✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
been a while since I stuck my nose in... Oh, well, feet first....:droplet:

Yeshua said He would be in the earth as Jov was in the whale "3 days and 3 nights."

And in Scripture we read, Yeshua said, (Mattisyahu 12)
38 At this some of the Torah-teachers said, "Rabbi, we want to see a miraculous sign from you." 39 He replied, "A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign? No! None will be given to it but the sign of the prophet Yonah. 40 For just as Yonah was three days and three nights in the belly of the sea-monster,so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the depths of the earth.

I posit that the time of this discussion was at sunset on Tuesday (3rd day), thus making it the 4th day (Wednesday). Since one has removed all leven one is therfore forbidden from eating leven thence forth until the end of the Festival, Making it the "first day for matzah."

Scripture zstates Yeshua was sacrificed on Preparation Day....

Luke 23
It was Preparation Day, and a Shabbat was about to begin.

Yochanan 19
It was Preparation Day, and the Judeans did not want the bodies to remain on the stake on Shabbat, since it was an especially important Shabbat.

But the lambs would not be killed at the Temple until that afternoon, giving the people enough time to roast the lambs and to eat them starting between the beginning of sunset and the onset of complete darkness.

Thus, Yeshua would have raised from the grave some tie after sunset at the end of Shabbat/7th day. For Him to do this AND fulfill His promise to be in the earth "3 days and 3 nights," He would have had to be placed in the grave just before Sunset on what we call Wednesday (but to the Jews was the end of the 4th day of the week) and arose after Sunset on the end of the 7th day (Shabbat). Thus, night and day of the 5th day, night and day of the 6th day and night and day of the 7th day, making a total of 3 days and 3 nights. That is, in our parlance today: Wednesday night, Thursday day and night, Friday day and night and Saturday day - 3 days and 3 nights.

Then, Yochanan 20
1 "Early on the first day of the week, while it was still dark, Miryam from Magdala went to the tomb and saw that the stone had been removed from the tomb."

b'Shalom
Henaynei:tutu::peace:

Here we go again. The SIGN was not the 3 days/nights. It was His resurrection from the dead. Remember He also said destroy this temple and I will rebuild it IN THREE DAYS. Other scriptures say ON THE 3rd DAY and IN THREE DAYS. You imply the SIGN to believe in is that He was dead. Why would anyone believe in Him as Messiah because he was dead? Interesting "translation" you use. You might want to read the entire thread...

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
Many have been resurrected from the dead, but NOT after 3 days and 3 nights. This was long known as a sign of the Messiah, that one would raise someone who had been dead for 3 days.
Eliazar/Lasarus was raised by Yeshua when he had been in the earth for 4 days. This is the first time resurrection after 3 days was ever recorded.
Yeshua was resurrected after 3 days and 3 nights, as He said. Granted that is only part of the proof of His Messiahship, the other being that He was not raised by another, as was Eliazar, was not raised by the plea or agent of another, but resurrected Himself.

Yeshua clearly qualified the Sign of His resurrection. He did not say merely "I will rise," but specifically qualified it with "after 3 days and 3 nights.":clap:

Reactions: visionary
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

Men dream of truth, find it then cant live with it
May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Many have been resurrected from the dead, but NOT after 3 days and 3 nights. This was long known as a sign of the Messiah, that one would raise someone who had been dead for 3 days.
Eliazar/Lasarus was raised by Yeshua when he had been in the earth for 4 days. This is the first time resurrection after 3 days was ever recorded.
Yeshua was resurrected after 3 days and 3 nights, as He said. Granted that is only part of the proof of His Messiahship, the other being that He was not raised by another, as was Eliazar, was not raised by the plea or agent of another, but resurrected Himself.

Yeshua clearly qualified the Sign of His resurrection. He did not say merely "I will rise," but specifically qualified it with "after 3 days and 3 nights.":clap:

Being dead for any amount of time is not any type of sign for someone to believe in, but RISING from the dead IS! Have you not read the story of Yonah? Did the Ninevites believe because he was swallowed by a fish? No. In fact Yeshua said that the Ninevites would judge Yeshua's generation because the Ninevites believed Yonah but His own generation did not believe Yeshua. Also, the 3 days and 3 nights is an idiom of the day. It was also said in 3 days, on the 3rd day and after 3 days. You are straining at gnats...

Upvote 0

Henaynei

Sh'ma Yisrael, Adonai Echud! Al pi Adonai...
Sep 6, 2003
North Carolina - my heart is with Israel ---
✟43,691.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Constitution
no, I'm not ;) :ant:
I firmly disagree with you ;).... in your selection and weight of one part of the prophesy and discounting the other:peace:.... but, be that as it may.... Live long, and prosper :yellowheart:

Reactions: BukiRob
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
As I said multiple times, it does NOT need to be 72 hrs. You all are taking what was said out of context! It also said in 3 days. on the 3rd day, after 3 days...

And you CONTINUALLY ignore Messiah's own words with 3 days and 3 nights. It's not a subjective, vague prophecy as much as you try to make it. It is a specifically precise prophecy. As precise and accurate as the destruction of the temple occurring within that very generation.

You vainly attempt to take something that is highly specific and twist it into a vague thing in order to force it into your Good Friday tradition.

Attempting to negate his own words concerning the sign to mean he was really talking about his Resurrection and that the 3 days and 3 nights is unimportant is to show gross error.

Deuteronomy 18: 20‘But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21“You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ 22“When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

So, if Yeshua was not in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights then his utterance was not from G-d and we know this is not true since he did indeed Rise. We can not parse out what he says that is PROPHETIC and change what he says to suit our own petty contrived traditions. Especially so since Yeshua made it plain that he did nothing on his own accord but spoke only those things the Father gave him to speak.

Last edited:
Reactions: Henaynei
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
And you CONTINUALLY ignore Messiah's own words with 3 days and 3 nights. It's not a subjective, vague prophecy as much as you try to make it. It is a specifically precise prophecy. As precise and accurate as the destruction of the temple occurring within that very generation.

You vainly attempt to take something that is highly specific and twist it into a vague thing in order to force it into your Good Friday tradition.

Attempting to negate his own words concerning the sign to mean he was really talking about his Resurrection and that the 3 days and 3 nights is unimportant is to show gross error.

Deuteronomy 18: 20‘But the prophet who speaks a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he speaks in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21“You may say in your heart, ‘How will we know the word which the LORD has not spoken?’ 22“When a prophet speaks in the name of the LORD, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the LORD has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him.

So, if Yeshua was not in the grave for 3 days and 3 nights then his utterance was not from G-d and we know this is not true since he did indeed Rise. We can not parse out what he says that is PROPHETIC and change what he says to suit our own petty contrived traditions. Especially so since Yeshua made it plain that he did nothing on his own accord but spoke only those things the Father gave him to speak.

Actually that is exactly what you are doing. Forcing scripture to fit your opinion, which is wrong. So let me get this right, you are saying that the sign He is giving is that He would be dead 3 days and 3 nights? Because that is all He said. So they were supposed to believe in Him because He would be dead at some point? Also, He said after 3 days, in 3 days and on the 3rd days...no nights. Was He wrong there too? The sign was His resurrection, not His death. Everyone dies. Also, it is quite interesting that Yonah said Ninevah would be destroyed in 40 days if they did not repent and the Temple was destroyed 40 years after Yeshua's prophecy. Yeshua also said that the Ninevites would judge those that did not repent.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Actually that is exactly what you are doing. Forcing scripture to fit your opinion, which is wrong. So let me get this right, you are saying that the sign He is giving is that He would be dead 3 days and 3 nights? Because that is all He said. So they were supposed to believe in Him because He would be dead at some point? Also, He said after 3 days, in 3 days and on the 3rd days...no nights. Was He wrong there too? The sign was His resurrection, not His death. Everyone dies. Also, it is quite interesting that Yonah said Ninevah would be destroyed in 40 days if they did not repent and the Temple was destroyed 40 years after Yeshua's prophecy. Yeshua also said that the Ninevites would judge those that did not repent.

First you are claiming that I am forcing scripture. While you make this claim, you utterly FAIL to show how.

Yeshua said 3 days and 3 nights. You have complete, totally, utterly failed to show how a Wednesday crucifixion is impossible. The ONLY way you are able to assert your MAN MADE TRADITION is true is by changing what Messiah say by claiming "well, he really didn't mean what he said"

You BLINDLY ignore the entire context of what he is saying

Was Jonah in the belly of the fish for 3 days and 3 nights? YES OR NO!?

He was! Scripture makes that PLAIN

Jonah 1:17 And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

I suppose in your view that Well, it wasn't actually 3 days and 3 nights literally....

Matthew 12:40 for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

It gets no clearer, no more straightforward than this.

You are DIRECTLY contending with Scripture and you are setting aside the TRUTH and exchanging it for a MAN MADE TRADITION

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
First you are claiming that I am forcing scripture. While you make this claim, you utterly FAIL to show how.

Yeshua said 3 days and 3 nights. You have complete, totally, utterly failed to show how a Wednesday crucifixion is impossible. The ONLY way you are able to assert your MAN MADE TRADITION is true is by changing what Messiah say by claiming "well, he really didn't mean what he said"

You BLINDLY ignore the entire context of what he is saying

Was Jonah in the belly of the fish for 3 days and 3 nights? YES OR NO!?

