Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Saw this in FB Orthodox Educators group I'm part of. Sharing it here. Just starting to read it, but heard it is excellent.

Here's beginning excerpt followed by the link:

Our present secular culture has fixed a great gap between people of my generation (i.e. those from the Jurassic period) and modern young people. And this gap is most easily observed when looking at our divergent understandings of fornication. Indeed, I remember once giving instruction to a young (chaste) catechumen, and casually mentioning that the Church opposed fornication. The eyes of the young’un glazed over a bit before asking me what fornication was. The person wasn’t asking for a more precise definition; rather, the person had no idea what the word meant. The word had effectively vanished from modern vocabulary and could only be recovered by looking it up in the Oxford English Dictionary. The current phrase used to describe the practice is, I am told, “hooking up”.

Meditation on Fornication

AureateDawn

Love & Peace
May 2, 2006
Knoxville, TN
✟12,273.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What an incredible piece. Thank you for sharing!

These Orthodox views on sexuality are what I have kept in my life, though I have noticed that it is hard to believe such things regarding sexuality while you're living in the world with worldly ways outside of the Church. No one else really believes like I do regarding the topic.

Upvote 0

Gxg (G²)

Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7)
Supporter
Jan 25, 2009
Good Ol' South...
Visit site
✟160,220.00
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Saw this in FB Orthodox Educators group I'm part of. Sharing it here. Just starting to read it, but heard it is excellent.

Here's beginning excerpt followed by the link:

Our present secular culture has fixed a great gap between people of my generation (i.e. those from the Jurassic period) and modern young people. And this gap is most easily observed when looking at our divergent understandings of fornication. Indeed, I remember once giving instruction to a young (chaste) catechumen, and casually mentioning that the Church opposed fornication. The eyes of the young’un glazed over a bit before asking me what fornication was. The person wasn’t asking for a more precise definition; rather, the person had no idea what the word meant. The word had effectively vanished from modern vocabulary and could only be recovered by looking it up in the Oxford English Dictionary. The current phrase used to describe the practice is, I am told, “hooking up”.

Meditation on Fornication

So relevant in a time when truth is deemed to be irrelevant. Thanks for the article and sharing thoughts to inspire :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums