• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.
  6. We are no longer allowing posts or threads that deny the existence of Covid-19. Members have lost loved ones to this virus and are grieving. As a Christian site, we do not need to add to the pain of the loss by allowing posts that deny the existence of the virus that killed their loved one. Future post denying the Covid-19 existence, calling it a hoax, will be addressed via the warning system.

Meaning: "One Holy Catholic and Apostolic Church"

Discussion in 'General Theology' started by OrthodoxyUSA, Aug 3, 2017.

Is the meaning static as defined by those who wrote it or are we free to reinterpret it as we see f

1. Static

18 vote(s)
    72.0%
  2. Free to interpret

7 vote(s)
    28.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redleghunter

redleghunter Thank You Jesus! Supporter

+33,589
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Love your avatar.

2. JRichard68

JRichard68 There is too much butter on those trays

+140
    Canada
    Lutheran
    Divorced
    Let me ask you a question - when you "became" a Christian, were you asked any questions? Did you declare your faith? - repeat a prayer? - testimony of any kind? When/if you were baptized, did you have to make any kind of declaration? Are you a member of any church, or do you just "attend"? If you are a member, were you accepted by any process? Asked to affirm a 'statement of faith'? If you've read the 'statement of faith' for the church you attend, do you agree with it? Does it "line up" with what you believe?

If none of the above matters, have you talked with your pastor about it? Oh, that's right, you're not required to since God puts NO CONFIDENCE in men. Besides, if you did, he might take exception to you pointing out that the 'statement of faith' is a creed and should be ignored.

Just sayin'...

Counterpoint - Cats Rule! :oldthumbsup:

3. Apex

Apex Radical Centrist & Ethicist

+398
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    We know other letters existed (e.g. 1 Corinthians 5:9), we just don't know what happened to them. It is likely that the high expense of copying was a primary factor for many not being persevered properly. As for their relevance, some would have been incredibly helpful for us to still have. If we had the other letters Paul wrote to the Corinthians, we would be able to better understand the two letters we do have. Also, the reverse is true. Just look at 2 John and 3 John. There isn't much there that isn't already in 1 John. They were only persevered because they were written by John and because they were cheap to copy, not because of their content.

4. jimmyjimmy

jimmyjimmy Pardoned Rebel Supporter

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I use the same technique. It's sometimes helpful in drawing people out.

5. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Both.

6. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    If that were the case, Paul was wrong on several counts, firstly in his rebuke of Peter.

7. redleghunter

+33,589
    United States
    Christian
    Married
    Were they expensive or cheap to copy? You made both claims. The epistles of Paul some of which are very long, we have ample manuscript evidence.

Of course they were copied for their content. These were letters from an apostle.

8. redleghunter

+33,589
    United States
    Christian
    Married
  9. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    How many churches are named in the NT? What are their names?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  10. OrthodoxyUSA

OrthodoxyUSA Well-Known Member Supporter

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I hope you don't feel I've been picking on you. What subjects do you teach?

There's a lightbulb joke about change and The Orthodox Church.

Forgive me...

11. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    Ya, ya. We get it, you don't change anything.

How many Catholics does it take to change a light bulb?

None. They always use candles.

12. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Don't forget to vote at the top of the page.

Forgive me...

13. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Are you chiding me?

Some things have changed.
    Christians came out of the catacombs and tombs into public worship after it became legal.
    The creed was "developed" into a fuller statement.
    Services are shorter and spread over a year.
    Bishops don't get married anymore.
    Whole written languages were created so that communities could have written copies of the materials they needed.
    Confession is no longer done in front of everyone.
    Tithing is not mandated but rather optional at the Bishop's discretion.

Most of those changes were done in the first few centuries.

Forgive me...

14. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    No. Banter, and a joke. Fun stuff.

15. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    That was not the point of view of the authors of the creed.

So did you vote that it's free to interpretation?

Forgive me...

16. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    What writings of the original authors do we have for confirmation of meaning?

17. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    I'm going to start using smileys again. Some things just don't come across they way we want them to.

Forgive me...

18. jimmyjimmy

+5,646
    United States
    Presbyterian
    Married
    I have an avatar that permanently helps makes the point.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  19. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    Not my usual source, but the text is the same.

http://www.documentacatholicaomnia...._Vol_14_The_Seven_Ecumenical_Councils,_EN.pdf

Here is an interesting snip;

THOSE who from heresy turn to orthodoxy, and to the portion of those who are being saved, we receive according to the following method and custom: Arians, and Macedonians, and Sabbatians, and Novatians, who call themselves Cathari or Aristori, and Quarto-decimans or Tetradites, and Apollinarians, we receive, upon their giving a written renunciation [of their errors] and anathematize every heresy which is not in accordance with the Holy, Catholic, and Apostolic Church of God. Thereupon, they are first sealed or anointed with the holy oil upon the forehead, eyes, nostrils, mouth, and ears; and when we seal them, we say, “The Seal of the gift of the Holy Ghost.” But Eunomians, who are baptized with only one immersion, and Montanists, who are here called Phrygians, and Sabellians, who teach the identity of Father and Son, and do sundry other mischievous things, and [the partisans of] all other heresies—for there are many such here, particularly among those who come from the country of the Galatians:—all these, when they desire to turn to orthodoxy, we receive as heathen. On the first day we make them Christians; on the second, catechumens; on the third, we exorcise them by breathing thrice in their face and ears; and thus we instruct them and oblige them to spend some time in the Church, and to hear the Scriptures; and then we baptize them. (Making them members of The Church)

Forgive me...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  20. OrthodoxyUSA

+2,341
    United States
    Eastern Orthodox
    Married
    US-Republican
    From the Orthodox point of view... not being a member of "The Church" yet is not a problem so long as you are a Christian (professing belief in Christ as the Son of God and denouncing Satan and his Angels) and moving in the right direction.

From a Protestant point of view (I used to be one) it's troubling when someone tells you you're not in The Church.

Don't be troubled. Nobody doubts your salvation. We don't even see salvation in the same way. Nobody is condemning you, except the fire and brimstone preachers of your past.

You've likely been told at one time or another that you can't be saved if your not in The Church. Or that if you are saved... you're in The Church.
    Foolishness and utter rubbish. Christ God saves whom he will.

Forgive me...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.