Meet the People Who Were Passed Over For Obama

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe.asp

Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs." (did something in real life)

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.(really did so something actually)

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence." (did something in real life)

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."
(actually did something)

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'" (really did so something)

"Wei Jingsheng
, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the U.S.
(really cares about people)

Won the Nobel Peace Prize: Obama- apologized for america to other countries and shook hands with them in 9 months.
The land mind one is about as close to the nobel peace prize that I can see in that entire list.

Upvote 0

Gawron

Apr 24, 2008
✟5,109.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Reading over these various threads, I am simply amazed and astounded at the sheer idolatry given to Obama on this and other questions. But the logic used to defend him and criticize others amounts to nothing more than "obama won, therefore he deserved it, so you shut up".

Claiming that Obama got the award because he wants world peace, because he speaks about world peace, because he was committed to world peace during his campaign, justifies nothing. As I said on another thread, he has done as much to achieve world peace as he has to win the national league Cy Young award, and giving him this prize makes as much sense as if Obama were to win an award meant for people who actually pitch in the national league.

Take a look around the world. Do any of you actually see of the petty dictators or fundamentalist sociopaths changing their ways? Disarming? Renouncing terrorism? Curbing the violence? Trashing their own military and nuclear stockpiles? Unclenching their fist?

I thought not.

But someone asked why did Obama win the award. Two primary reasons.

1. One more slap in the face to the prior administration.

2. To politically influence the future decisions Obama makes in regard to projecting American power around the world.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Canukian-

It should be called the antichrist peace prize or the Nobel Bogus Prize.

True - winning this bogus prize gives Obama more of a reason to make america look like a fool to other countries. Thus, he will apologize for america even more - oh great, I can't wait for this vomit to come out of Obama's mouth.

Lawtonfoggle-

Any one of those people have done more for mankind than Obama in real life period!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dusky_tresses

Just holding on
Jun 4, 2004
Midwest
✟17,998.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the real issue here is that Obama has not really achieved or contributed anything as to date. I think it would have been more humble on his part to say "I am deeply honored, thank you, but I cannot accept this award."

I find it most interesting that people from outside the U.S. see Obama as someone who will bring the U.S. back into international relations and restore our image, but as Americans...we need to see some results.

Upvote 0

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Reading over these various threads, I am simply amazed and astounded at the sheer idolatry given to Obama on this and other questions. But the logic used to defend him and criticize others amounts to nothing more than "obama won, therefore he deserved it, so you shut up".

Of course, this couldn't possibly have anything to do with the "market" for anti-Obama statements being full to saturation and then some...

Having said that, I think it would be fair to say that awarding the Nobel Peace Prize to Obama was a decision borne far more from hope of future outcomes than on extant acts of Obama himself.

Whether or not this is a Bad Thing...well, I think only time will tell. This is hardly the first time this Nobel has been awarded more from a desire to catalyze change than for change already manifest. There have been some hits, and there have been some misses, to be sure.

Upvote 0

blueapplepaste

the purpose of life is a life of purpose
Jun 7, 2005
Texas
✟18,874.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Its funny, I wonder the same thing about the anti-Obama threads.

And in this case, most have been saying he doesn't deserve it, but are simply defending him by pointing out that he didn't choose to win. He can't control it, yet as is typical, they attack him for it, even though he had no control one way or the other.

Upvote 0

lawtonfogle

My solace my terror, my terror my solace.
Apr 20, 2005
✟13,892.00
Faith
Christian
Canukian-

True - winning this bogus prize gives Obama more of a reason to make america look like a fool to other countries. Thus, he will apologize for america even more - oh great, I can't wait for this vomit to come out of Obama's mouth.

Lawtonfoggle-

Any one of those people have done more for mankind than Obama in real life period!

You may have misread me. When I said 'people on that list', I was referring to the entire list, including the part with Obama. Basically, the others I don't count because while they are fighting for civil right and against oppression, this isn't the Nobel Humanitarian Prize, but the Nobel Peace Prize. Then again, I may be taking the mean of it a bit strictly, as in actually working to lessen the impact of wars.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Canukian-

What is wrong with apologising for American errors and admitting that the US is not perfect?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Baggins

Senior Veteran
Mar 8, 2006
At Sea
✟14,982.00
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Labour
That's because the Keynsian economic model has been shown to work time and time again everytime it pulls the laissez Faire model of of the dung hill it crashes the world economy into when it is foisted on us by the swivel eyed idealogues of the right.

Whe the world needed to recover from teh second world war who did they turn to?

The economic right never tire of being wrong and the Keynian model never tires of sorting out the mess they leave behind.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens
It should be called the antichrist peace prize...

Why?

True - winning this bogus prize gives Obama more of a reason to make america look like a fool to other countries.

There are people - I suspect a great many people, of whom I'm one - who believe that Bush did a brilliant job for eight years of making America look like a fool to other countries, and that Obama, far from following that trend, is in fact more likely to reverse it and restore America's reputation.

Thus, he will apologize for america even more...

I've asked you this before, and not received any response - can you give me any examples of Obama "apologising for America"? Can you explain - regardless of whether he has done so or not - how "apologising for America" (which I suspect is more likely to mean "apologising for the mistakes of the Bush administration") is a bad thing?

David.

Upvote 0

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens

It seems to me that the majority of pro-Obama people, far from engaging in "idolatry", are if anything making the point that actually, giving Obama the peace prize this early in his administration is rather premature. Certainly there is every hope that he will do things to justify winning the prize, but that's not the same as "obama won, therefore he deserved it, so you shut up".

However, the decision has been made, so there doesn't seem to be much that can be done about it at this stage, so we may as well just learn to live with it.

David.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What is wrong with apologising for American errors and admitting that the US is not perfect?

In fact, isn't this the Christian thing to do, and aren't we a "Christian nation" according to many conservatives?

Upvote 0

Suomipoika

Vito Corleone
Dec 3, 2005
Helsinki, Finland
✟23,288.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private

Heh, didn't even Palin refer to the U.S. as not being perfect in some of her speeches? "He believes America is imperfect enough to..." or something like that. :)

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the real issue here is that Obama has not really achieved or contributed anything as to date. I think it would have been more humble on his part to say "I am deeply honored, thank you, but I cannot accept this award."
He closed the "black ops" torture camps of the previous administration, he has opened talks with nations previously deemed untouchables, he has started winding down the war in Iraq, he is working with NATO on how to best deal with the war in Afghanistan, he's bringing health care to the people of his nation.

I find it most interesting that people from outside the U.S. see Obama as someone who will bring the U.S. back into international relations and restore our image, but as Americans...we need to see some results.
Mark 6:4

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟212,929.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
But someone asked why did Obama win the award. Two primary reasons.

1. One more slap in the face to the prior administration.

2. To politically influence the future decisions Obama makes in regard to projecting American power around the world.
You may be right on these two points.

Upvote 0