Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe.asp

Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs." (cares about others)

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.(really did so something actually)

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence." (did something in real life really)

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."
(actually did something honestly in the real world)

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'" (really did something actually)

"Wei Jingsheng
, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the U.S.
(really cares about people)

Won the Nobel Peace Prize: Obama- apologized for america to other countries and shook hands with them in 9 months.

Last edited:
Reactions: seashale76

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
From Colorado, currently in the UK
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
And how many of them had you actually heard of before today? How many of them will you remember tomorrow?

Every time someone wins the NPP that people don't like, they always do a "look who got conned out of the award!" dissection. If any of these people had won the prize, you probably wouldn't have even known. Don't feign care about them now.

Reactions: Baggins
Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
And how many of them had you actually heard of before today? How many of them will you remember tomorrow?

Irrelevant.

Every time someone wins the NPP that people don't like, they always do a "look who got conned out of the award!" dissection. If any of these people had won the prize, you probably wouldn't have even known. Don't feign care about them now.

Whether or not the OP cares about them has nothing to do with what those people did with their lives.

IMO, Obama has yet to earn the same stature.

Upvote 0

salida

Veteran
Jun 14, 2006
✟6,243.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually, I have heard of some of them before and even though they arn't a president of a country they did more for mankind. Doing good for mankind is what is important. I will remember Obama hurting this country. I guess because he is a
high profile person all of a sudden he does important things no matter what they are?
It doesn't matter what he does? Wow, what an award.

He would have been more productive just merely walking down a sidewalk than bashing america.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Irrelevant.

Whether or not the OP cares about them has nothing to do with what those people did with their lives.
Nope, but if that's the case then it shines a light on the motive of this board. Namely that it has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that these people deserved the award more than Obama, but rather that Obama won it at all. If there is no actual concern for the people who were passed over, then there is merely manufactured outrage to attack the President. In essence, these people are being used as political pawns to further a partisan agenda.

Which I happen to think is reprehensible. What about you?

Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟908,933.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
http://www.weeklystandard.com/weblogs/TWSFP/2009/10/meet_the_people_who_were_passe.asp

Meet the People Who Were Passed Over for Obama

Sima Samar, women's rights activist in Afghanistan: "With dogged persistence and at great personal risk, she kept her schools and clinics open in Afghanistan even during the most repressive days of the Taliban regime, whose laws prohibited the education of girls past the age of eight. When the Taliban fell, Samar returned to Kabul and accepted the post of Minister for Women's Affairs." (did something in real life)

Ingrid Betancourt: French-Colombian ex-hostage held for six years.(really did so something actually)

"Dr. Denis Mukwege: Doctor, founder and head of Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, Democratic Republic of Congo. He has dedicated his life to helping Congolese women and girls who are victims of gang rape and brutal sexual violence." (did something in real life)

Handicap International and Cluster Munition Coalition: "These organizations are recognized for their consistently serious efforts to clean up cluster bombs, also known as land mines. Innocent civilians are regularly killed worldwide because the unseen bombs explode when stepped upon."
(actually did something)

"Hu Jia, a human rights activist and an outspoken critic of the Chinese government, who was sentenced last year to a three-and-a-half-year prison term for 'inciting subversion of state power.'" (really did so something)

"Wei Jingsheng
, who spent 17 years in Chinese prisons for urging reforms of China's communist system. He now lives in the U.S.
(really cares about people)

Won the Nobel Peace Prize: Obama- apologized for america to other countries and shook hands with them in 9 months.

One wonders how they found this out, since who has been nominated is not released for 50 years.

Nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Actually, I have heard of some of them before and even though they arn't a president of a country they did more for mankind.
I've heard of some of them too, doesn't mean I cared whether they won the NPP or not, to be blunt. And I'm willing to bet it didn't to you either, until today.

In fact, and be honest now, did you even the NPP was due to be awarded soon? Just asking.
Doing good for mankind is what is important. I will remember Obama hurting this country.
Of course you will.
I guess because he is a
high profile person all of a sudden he does important things no matter what they are?
I don't think Obama should have gotten the award, because he hasn't done anything that warrants it yet. But I'm not going around pretending to have a bleeding heart over the rest of the nominees because I disagree with the decision. That's just being disingenuous.
He would have been more productive just merely walking down a sidewalk than bashing america.
What a very blinkered view. No he doesn't "bash" America. Anymore than me getting 9/10 on a test is my professor "bashing" me.

Upvote 0

Steve Petersen

Senior Veteran
May 11, 2005
✟162,912.00
Faith
Deist
Politics
US-Libertarian
In essence, these people are being used as political pawns to further a partisan agenda.

You mean like the public school kids being taught to sing the praises of 'Barack Hussein Obama, mmm...mmm.mmm?'

Which I happen to think is reprehensible. What about you?

If I accepted your spin, then yes.

Manufactured outrage? Reprehensible? So is manufactured outrage about manufactured outrage.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
One wonders how they found this out, since who has been nominated is not released for 50 years.

Nomination for the Nobel Peace Prize

Oh wows
Every year, the Norwegian Nobel Committee sends out thousands of letters inviting qualified people to submit their nominations for the Nobel Peace Prize. The names of the nominees and other information about the nominations cannot be revealed until 50 years later.
I totally missed that. Good catch.

And that's /thread people.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You mean like the public school kids being taught to sing the praises of 'Barack Hussein Obama, mmm...mmm.mmm?
If you think that "getting" kids in "public schools" to sing "praises" to Obama, then conveniently recording it and it conveniently ending up on YouTube is advancing the agenda of Democrats or the Administration, then I guess your half-baked link might be justified.

But I don't think it is, so what do you want me to say? OH NOES I MUST HAS PARTISAN BIAS BECAUSE I DIDN'T TAKE INTO ACCOUNT A VIDEO THAT WAS ON YOUTUBE BEFORE I MADE CRITICISMS OF A BOARD THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH IT!!!!
If I accepted your spin, then yes.
What part of my "spin" is incorrect? I didn't know any of these people were in the running for the NPP. Neither did you. You only care now because it's a political issue and we have to make Obama look bad.
Manufactured outrage? Reprehensible? So is manufactured outrage about manufactured outrage.
If my annoyance at the incessant boards decrying Obama for things that he has no control over and pretending to care about issues that no-one paid attention to five minutes ago wasn't genuine, you might have a point.

But it isn't, so you don't.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TheNewWorldMan

phased plasma rifle in 40-watt range
Jan 2, 2007
✟28,775.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Others
Ok, he doesn't bash america - he apologizes for amercia. Does that sound better?

Obama could bring peace to the Middle East, verifiably eliminate all nuclear weapons, end starvation and hunger, and invent a machine that eats toxic waste and child molesters while emitting gold bars and premium gasoline--and you would STILL bash him.

This isn't about facts, it's about people STILL being sore that a "Negro with a funny name" is in the White House.

Upvote 0

Staccato

Tarut keeps on dreaming
Site Supporter
Sep 9, 2007
✟51,802.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Ok, he doesn't bash america - he apologizes for amercia. Does that sound better?
Seeing as they are two completely different things, not really. To bash means to attack. To apologise for means, well, to apologise for. I fail to see the reasoning behind the right-wing media's obsession with trying to convince us the latter is a bad thing.

Also salida, what do you think about your OP now that the "revelation" that the list in it is, almost certainly, false? How do you feel about a news source that would deliberately lie to its readers in an attempt to further an agenda? Do you not feel insulted by them? Or do those lies serve a greater good?

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
You mean like the public school kids being taught to sing the praises of 'Barack Hussein Obama, mmm...mmm.mmm?'

What you actually mean is public school kids paying homage to the first African-American President during Black History Month.
Ringo

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

David Brider

Aug 18, 2004
With the Lord
✟81,010.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Greens

When exactly has he apologised for America? What exactly has he said? Is apologising for America necessarily a bad thing?

David.

Upvote 0

katherine2001

Veteran
Jun 24, 2003
Billings, MT
Visit site
✟11,346.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Seeing as they are two completely different things, not really. To bash means to attack. To apologise for means, well, to apologise for. I fail to see the reasoning behind the right-wing media's obsession with trying to convince us the latter is a bad thing.

Also salida, what do you think about your OP now that the "revelation" that the list in it is, almost certainly, false? How do you feel about a news source that would deliberately lie to its readers in an attempt to further an agenda? Do you not feel insulted by them? Or do those lies serve a greater good?

Also, if we are a "Christian nation" as a lot of people on this forum claim we are, then President Obama is just doing what a Christian (leading a Christian nation) should do. The New Testament writings make it quite clear that if we have done something wrong to another person, we go and make it right with them, which would include apologizing and asking their forgiveness. Also, what is it that causes people to not want to apologize? (Hint: it begins with "p" and includes 4 other letters, and it is one of the things that God hates most. Think about what a better place this world would be if nations would humble themselves and make up with each other when wrong doing has been done instead of refusing to repent or apologize for their actions and would be willing to talk and work things out. There would be peace instead of war. I seem to remember the Beattitudes says "Blessed are the peacemakers. . .", and not "Blessed are the war-mongers. . ."

Upvote 0

jgarden

Senior Veteran
Jan 1, 2004
✟106,405.00
Faith
Methodist
The Peace Prize was really directed toward the American electorate in recognition for not voting in another Republican into the White House.

Barack Obama may not get much "respect" from America conservatives BUT he's the closest thing to what the world considers an "INTELLIGENT LIFE FORM" that has resided in the White House in the last 8 years.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I have heard of some of them before and even though they arn't a president of a country they did more for mankind. Doing good for mankind is what is important. I will remember Obama hurting this country. I guess because he is a

When, where and how has Obama been either "bashing America" or apologising for its conduct?

Upvote 0

mont974x4

The Christian Anarchist
Site Supporter
Aug 1, 2006
Montana, USA
Visit site
✟46,615.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Now he's up there with people like Arafat and Anwar Sadat.

Obama should have said, "thanks but no thanks". Especially since the nomination deadline was justa few days after he took office.

must be darn good kool aid.

Upvote 0