological beliefs. Pero, asi es la vida en el loquero. Perhaps I'll wander over to see the M.D. someday.

Wife and I praying for your wife , you and yours.

Ciaou frati mio:). Sempre Avanti con Dio.

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship

Read your earlier post, have to agree. Lotta rancid stuff here. Certain folks here have unresolved power issues, so it comes across. Would say more but if I did I'd probably get "poof"ed. Wouldn't matter really, this ain't a safe place for a Jewish believer who refuses to go much past Acts 2 in basic soteriological beliefs. Pero, asi es la vida en el loquero. Perhaps I'll wander over to see the M.D. someday.

:wave: Hey, I'm just a gentile woman but I don't go much past chapter 2 either. I will peek past it sometimes. Sometimes commentary can be helpful. :hug:

Upvote 0

ContraMundum

Messianic Jewish Christian
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2005
Visit site
✟78,078.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi William, Yedida, Old Man with the Deliciously bad Attitude, ;)

This is my first post here in months. Probably my last for a while too. I have tried to think of a nice way to put this. I failed. Having just read the first page of posts of this thread, I got a little sick. A newbie was voicing interest in Messianic Judaism. Poor schmuck. He got interrogated, evaluated, pigeon-holed and blind-sided faster than you can say basura infeccioso. Perhaps that might be a better name for this sub-forum.

The best I read from the local 'talking heads' (you know who I mean) when asked by a newbie about MJism - was a bunch of toxic waste. Y'know, discussion of whether the early church 'fathers' were anti-Semite, what 'rituals' were relevant, etc.

In the days after the Master ascended, Gentiles and Jews were taxed to poverty by the Romans for their observance of Torah. This is documented. That didn't work. Later, Torah observance was outlawed under penalty of death. Those that would not submit were turned into pitch-smeared torches at garden parties where the participants celebrated the precepts of Bacchus and Mithras at the winter solstice. This too is documented.

Oh, let's not forget the mention of Orthodoxy. They discussed Orthodoxy! Orthodox? You mean 'Right Thinking'? People that call themselves 'Right Thinking' kinda says it all, don't you think? Please pass the Pepto-Bismol. There was only one man in the entirety of time that was 'Right Thinking'. The full expanse of man's traditions and rituals are crap. How's that for 'Right Thinking'?

There is no such thing as religious ritual. It is illusion all. The pursuit of Yah is deception. He pursues you. Receive Him and His Word. The exercise of ritual observance is like hiring a personal trainer to do your workout for you. You must engage with your eyes and ears open and a heart that is willing to submit to no one but Him.

All in all, there is only the instruction of Yah on exactly how to get ourselves out of the horrible mess we are in; line upon line, precept upon precept, remember? Rituals? Really? His Messiah, who walked His path perfectly (Torah), taught nothing any different; only how to do it correctly and in love. What rituals did He teach? I find this place so ________. Fill in the blank. There will not be a poll.

I see a lot of old friends here. That feels good. I have read some pleasant discussion between you too. But I can't stand the deception that abounds here. Many of those that were anti-Torah before are now poised to simply pollute honest inquiries with deception and misdirection. Sorry I can't stay. My wife is ill and needs me. But I'm gonna go take a shower before I return to her. I always feel a little unclean when I see what passes for instruction in MJism in this place. Beware the many ticks.

Shalom.

Somehow I read this and get the impression that this kind of response is not the answer either.

I feel like this could have been my response....to this post! LOL You just gotta laugh sometimes, I suppose.

No one is perfect. Best to just try to get along, I think Talmidim. It's all a bit too serious here lately, I also think. It's just the internet....nothing more.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Norbert L

Site Supporter
Mar 1, 2009
✟560,360.00
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Can someone provide a history on this faith and how it relates to ancient christianity.

I don't know anything :(

Sometimes when you don't start a project right from the start, then it will probably not end up where it should be. How should a person look at the evolving of the Christian faith?

I like history and my impression of the atmosphere the earliest church found themselves in is along this line.

To put it bluntly, Jews as a whole (doesn't matter what sect) were seen as a culture that allowed their own kind of Al-Queda. Hence the general gentile Roman who enjoyed the peace looked at Jews as a bunch of troublemakers allowing for warmongers to disturb their nice lifestyle.

In my view from that premise, it is possible to gain some insight why Christianity and its' historical records developed as it did. Explains a lot when concidering Marcion's actions ripping out pages of the NT too. Why MJ exists today is a little more complicated.

Personally I know a lot of things, but trying to piece that together in understanding is not exactly easy.

Upvote 0

Yahudim

Y'shua HaMoshiach Messianic
Site Supporter
Sep 30, 2004
Deep in the Heart of Texas
✟137,480.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Shabbat Shalom old friend,

Thank you for your prayers. They are well received and efficacious.

You and I see thing much in the same light, save that I think the rest of Acts is valid but much misinterpreted. As I was explaining to another brother from a different mother recently, it is just as likely that Luke was a blood-born Jew from the rather large Jewish community in Antioch than a Gentile or Proselyte. It is just as likely that he wrote in classical Greek because of his formal education. I think he was likely fluent in both Greek and Hebrew (and Aramaic and and). You don't happen to know anyone that grew up with a foot in two different worlds do you? ;) Well, I think that Luke was likely the same and a whole lot deeper and more complex an individual than our 'Greek scholars' give him credit for being. Know anyone like that?

This is what I wrote elsewhere:
As to the matter of Luke being a Gentile, a Proselyte (translated in the Septuagint as 'stranger' in English) or a Jew; this is far from a settled matter. But I have a hard time believing that a Gentile or a Proselyte knew so much about the matters of the Sadducees (the Aaronic priests) that many believe his book was an indictment leveled at them as a group. I'm just sayin'...

