✟52,769.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
How many times shall we forgive one another? According to the NIV Bible:
Matthew 18:22New International Version (NIV)
22 Jesus answered, “I tell you, not seven times, but seventy-seven times.

But according to the kjv Bible seventy times seven.

Are these Bible versions saying the same thing?

• Friendly
Reactions: brinny

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

I dont know which translation is the best one, but regardless they are saying the same thing, imo. They teach us to forgive always.

Matthew 6:15 But if you do not forgive men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just a handful of comparisons:

(ASV) Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times; but, Until seventy times seven.
(BBE) Jesus says to him, I say not to you, Till seven times; but, Till seventy times seven.
(Darby) Jesus says to him, I say not to thee until seven times, but until seventy times seven.
(DRB) Jesus saith to him: I say not to thee, till seven times; but till seventy times seven times.
(ERV) Jesus answered, "I tell you, you must forgive them more than seven times. You must continue to forgive them even if they do wrong to you seventy-seven times."
(ISV) Jesus told him, "I tell you, not just seven times, but 77 times!
(KJV) Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

Of these only the ISV (International Standard Version) compares to the NIV (Nearly Inspired Version).

But the point remains the same, unlimited forgiveness.

• Winner
Reactions: Alicia Schout
Upvote 0

Acts2:38

Apr 14, 2017
Naples
✟71,708.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello,

**Because I don't wish anyone to get too offended and hotty, my disclaimer here is that I am not attacking anyone, or attacking anyone for reading the NIV.

The NIV is about as good as a paper weight at the bottom of a trash can. The NIV rearranges verses around to fit man made doctrines more. It also completely removes verses right out of the scriptures.

Example:

KJV = Acts 8:36-38
36 And as they went on their way, they came unto a certain water: and the eunuch said, See, here is water; what doth hinder me to be baptized?

[verse to look at]37 And Philip said, If thou believest with all thine heart, thou mayest. And he answered and said, I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God.

38 And he commanded the chariot to stand still: and they went down both into the water, both Philip and the eunuch; and he baptized him.

NIV = Acts 8:36-38

36 As they traveled along the road, they came to some water and the eunuch said, “Look, here is water. What can stand in the way of my being baptized?”

38 And he gave orders to stop the chariot. Then both Philip and the eunuch went down into the water and Philip baptized him.

The NIV completely removed verse 37. This is just one example too. You will find other places that are completely taken out or rearranged to fit an agenda of doctrine.

Also, it is better to grab what is called a "literal" translation.

The ASV and KJV are literal. The NIV is not.

Upvote 0

Swan7

Made in the image of His Grace
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2014
Forever Summer
✟435,986.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I read the KJV because God led me to that version specifically for me to read. I do use other versions as well, but my main is KJV. Why? Because God knows what's best for me and to lean on Him more than my own understanding. Don't let man tell you what to version to read. Let God be your guide as He is to me and everyone else who listens to Him.

As for Matthew 18:22, yes, the KJV also says the same thing. That's what's so awesome about God! He can open the eyes of those regardless of what "version" they read! God's Word is attaked every second of every day with whatever method.
:yellowheart:

Upvote 0

AlexDTX

Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2015
✟328,934.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The NIV is about as good as a paper weight at the bottom of a trash can. The NIV rearranges verses around to fit man made doctrines more. It also completely removes verses right out of the scriptures.
That is hilarious!

Upvote 0

EpicScore

Sep 16, 2017
✟41,079.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
According to some commentators, the Greek rendering of the text is seventy-and-sevenfold, which would refer to 77 rather than 70x7.

In any case, the phrase refers to a symbolic statement of the infinite (as 7 refers to conpletion/perfection and the repetition refers to an increase in magnitude, along the same lines as saying "Lord of lords" and "King of kings"), so it's quite irrelevant to argue which translation is more "correct" unless one really understands the depths of the numeric symbology used in the verse. Some may prefer the 70x7 reading because it results in a greater number (490), closer to the infinite.

It probably ties in to the portion of the Lord's prayer which says "forgive us our sins as we forgive those who sins against us". We constantly turn our backs on Christ by falling into the same sins over and over again yet He still forgives us. So we are called to do the same for others.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2L
Upvote 0