He was! Scripture makes that PLAIN

Jonah 1:17 And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah was in the stomach of the fish three days and three nights.

I suppose in your view that Well, it wasn't actually 3 days and 3 nights literally....

Matthew 12:40 for just as JONAH WAS THREE DAYS AND THREE NIGHTS IN THE BELLY OF THE SEA MONSTER, so will the Son of Man be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.

It gets no clearer, no more straightforward than this.

You are DIRECTLY contending with Scripture and you are setting aside the TRUTH and exchanging it for a MAN MADE TRADITION

And you ignore all the other things he said to force your theory...He also said in 3 days, on the 3rd day and after 3 days...no nights mentioned, yet you ignore those because they do not fit your opinion. The road to Emmaus eyewitness account proves you totally wrong too. The crucifixion "might" have been on Thursday (depending if your count exclusively) but definitely happened on Friday (if you count biblically inclusively).

So they buy lambs 4 days before sacrifice, so do you accept they bought them on the Sabbath or will you have to admit I am correct regarding part of day is counted as a whole day for your Wednesday crucifixion theory??? Didn't think of that did ya Einstein? You obviously can not and will not understand simple idioms from scripture but instead strain at a gnat and swallow a camel! What was that? Oh, that was you burping...

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Wednesday could not have been the day of crucifixion...lambs on the 10th...killed on the 14th. The 10th would have been on the Sabbath, 11th Sunday, 12th Monday, 13th Tuesday and 14th Wednesday. Jews were out buying lambs on the Sabbath? The earliest it could have been was on Thursday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

visionary

Your God is my God... Ruth said, so say I.
Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
Jewish historians record that the lambs were brought from the fields of Bethlehem to the south up to Jerusalem and through the Northeast gate of the city by the pool of Bethesda, called the “Sheep’s Gate”. Because the sheep of Bethlehem were owned by the Sadducees, only these sheep were allowed to be sacrificed on Passover. Families could comply with the instructions from Exodus 12 by choosing the lambs the afternoon of the 9th so that they would be with the family from the 10th (which began at sundown) through the 14th.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Jewish historians record that the lambs were brought from the fields of Bethlehem to the south up to Jerusalem and through the Northeast gate of the city by the pool of Bethesda, called the “Sheep’s Gate”. Because the sheep of Bethlehem were owned by the Sadducees, only these sheep were allowed to be sacrificed on Passover. Families could comply with the instructions from Exodus 12 by choosing the lambs the afternoon of the 9th so that they would be with the family from the 10th (which began at sundown) through the 14th.

There is still the problem of the Emmaus account either way. A Wednesday crucifixion is impossible. Thursday would be the earliest...

Upvote 0

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
There is still the problem of the Emmaus account either way. A Wednesday crucifixion is impossible. Thursday would be the earliest...
Thursday through Friday accounts do not solve the women purchasing before Sabbath, preparing spicing after Sabbath during Preparation day.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Thursday through Friday accounts do not solve the women purchasing before Sabbath, preparing spicing after Sabbath during Preparation day.

The women would have had enough time to get them while Yeshua was being put in the tomb before sunset.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

visionary

Site Supporter
Mar 25, 2004
✟575,142.44
Faith
Messianic
The women would have had enough time to get them while Yeshua was being put in the tomb before sunset.
They were too poor to buy pre-packaged.. it would be a hunt and pick job that would take much of the day finding all the right merchants.

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
They were too poor to buy pre-packaged.. it would be a hunt and pick job that would take much of the day finding all the right merchants.

But neither Nicodemus or Joseph of Arimathea were poor...and they had servants who would have been the ones to buy the spices. Also, 100 lbs of myrrh and aloe was way more than they needed for the initial burial.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Mark 16:
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him. 2Very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?”

Upvote 0

Yeshua HaDerekh

May 9, 2013
Eretz
✟317,562.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
Mark 16:
1When the Sabbath was over, Mary Magdalene, and Mary the mother of James, and Salome, bought spices, so that they might come and anoint Him. 2Very early on the first day of the week, they came to the tomb when the sun had risen. 3They were saying to one another, “Who will roll away the stone for us from the entrance of the tomb?”

καὶ Σαλώμη ἠγόρασαν ἀρώματα ἵνα Having bought or had bought. So they already had the spices. More than likely they were part of the extra spices Joseph and Nicodemus had bought on Friday. They bought 100 lbs, WAY more than they needed to bury one person.

Upvote 0

BukiRob

Dec 14, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
✟50,619.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
καὶ Σαλώμη ἠγόρασαν ἀρώματα ἵνα Having bought or had bought. So they already had the spices. More than likely they were part of the extra spices Joseph and Nicodemus had bought on Friday. They bought 100 lbs, WAY more than they needed to bury one person.
Except it wasn't purchased on Friday....

Upvote 0