There was a long established Jewish community in Antioch at that time. I have no problem believing that Luke was a natural Greek speaking Jew with a higher education (have you met Luke, my son the doctor?). that certainly isn't beyond the bounds of logic or the historical record. But I digress. Let me see if I can connect the dots so that you can see where I am coming from.

Many believe that the first portion of the Book of Luke was a Messianic account addressed to Theophilus (son of Annas and brother-in-law of Caiaphas), the Cohen Gadol in Jerusalem from 37-41. There were six total of this group of direct descendants and in-laws that kept the control of the priestly service 'in the family' for many years. You have probably heard this theory before, being involved in the Messianic movement for so long. One story goes that 'Lazarus and the Rich Man' (and the Rich Man's 5 'brothers' that still lived), was a parable and a prophecy by the Master, about the family that continuously controlled the High Priest 'concession' awarded by Rome. Re-read Luke 16:19-31 with this in mind and tell me what you think, OK? Perhaps Luke was trying to convince the 'Zadokim' that there was more to the spirit world and the resurrection that they were wiling to publicly concede.

If Luke was a 'stranger' as you surmise, he risked much by chastening the Cohen Gadol in a written document; a letter that was obviously circulated publicly at one point. But as a Jew with a pedigree and a claim in the land, his rights were different under Torah (at least the way they interpreted it). Something to consider, but that isn't all. Luke's bona fides as a blood-born Jew and advocate of a resurrected Messiah would certainly seem less treasonous to the Cohen Gadol. Luke would just be another Pharisee disciple of Y'shua ben Yoseph.

But, consider what Luke proposed in the first few stories. He confirmed the widely held, miraculous conception of a well known prophet by a Zadokim (Sadducee). He then went on to link the conception of the Messiah to this account, making Y'shua not only a 'Son of David' but son of the daughter of a Cohen too. He prominently mentions that this occurred in the 6th month (of Elishabeth's pregnancy as some suppose, but also of the months of the Moed; in the traditional seasons of observance and the Appointed times of Yah) and concluding with Mariam being pregnant by the time she went to stay with her cousin. [This would have been in the 7th month if my supposition bear out...]

If blood-born Jew and an educated, natural Greek speaking Asian truly was Luke's pedigree, background and perspective, it makes his account of Zacharius and Elishabeth, the annunciation of the Messiah in the '6th month' (or season of teshuvah), and the prospect of the conception of the Messiah on Yom Teruah compelling. This too especially after going on later to relate a prophecy about the potential damnation of Theophilus and his brethren in such close proximity and relation to the birth account of Yochanon (a Cohen prophet), the Annunciation and conception of the Messiah and the verifiable account of an actual resurrection of the dead (Lazurus, as both births and deaths were reported to and recorded by the Temple priests).
I didn't want to post this here, but since I did, would you mind singing the chorus to 'Send in the Clowns" for me? Thanks.

Anyway, I think Luke has been misinterpreted almost as badly as Paul and mostly for the same cause; they mistook his frame of reference. BTW, does this remind you of anyone? :D

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Site Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
No one is perfect..
Ain't that the truth;):thumbsup: There are no perfect people - and sadly, too many see perfection in themselves and the worst in everyone disagreeing with them..although what often happens conversely is others see the worst in themselves (even when it's not bad) and the best in all others. Similar to how many men and women relate

men-vs-women-mirror-jokes.jpg

It's just the internet....nothing more
It's all about what you make it. And there are moments you just have to laugh at how much effort people can put into things that were never that deep or serious to begin with. I imagine the Lord chuckles at some of the conversations that occur and how serious people can take themselves more than we think - just as fathers look on their sons fighting over issues and wonder "Really, guys?":)

It's so easy for folks to cry "FOUL!!!" over things which can really be trivial disagreements and that the Lord is crying "Chill..."And sadly, because people do not truly study the way believers in the early Body of Believers handled themselves and what they considered to be important - be it in the Book of Acts or the Epistles or the Gospels with Yeshua - it's no surprise we miss so much of what the Lord wanted us to hold to. Something many Messianic Jews have been trying to point out for a long time when it comes to seeing what's central..

Romans 14:17
For the kingdom of God is not a matter of eating and drinking, but of righteousness, peace and joy in the Holy Spirit,
Romans 14:16-18

Upvote 0

yedida

Oct 6, 2010
Elyria, OH
✟25,205.00
Faith
Marital Status
In Relationship
Sometimes when you don't start a project right from the start, then it will probably not end up where it should be. How should a person look at the evolving of the Christian faith?

I like history and my impression of the atmosphere the earliest church found themselves in is along this line.

To put it bluntly, Jews as a whole (doesn't matter what sect) were seen as a culture that allowed their own kind of Al-Queda. Hence the general gentile Roman who enjoyed the peace looked at Jews as a bunch of troublemakers allowing for warmongers to disturb their nice lifestyle.

In my view from that premise, it is possible to gain some insight why Christianity and its' historical records developed as it did. Explains a lot when concidering Marcion's actions ripping out pages of the NT too. Why MJ exists today is a little more complicated.

Personally I know a lot of things, but trying to piece that together in understanding is not exactly easy.

I'll put it simply (will probably get me banned from here forever, but here goes...) the jeeezus chariyst that the church seems to follow and worship is a myth. He is not the Holy Promised One of Israel.
I will say it seems that more and more from sunday churchianity are coming to learn that the history of Yeshua did not begin and end with the words of Paul, that he began long before Gen. 1:1 but we begin to see Him there - thus we have Messianic Judaism, where we're trying to return to the Judaism of our Lord and his first students, the disciples.

Upvote 0