Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Growing number of measles outbreaks now a global problem | CBC News
Measles outbreaks now a global problem thanks to anti-vaxxers
The measles are making a big comeback.

The latest figures from the World Health Organization show that 2018 will be another (modern) record-setting year for the highly contagious yet easily preventable disease, with 301,702 suspected and confirmed cases worldwide through the end of October. But those represent just a fraction of the actual number of infections, as most cases in the developing world go unreported.

Late last month, the WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, published a report that found a 31 per cent rise in worldwide measles cases in 2017, estimating 110,000 deaths due to the disease, mostly children under the age of five. Reported cases have increased in five of the six world health regions, with only Western Pacific nations like Australia and Japan showing progress.

Targeted vaccination campaigns have reduced the number of measles deaths by 80 per cent over the past two decades, from an estimated 545,000 fatal cases in 2000. But vaccine coverage, which needs to be at 95 per cent to offer "herd immunity" and effectively end outbreaks of the disease, has stalled at around 85 per cent and has been falling in several countries.

The reason is the anti-vaxxer movement, which has lately been gaining strength and support from populist governments who share their science skepticism.

A report in today's Guardian newspaper captures the frustration of the European Union's health commissioner, Dr. Vytenis Andriukaitis, at the close to 64,000 cases and 72 deaths across the continent so far this year.
"Not just me – all of scientific society is concerned – epidemiologists, paediatricians, infectious disease experts and a lot of health ministers," he told the paper. "It is unimaginable that we have deaths because of measles – children dying because of measles. We promised that by 2020 Europe would be measles free."

Immunization rates have fallen in places like Romania, Italy, Poland and France, as the internet continues to spread discredited concerns about the safety of the MMR vaccine and governments have made it easier for parents to opt out. And the number of cases across Europe have grown exponentially, from 5273 in 2016, to 23,927 last year and now almost triple that figure.

This year, Europe has experienced a particularly large measles outbreaks in Ukraine — 45,000 sickened — and sizeable ones in Serbia, Greece, and Albania among others, with cases now documented in 42 of its 53 nations. In fact, Europe now has more suspected and confirmed cases than Africa, and ranks second behind Southeast Asia, where India is currently experiencing the world's worst outbreak.

But the problem is global.

· Measles threat looms in Philippines as trust in vaccines declines

Venezuela has seen a sharp spike in the measles in the midst of its economic and political meltdown, with more than 6,000 confirmed cases since the summer of 2017, as has neighbouring Brazil, which reports 9,800 cases. Madagascar has had more than 10,000 cases over just the past three months.

And this week, Israel saw its second measles death in a month, as the nation grapples with an outbreak that has affected 2,690 people, resulting in 948 hospitalizations.

It has been a relatively quiet year for measles in North America, with 292 cases reported across the United States, and 29 in Canada — the latest leading to a public health alert this week in the Greater Toronto region.

· Measles cases climb sharply in Europe

The highly contagious disease, which can be spread by coughs or sneezes, usually manifests itself with cold-like symptoms and a rash. But in certain cases it can cause serious and potentially deadly complications, including encephalitis, meningitis and pneumonia.

Before the MMR vaccine became widely available in 1980, the measles used to kill 2.6 million people every year. And the the WHO estimates that the two dose treatment has prevented 21.1 million deaths since 2000.

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
IMHO, anti-vaxxers are one of the most dangerous anti-science movements out there. They are in the position to do the most damage compared to most anti-science movements.

At the same time, they'll often reap what they sow as their own children contract diseases that otherwise were preventable. IMHO, anyone who doesn't have their children vaccinated should not be allowed into the public school system for that very reason.

Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,861.00
Faith
Atheist
Growing number of measles outbreaks now a global problem | CBC News
Measles outbreaks now a global problem thanks to anti-vaxxers
The measles are making a big comeback.

