• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Maybe, "three nights and three days" ?

Discussion in 'Messianic Judaism' started by AbbaLove, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+2,013
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Sure they were.

2. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution
    No they werent

3. Yeshua HaDerekh

Yeshua HaDerekh Men can dream of truth, but then cant live with it

+2,013
    Eastern Orthodox
    Private
    Sorry that you have to keep repeating yourself being wrong...

4. BukiRob

BukiRob Newbie

+959
    Messianic
    Married
    US-Constitution

Right back at you pal

5. Daniel Gregg

Daniel Gregg Messianic, House of Yisra'el

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    Briefly no, because it is quoted from Jonah 1:17 which is Hebrew and the Hebrew order is "three days and three nights" and not "three nights and three days. The matter is explained according to this chart. Your fundamental problem is the traditional assumption that a day begins at sunset. It does not.

[​IMG]

6. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    [​IMG]
    The above chart fails to realize that the third day is counted including the crucifixion. The third day from today always makes today the first day. Three days are counted like this.

[​IMG]

7. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    Traditional Judaism has many errors. One of these as pointed out by Eben Ezra and Jacob Milgrom (JPS Torah Commentary) is the teaching that a day begins at sunset. This view is not according to the Messianic Faith. Only Sabbaths begin at sunset. The rest of days begin at dawn as explained here:

[​IMG]

Source: TWOT.

8. Soyeong

Soyeong Well-Known Member

+3,104
    Messianic
    Single
    I think you made the case that "on the third day" means "the day after tomorrow", but us that the same as "three days and three nights"? I can agree that the right side of the arrow might be up to 12 hours earlier.

9. Hank77

Hank77 Well-Known Member Supporter

+10,875
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    This isn't about the sunset. I noticed that your chart says that Yeshua died on the 7th day Sabbath and quotes Lev.

Lev 23:15 `And ye have numbered to you from the morrow of the sabbath, from the day of your bringing in the sheaf of the wave-offering: they are seven perfect sabbaths;
    Lev 23:16 unto the morrow of the seventh sabbath ye do number fifty days, and ye have brought near a new present to Yehovah;

Maybe I am misunderstanding something here, but the morrow of the sabbath is the day after the sabbath. So that would be the 1st day of the week. This would be the day of omer or firstfruits. Yeshua was the Firstfruits of the Resurrection, correct?

10. Hank77

+10,875
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The last paragraph makes sense to me. This is when I personally think the Yeshua was raised from the dead. "Between the evenings" of the 7th day and the 8th day (or 1st day of the week). He ascended as the Firstfruits as the omer was being lifted up on the 8th day.
    Joh 20:17 Jesus saith to her, `Be not touching me, for I have not yet ascended unto my Father; and be going on to my brethren, and say to them, I ascend unto my Father, and your Father, and to my God, and to your God.'

11. daq

daq Messianic

+282
    Non-Denom
    Private
    An evening and a morning are a day but what about Genesis 24:11? The "time of evening" accordingly begins "about the time that the women go out to draw water", (see also John 4). Perhaps evening then consists of about five hours while the morning is seven? That would make twelve hours in a day, the light having been divided from the darkness, (though depending on the time of year not every hour is lighted completely). The time "between the evenings" would therefore consist of about five hours commencing with the going down of the sun, that is, from the hour after the sun has reached its zenith or apex in the arch of the sky and has begun its downward trek toward the shadows of the west. Every seventh hour of every day is therefore a Shabbat, (called the sabbasin in the Gospel accounts) while the seventh hour of the seventh day is a Shabbat in its Shabbat, (as it is written). If this be true then the day does not commence with the morning dawn but with the dawn of evening. Imagine the havoc this might play on the mind which reads the Gospel accounts not understanding such things: I shutter to think about it, (hehe). :)

12. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married

[​IMG]

The answer is yes. It is the same because the calendar day is a day and a night.

13. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    I'll give you three chances to heckle me. We will take the first clause of your first sentence. Here is something to sober you up from TWOT:

[​IMG]

14. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married

Re: first day of the week:

[​IMG]
    You have too much faith in human translators that run the Easter Sunday Church.

15. daq

daq Messianic

+282
    Non-Denom
    Private
    That final "hehe" in my comments was not to heckle you but rather concerning all of the theories that have been forwarded around these parts in the past month or so, (and I do not remember seeing you posting in any of them). However what you just reposted herein, which I have now quoted, I already read all of it the first time you posted it; and it does not change anything presented in my previous post:

Genesis 24:11
    11 And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.

Exodus 12:6
    6 And ye shall keep it up until the fourteenth day of the same month: and the whole assembly of the congregation of Israel shall kill it between the evenings.

Deuteronomy 16:6
    6 But at the place which the LORD thy God shall choose to place his name in, there thou shalt sacrifice the Passover at evening, at the going down of the sun, at the season that thou camest forth out of Egypt.

Evening time commences at the time for going out to draw water, (again see John 4 also because the seventh hour of the day commences in the midst of that conversation when Yeshua says, "the hour comes, and now it is"), and the Passover is to be slain between the evenings at or during the going down of the sun. The same is exactly what we find was done in all of the sources I know of. In this case the counting, (numerically) of the commencement of a day would not affect the day in which the Passover was slain so long as Exodus 12 was being strictly observed, (and it was) because the morning of that day is the fourteenth when all leaven must be purged from the houses and the land. :)

16. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    You are. The chart does not say he died on the 7th day. It says he rose from the dead on the 7th day. The Sabbath in Lev. 23:11 is the annual one-- Nisan 15.

17. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married
    Rewind Daq. This what you claimed. What is between evening and morning is a NIGHT. Genesis 1:3-5 is set up like this:

[​IMG]

18. Hank77

+10,875
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    The translation I usually use doesn't say "the week"...I use Young's Literal Translation.

Joh 20:1 And on the first of the sabbaths, Mary the Magdalene doth come early (there being yet darkness) to the tomb, and she seeth the stone having been taken away out of the tomb,

I believe this means the first of the 7 perfect sabbath weeks, the counting to the Feast of Weeks, Pentecost.

Please, no more comments such as this one.....
    "You have too much faith in human translators that run the Easter Sunday Church."
    Thanks. :)

19. Hank77

+10,875
    United States
    Non-Denom
    Married
    US-Others
    Ahh....yeah, that is what I meant, that he rose on the 7th day, that is why I spoke of Him as the Firstfruits. Can't be Firstfruits and still be in the grave.
    Sorry about that.

20. Daniel Gregg

+26
    Messianic
    Married

Your position is unclear. But you did mentioned 1st day of the week. So which is it. Sabbath or the 1st day of the week that you think he was raised on?

The first of the Sabbaths is always the weekly Sabbath after Passover:

[​IMG]