• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Meditation on Fornication by Fr. Lawrence Farley

Discussion in 'The Ancient Way - Eastern Orthodox' started by Dorothea, May 29, 2013.

1. Dorothea

Dorothea One of God's handmaidens

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Saw this in FB Orthodox Educators group I'm part of. Sharing it here. Just starting to read it, but heard it is excellent.

Here's beginning excerpt followed by the link:

Our present secular culture has fixed a great gap between people of my generation (i.e. those from the Jurassic period) and modern young people. And this gap is most easily observed when looking at our divergent understandings of fornication. Indeed, I remember once giving instruction to a young (chaste) catechumen, and casually mentioning that the Church opposed fornication. The eyes of the young’un glazed over a bit before asking me what fornication was. The person wasn’t asking for a more precise definition; rather, the person had no idea what the word meant. The word had effectively vanished from modern vocabulary and could only be recovered by looking it up in the Oxford English Dictionary. The current phrase used to describe the practice is, I am told, “hooking up”.

Meditation on Fornication

We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. 27B6

27B6 Veteran

+93
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  3. Dorothea

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    Yes, I thought so, too. :)

4. MKJ

MKJ Contributor

+679
    Anglican
    Married
    CA-Greens
    Well, I have to say the title of this thread gave me pause.:sorry:

5. AureateDawn

AureateDawn Love & Peace

+129
    Other Religion
    Single
    What an incredible piece. Thank you for sharing!

These Orthodox views on sexuality are what I have kept in my life, though I have noticed that it is hard to believe such things regarding sexuality while you're living in the world with worldly ways outside of the Church. No one else really believes like I do regarding the topic.

6. Gxg (G²)

Gxg (G²) Pilgrim/Monastic on the Road to God (Psalm 84:1-7) CF Ambassadors Supporter

+1,185
    Oriental Orthodox
    Private
    US-Others
    So relevant in a time when truth is deemed to be irrelevant. Thanks for the article and sharing thoughts to inspire :)

7. ArmyMatt

ArmyMatt Regular Member Supporter

+15,600
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    thanks Dot!

8. Dorothea

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    You're all welcome! Glad his blog was helpful and nourishing.

9. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,986
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    Hey, I know that Father Lawrence Farley guy. We were in attendance together at St. Tikhon's Seminary back in the Jurassic period. Thanks Dot!

10. Dorothea

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    You're welcome, true. :)

11. truefiction1

truefiction1 Fool

+1,986
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    ... Of course, he was much younger looking (and thinner) the last time I saw him. But that was around 1986 or something, so both of us were.:)

12. Dorothea

+1,928
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Others
    :D