McConnell Creates ‘Kill Switch’ To End Impeachment If It Becomes ‘Circus Run By Adam Schiff’

NightHawkeye

Work-in-progress
Site Supporter
Jul 5, 2010
✟803,537.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
McConnell Creates ‘Kill Switch’ To End Impeachment If It Becomes ‘Circus Run By Adam Schiff’

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has reportedly created a “kill switch” for President Donald Trump’s upcoming Senate impeachment trial that would allow for the president’s legal team to either seek an immediate verdict or a dismissal of the case if the trial descends into a circus spectacle.

“I am familiar with the resolution as it stood a day or two ago,” Sen. Josh Hawley (R-MO) told Axios. “My understanding is that the resolution will give the president’s team the option to either move to judgment or to move to dismiss at a meaningful time…”

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has reportedly created a “kill switch” for President Donald Trump’s upcoming Senate impeachment trial that would allow for the president’s legal team to either seek an immediate verdict or a dismissal of the case if the trial descends into a circus spectacle.

... or if it looks like Donald's goose is about to be cooked.

Upvote 0

Hank77

Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2015
✟1,110,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What's McConnell's definition of a circus? The impeachment hearings were only a 'circus' when someone like Jim Jordon was carrying on or when the Republicans stormed the Security room with their electronic devices. Oh, and now we know that Devine Nunes and his aide were in contact with Parnas and Giuliani so he knew all along what Giuliani was up to in the Ukraine. He may have even known about the smear campaign against Ambassador Yovanovitch while she was being questioned. It would explain some of the ways he behaved in the hearing when he looked distracted and uncomfortable.

• Agree
Reactions: wing2000
Upvote 0

GoldenBoy89

We're Still Here
Sep 25, 2012
LA
✟555,974.00
Country
United States
Faith
Humanist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally I would love to have them call Adam 'Shifty' Schiff to the stand.....and then bring in the whistle blower to testify.....ooooo....wouldn't that be great theater.
It’s amazing how easily Trump’s base has taken to using his same childish, and in this case, borderline anti-Semitic nicknames for his opponents.

Upvote 0

civilwarbuff

Site Supporter
May 28, 2015
✟614,543.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
It’s amazing how easily Trump’s base has taken to using his same childish, and in this case, borderline anti-Semitic nicknames for his opponents.
Schiff is Jewish?....wow....who would've known.....LOL

Upvote 0

Kentonio

Jan 25, 2018
Lyon
✟266,564.00
Country
France
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
The jury are handing the accused the ability to end the trial if the accused decides the prosecution is being unfair? And you guys actually think this is a good thing?

Also the Republicans already control the senate and the rules of impeachment do they not? Why exactly does the White House need to have control over this is any way?

• Optimistic
Reactions: whatbogsends
Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟520,644.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
The jury are handing the accused the ability to end the trial if the accused decides the prosecution is being unfair? And you guys actually think this is a good thing?

Also the Republicans already control the senate and the rules of impeachment do they not? Why exactly does the White House need to have control over this is any way?

And it is not like Trump’s base would care about any negative or illegal things coming out anyway.

Upvote 0

SimplyMe

Senior Veteran
Jul 19, 2003
the Great Basin
✟330,177.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I've heard multiple times how impeachment was going to kill Democrats at the polls this November. I actually think it has the potential of killing the Republicans at the polls.

I saw a poll last week, forgive me for not looking it up, that claimed over 70% of the voters in the US want the Senate to call and question witnesses. I have to think if the public thinks that Republicans are appearing to "cover up" -- such as voting to dismiss before any witnesses are called, or voting because Trump's teams elects to use a "kill switch" -- that is the type of things voters, particularly Independent voters, will remember in the fall.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

FireDragon76

Site Supporter
Apr 30, 2013
Orlando, Florida
✟1,262,320.00
Country
United States
Faith
United Ch. of Christ
Politics
US-Democrat
Personally I would love to have them call Adam 'Shifty' Schiff to the stand.....and then bring in the whistle blower to testify.....ooooo....wouldn't that be great theater.

Trump is on trial, not Schiff or the whistleblower.

Upvote 0

KCfromNC

Apr 18, 2007
✟487,028.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
One possibility is that they don't have any actual defense. There could be other explanations, but this one seems to fit with all the evidence so far.

Upvote 0

TLK Valentine

I've already read the books you want burned.
Apr 15, 2012
Behind the 8-ball, but ahead of the curve.
✟541,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
The thing about trials is that they are not entirely predictable. Sometimes the outcome is surprising.

Nevertheless, we can pretty much guarantee that no guilty verdicts will be found against either Schiff or the whistleblower.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,091,263.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Good, hope it keeps the Democrats in line.
Does that mean you would approve using a "kill switch" to keep President Trump in line? He steps out of line many times on a daily basis.
(Remember, the words "kill switch" would refer to "dismissing" him...I am not advocating actual killing.)

Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship

I like the request for the "whistleblower". Because it makes all sorts of sense. If the ONLY thing we had was the Whistleblower's accusations then yes, 100%, call them. But since the whistleblower is essentially just the alert system which has since yielded a TON of evidence completely verifying the initial call then I fail to see what good it would do.

Oh, I mean, I understand that the GOP would then DEMONIZE and HOUND the whistleblower in exact contravention of what whistleblower laws are set in place, but that seems like more of a call for a "circus" than actual justice.

And, "Shifty Schiff" is so clever. Donald really "speaks" to his people doesn't he? Junior high school need never end!

Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The thing about trials is that they are not entirely predictable. Sometimes the outcome is surprising.

It won't be surprising here. McConnell and Graham feel so free that they pre-emptively clearly stated they think oaths solemnly taken are jokes. Just like Trump views things like marriage vows!

• Agree
Reactions: FireDragon76
Upvote 0

The_Barmecide

Oct 10, 2019
Idaho
✟14,814.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Yeah and the “shifty Jew” trope is kinda bad looking but hey, what else can I expect from Trump and his base.

I hadn't drawn the connection. Yikes. I would actually assume that it was not intended to be anti-semitic, just alliterative. But then bigots who come up with these nicknames often have an unerring ability to tell who is what...bigot-radar. It's like some older generations who knew which actresses were black but passing as white somehow. It is very important to racists to know who everyone is so they can better understand how to be maximally racist.

But for now I'll just hope Trump's "Shifty Schiff" thing was just alliterative. But Trump is known to have a soft spot for "good people" among the neo-nazi crowd. Maybe that explains why David Duke supports Trump.

Upvote 0