The latest figures from the World Health Organization show that 2018 will be another (modern) record-setting year for the highly contagious yet easily preventable disease, with 301,702 suspected and confirmed cases worldwide through the end of October. But those represent just a fraction of the actual number of infections, as most cases in the developing world go unreported.

Late last month, the WHO and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, published a report that found a 31 per cent rise in worldwide measles cases in 2017, estimating 110,000 deaths due to the disease, mostly children under the age of five. Reported cases have increased in five of the six world health regions, with only Western Pacific nations like Australia and Japan showing progress.

Targeted vaccination campaigns have reduced the number of measles deaths by 80 per cent over the past two decades, from an estimated 545,000 fatal cases in 2000. But vaccine coverage, which needs to be at 95 per cent to offer "herd immunity" and effectively end outbreaks of the disease, has stalled at around 85 per cent and has been falling in several countries.

The reason is the anti-vaxxer movement, which has lately been gaining strength and support from populist governments who share their science skepticism.

A report in today's Guardian newspaper captures the frustration of the European Union's health commissioner, Dr. Vytenis Andriukaitis, at the close to 64,000 cases and 72 deaths across the continent so far this year.
"Not just me – all of scientific society is concerned – epidemiologists, paediatricians, infectious disease experts and a lot of health ministers," he told the paper. "It is unimaginable that we have deaths because of measles – children dying because of measles. We promised that by 2020 Europe would be measles free."

Immunization rates have fallen in places like Romania, Italy, Poland and France, as the internet continues to spread discredited concerns about the safety of the MMR vaccine and governments have made it easier for parents to opt out. And the number of cases across Europe have grown exponentially, from 5273 in 2016, to 23,927 last year and now almost triple that figure.

This year, Europe has experienced a particularly large measles outbreaks in Ukraine — 45,000 sickened — and sizeable ones in Serbia, Greece, and Albania among others, with cases now documented in 42 of its 53 nations. In fact, Europe now has more suspected and confirmed cases than Africa, and ranks second behind Southeast Asia, where India is currently experiencing the world's worst outbreak.

But the problem is global.

· Measles threat looms in Philippines as trust in vaccines declines

Venezuela has seen a sharp spike in the measles in the midst of its economic and political meltdown, with more than 6,000 confirmed cases since the summer of 2017, as has neighbouring Brazil, which reports 9,800 cases. Madagascar has had more than 10,000 cases over just the past three months.

And this week, Israel saw its second measles death in a month, as the nation grapples with an outbreak that has affected 2,690 people, resulting in 948 hospitalizations.

It has been a relatively quiet year for measles in North America, with 292 cases reported across the United States, and 29 in Canada — the latest leading to a public health alert this week in the Greater Toronto region.

· Measles cases climb sharply in Europe

The highly contagious disease, which can be spread by coughs or sneezes, usually manifests itself with cold-like symptoms and a rash. But in certain cases it can cause serious and potentially deadly complications, including encephalitis, meningitis and pneumonia.

Before the MMR vaccine became widely available in 1980, the measles used to kill 2.6 million people every year. And the the WHO estimates that the two dose treatment has prevented 21.1 million deaths since 2000.
The sad thing is that it's children who have no choice in the matter who are being put at risk and are dying, and by dropping the vaccination percentage below the 'herd immunity' level, antivaxers are also putting at risk those few others, of all ages, who are unable to be vaccinated for health reasons.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
When the way to eliminate the danger(s) of measles and other diseases
were
covered up and lost to most people
because
there was more money in lying about it all
so
a trillion dollar industry could grow and is continued.....

go figure....

find out what the anti-greed simple honest people know ... it is better than
the
world system ....

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
small town Ontario, Canada
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
The sad thing is that it's children who have no choice in the matter who are being put at risk and are dying, and by dropping the vaccination percentage below the 'herd immunity' level, antivaxers are also putting at risk those few others, of all ages, who are unable to be vaccinated for health reasons.

