✟277,286.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I remembered incorrectly.

I had scarlet fever as a kid, but this was post-antibiotics, so it was pretty much a nothing. I didn't even get ice cream, no sympathy, no doting.

I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth I got Scarlet fever as a child which left her facially scarred.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Chickenpox was bad too.
This is kind of a mis-understanding.

At some day care centers, (at least ones I saw in the past, not having been to one in a while) ,

they put a sign on the door, a big sign with big letters "Chickenpox present".

When they did this, MORE PARENTS (Not Less, Not Fewer) Parents,

PURPOSEFULLY BROUGHT THEIR CHILDREN and for good reasons.

ALL the emotional atni-vxxer posts and publications have been woefully mis-informed about almost everything. (way way way too much to deal with on this forum).

M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y
seems more important than truth, so much the last 100 years plus.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

A Realist

Living in Reality
Dec 27, 2018
Georgia
✟67,536.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Chickenpox was bad too. Both of my sons caught it because they didn’t have the vaccine available then . My oldest had such bad scabs from that on his feet that he was unable to walk. I don’t see why people would put their kids through these if they didn’t have to
Back before the vaccine, it was common practice for parents to ensure their kids were exposed to chicken pox if their friends/siblings/relatives had it. This was done so they would get it over with, and not have to worry about getting it again. Chickenpox is worse if you get it when you're a teen or adult.

We did it with our kids, and my parents did it with us, and my grandparents before them.....it was the way of life back then.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I read somewhere that Queen Elizabeth I got Scarlet fever as a child which left her facially scarred.
Does scarlet fever scar? I just remember a rash, no pox or pustules. But I was just a kid with a mild case.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟12,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
This is kind of a mis-understanding.

At some day care centers, (at least ones I saw in the past, not having been to one in a while) ,

they put a sign on the door, a big sign with big letters "Chickenpox present".

When they did this, MORE PARENTS (Not Less, Not Fewer) Parents,

PURPOSEFULLY BROUGHT THEIR CHILDREN and for good reasons.

ALL the emotional atni-vxxer posts and publications have been woefully mis-informed about almost everything. (way way way too much to deal with on this forum).

M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y M O N E Y
seems more important than truth, so much the last 100 years plus.
Someone who types in all caps accuses other people of emotionalism...

Reactions: sesquiterpene
Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,428.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
At least 70 deaths due to measles – DOH
"Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told reporters that the Epidemiology Bureau recorded 4,302 cases of measles from January 1 to February 9 this year... According to Duque, one of the main reasons behind the measles outbreak was the hesitation of parents to have their children vaccinated... The Department of Health says almost 4 out of 5 fatalities were not vaccinated for measles."

• Informative
Reactions: sfs
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
At least 70 deaths due to measles – DOH
"Health Secretary Francisco Duque III told reporters that the Epidemiology Bureau recorded 4,302 cases of measles from January 1 to February 9 this year... According to Duque, one of the main reasons behind the measles outbreak was the hesitation of parents to have their children vaccinated... The Department of Health says almost 4 out of 5 fatalities were not vaccinated for measles."
This is misleading, and intentionally so (from the site).

You get measles if you are exposed to measles. Measles cause measles. Not "lack of vaccine causes measles".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,428.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others

You get measles if you are exposed to measles. Measles cause measles. Not "lack of vaccine causes measles".
I don't see anything misleading in the article and couldn't find the phrase "lack of vaccine causes measles" anywhere.

Yes, exposure to measles causes measles, but had more people been vaccinated, there wouldn't be an outbreak like what we are seeing now. An un-vaccinated person exposed to measles will likely contract measles. A vaccinated person exposed to measles in almost every case will not.

• Agree
Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟457,221.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't see anything misleading in the article and couldn't find the phrase "lack of vaccine causes measles" anywhere.

Yes, exposure to measles causes measles, but had more people been vaccinated, there wouldn't be an outbreak like what we are seeing now. An un-vaccinated person exposed to measles will likely contract measles. A vaccinated person exposed to measles in almost every case will not.
The common rhetoric is "These "anti-vaxxers" are CAUSING (fill in disease)" and it is repeated ad nauseum, in lockstep.