It could be argued that this makes them accessories before the fact to murder.

Upvote 0

sfs

Jun 30, 2003
Massachusetts
✟342,616.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
When the way to eliminate the danger(s) of measles and other diseases
were
covered up and lost to most people
because
there was more money in lying about it all
so
a trillion dollar industry could grow and is continued.....
This is a complete fantasy. Measles always killed lots of people, and the only thing that reduced that horrific burden was vaccination. Anyone who spreads lies about vaccines has the blood of children on their hands.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
^^^^^^ spin spin spin ^^^^^^^
or as reported a year ago nationwide "fake news"

true, it is very difficult for someone to find the truth anywhere today....
the truth is very valuable and rare ....

even God's People have trouble : "MY people perish for lack of knowledge" ...

Perhaps Yahweh's Word will help though ?
WHOEVER seeks the truth, AND keeps seeking the truth, WILL find it.

GOOD BLESSING to all who seek the truth.

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟871,701.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
^^^^^^ spin spin spin ^^^^^^^
or as reported a year ago nationwide "fake news"

true, it is very difficult for someone to find the truth anywhere today....
the truth is very valuable and rare ....

even God's People have trouble : "MY people perish for lack of knowledge" ...

Perhaps Yahweh's Word will help though ?
WHOEVER seeks the truth, AND keeps seeking the truth, WILL find it.

GOOD BLESSING to all who seek the truth.

I was going to point out the irony of vacuous rhetoric in a thread about vaccines, but I realized it's only alliteration.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Brightmoon

Apes and humans are all in family Hominidae.
Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
My late cousin was crippled as a child by measles . I had always thought that she’d had polio until my mother told me the truth . As an adult she had to drive a special car with hand controls . I also caught measles as a small child . I remember how miserable it made me and I pretty much ran to the doctor to get my 2 children vaccinated against measles so they wouldn’t have to catch it.

Upvote 0

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
WE have a fairly sizable Amish community in our area and several years ago there was a measles outbreak that hit them selectively --- quite a few hospitalized and one or two dead. That was all it took to change their minds completely about vaccination. Too bad it took that much.

Upvote 0

pitabread

Jan 29, 2017
Frozen North
✟336,823.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
WE have a fairly sizable Amish community in our area and several years ago there was a measles outbreak that hit them selectively --- quite a few hospitalized and one or two dead. That was all it took to change their minds completely about vaccination. Too bad it took that much.

It really blows my mind that people are so afraid of medical science that it takes people dying from preventative diseases to change their mind.

It's just so sad.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Any one who’s ever had measles isn’t going to want a child to go through that. It affects your nervous system and your eyes . I had to stay in a darkened room for days and I felt sick the whole time. I can’t picture someone wanting to expose their child to that. Especially since it’s easily prevented nowadays

• Agree
Reactions: DaisyDay
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

JackRT

Site Supporter
Oct 17, 2015
✟767,295.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Unorthodox
Marital Status
Married
Any one who’s ever had measles isn’t going to want a child to go through that. It affects your nervous system and your eyes . I had to stay in a darkened room for days and I felt sick the whole time. I can’t picture someone wanting to expose their child to that. Especially since it’s easily prevented nowadays

I have a very vague memory of having measles as a child of maybe 4 or 5. That would have been in the late 1940s.

Upvote 0

Brightmoon

Mar 2, 2018
NYC
✟151,950.00
Country
United States
Faith
Episcopalian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Never caught whooping cough . Apparently I had had asymptomatic Rubella ( they test you after you’ve given birth and give you the vaccine if you never had it) I was shocked but I remember my little sister getting it and we slept in the same room. It made her sick for a few days . I remember being upset because I couldn’t play with her ;). Chickenpox was bad too. Both of my sons caught it because they didn’t have the vaccine available then . My oldest had such bad scabs from that on his feet that he was unable to walk. I don’t see why people would put their kids through these if they didn’t have to

Upvote 0