Nope. You have to come in contact with the disease itself. Not just with someone who is well, who has not had a particular vaccine. That will result in absolutely nothing. In fact, we are all doing it every day, every time we interact with grandma and her generation. They had no, or possible 1-2 vaccines, depending on age (since some grandparents are young). Great-grandma had almost nothing, yet kids don't fall ill when she comes into their presence. That is the misleading bit I am talking about and it is repeated constantly.

Upvote 0

Ringo84

Separation of Church and State expert
Jul 31, 2006
A Cylon Basestar
Visit site
✟121,289.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
These people are....extremely not-smart. I didn't get the flu vaccination as a kid, but that's because I didn't like shots/needles (still don't, but I'm a little braver now as a thirtysomething adult).

I definitely lean towards the side of mandatory vaccination of children under eighteen. We can't have this; it's not only unfair to kids, but it's unfair to the rest of us who have to put up with diseases that should be eradicated. It's a public health crisis and that's why I think the government should intervene.
Ringo

Upvote 0

JosephZ

Mar 25, 2017
Davao City
Visit site
✟230,428.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
The common rhetoric is "These "anti-vaxxers" are CAUSING (fill in disease)" and it is repeated ad nauseum, in lockstep.
There's a good reason for that.

Nope. You have to come in contact with the disease itself. Not just with someone who is well, who has not had a particular vaccine.
That's what I said.
exposure to measles causes measles... An un-vaccinated person exposed to measles will likely contract measles. A vaccinated person exposed to measles in almost every case will not.

I didn't say anything about a person coming in contact with someone who is well, hasn't had the vaccine, or their grandma who had measles decades ago getting measles as a result of being in contact with them.

• Agree
Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,316.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
What is the point of the distinction you are trying to make? No, anti-vaxxers don't cause disease. All they do is cause disease to spread that wouldn't otherwise spread, and cause lots of people to get sick who wouldn't otherwise get sick, and some of them to die.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

High Fidelity

Site Supporter
Feb 9, 2014
✟904,775.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Private
What is the point of the distinction you are trying to make? No, anti-vaxxers don't cause disease. All they do is cause disease to spread that wouldn't otherwise spread, and cause lots of people to get sick who wouldn't otherwise get sick, and some of them to die.

Exactly.

It's like fire doors in a building. Someone can, by choice, leave all of them open and the fire will spread more easily than if they were closed. The person didn't start the fire but they did, by all accounts, facilitate its spread through their own actions.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private

It's not misleading. Lack of vaccinated individuals allow the disease to spread. And anti-vax movements are to blame for lack of vaccinations.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
they'll often reap what they sow as their own children contract diseases that otherwise were preventable.

And other people will reap what they sow. Some children are too young to be vaccinated, and others cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

Thousands of babies too young to be vaccinated die because they come into contact with a child that should have been.

IMHO, anyone who doesn't have their children vaccinated should not be allowed into the public school system for that very reason.

Like I said, some children cannot be vaccinated for medical reasons.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
The measles outbreaks are the reason for my signature right now. It's a dang shame parents who've got access to vaccinations don't get them for their kids, for the rest of the folks their kids come into contact with. I've read through what the anti-vaxxers on here, other places have written. It's just pathetic as all get out. They make medical choices based on crap like that fake-documentary Vaxxed instead of seeing a real medical MD. Smh.

Upvote 0

Go Braves

I miss Senator McCain
May 18, 2017
Atlanta
✟15,568.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Republican
These people are....extremely not-smart. I didn't get the flu vaccination as a kid, but that's because I didn't like shots/needles (still don't, but I'm a little braver now as a thirtysomething adult).

I definitely lean towards the side of mandatory vaccination of children under eighteen. We can't have this; it's not only unfair to kids, but it's unfair to the rest of us who have to put up with diseases that should be eradicated. It's a public health crisis and that's why I think the government should intervene.
Ringo

That was putting it mighty diplomatically, lol. You sure are right about all that. In my family we make sure the dogs & the humans have gotten our shots. Never had chicken pox, the flu, measles, anything else. The shots don't even hurt. We always had to get shots for school, including college. Problem is a lot of the anti-vaxxer folks homeschool their kids. Those kids don't just sit at home, though, they go out, contaminate others.

• Agree
Reactions: Ringo84
Upvote 0