✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Self explanatory really:
So there is a wide gate and a broad way that leads to destruction. Destruction is destruction. How can a thing be saved once it has been destroyed? The salvation of anything must occur prior to destruction.
But (in contrast to the former part of the statement) there is a small gate and narrow way that leads to life, and only a few find it (as opposed to the many that do not find it and who prefer to take the broad way to destruction).

With God all is possible, Jesus said. Evidently "destruction" can be reversed:

Thou turnest man to destruction; and sayest, Return, ye children of men. (Psa. 90:3)

Jesus answered them, “Destroy this temple, and I will raise it again in three days.” (Jn.2:19)

Destruction can be a good thing:

hand this man over to Satan for the destruction of the flesh, so that his spirit may be saved on the day of the Lord.…(1 Cor.5:5)

Destruction includes the meaning of ruin & loss:

"Short Definition: destruction, ruin, loss"

"684 /apṓleia ("perdition") does not imply "annihilation" (see the meaning of the root-verb, 622 /apóllymi, "cut off") but instead "loss of well-being" rather than being(Vine's Expository Dictionary, 165; cf. Jn 11:50; Ac 5:37; 1 Cor 10:9-10; Jude 11)."

Strong's Greek: 684. ἀπώλεια (apóleia) -- destruction, loss

In Acts 25:16 the word is used of death. Likewise in Deut.4:26, Esth.7:4, Prov.6:15, Isa.34:5, LXX. Yet death is temporary & will be reversed with the resurrection of all. So destruction does not have to mean finality or an irreversible state. Neither does it necessarily mean when applied to humans that they can't be saved. That has to be read into the text with fallible human opinion.

Apoleia is from apollumi which is used of the "lost" prodigal son who became "found", as well as the "lost" coin & sheep that were found (Luke 15). So clearly there is the possibility of salvation after being destroyed/lost.

1: the state or fact of being destroyed : ruin . scenes of death and destruction . the destruction of their careers
2: the action or process of destroying something . the destruction of the building
3: a destroying agency .Alcohol will be his destruction.

Definition of DESTRUCTION

But (in contrast to the former part of the statement) there is a small gate and narrow way that leads to life, and only a few find it (as opposed to the many that do not find it and who prefer to take the broad way to destruction).

Find it. That's present tense. Not necessarily indicative of final destiny. Or how many or few would be "finding it" in the 2000 years after Christ, in the millennium, or thereafter.

Matthew 7:14 Interlinear: how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Young's Literal Translation
how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Matthew 7:14 is in the present tense, few "finding" it, speaking of that particular time, not of final destiny. Earlier in Matthew final destiny was already revealed re salvation:

Mt.1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.
Mt.2:6b ...my people Israel.

"Pay attention to the Greek verb tenses.
“Enter (eiselthate | εἰσέλθατε | aor act imperative 2 pl) through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and easy the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter
(eiserchomenoi | εἰσερχόμενοι | pres mid ptcp nom pl masc) through it. Matt 7:13"

"How narrow is the gate and difficult the way that leads to life, and few are those who find (heuriskontes | εὑρίσκοντες | pres act ptcp nom pl masc) it! Matt 7:14"

"In v.13 the word for 'enter' is the Greek word 'eiserchomenoi' which as noted is a present tense participle more accurately translated as 'entering.' Thus all this verse is saying is that there are many who are presently entering the wide gate. This verse does not refer at all to sometime in the future where people may or may not be resurrected out of the lake of fire. If it did, this verse would employ the future tense of the verb - but it doesn't. We can only say what this verse states - simply that when Jesus spoke these words, many are entering the broad gate/road."

"Same thing with v.14. The word for 'find' is 'heuriskontes' which is a present tense participle. Thus few people are currently 'finding' the narrow gate. No reference at all to the future."

Jesus speaks of "few" finding it. At that time. He does not state how many or few would be finding it in the following 2000 years after that, up to our present time. Or the millennium also, etc. Paul says "many" will be saved (Rom.5:18-19). Why would Paul say that? Do you think he was not aware of what Jesus said re "few"?

Jesus does not say that the "destruction" in view is endless, or final destiny, or non corrective, so why should i accept that this passage necessarily proves universalism false?

If the Lord had wanted to speak of "endless destruction" He had perfectly suitable Greek words to express such an idea, e.g. "no end" (Lk.1:33), "endless" (1 Tim.1:4), "eternal" (Rom.1:20). The fact Scripture - never - uses such expressions re the future destiny of those who die in their sins is evidence against endless annihilation or torments.

https://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Blade

Veteran
Site Supporter
Dec 29, 2002
USA
✟630,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Great chapter. How can one miss "everyone that asks.. receives" Anyway. Not sure how one gets "salvation" from that verse you talk about.

Reading before and after.. I get just what He said. And salvation? Which one there would understand? He has not even died yet. Nicodemus could not understand "born again" or born from above.

It is for me in this life which Christ was talking about. In this world.. WIDE is the gate that leads to destruction. And narrow is the road that leads to life. WOW if one can not see this must be blind. And since when does God take something away He gives? Please if were going to quote Job lets remember "I spoke of things I did not understand".

I don't ever question salvation. Nor can i understand who would. This question NEVER comes from our Father or Yeshua or the sweet sweet Holy Spirit. You ARE or you are not. And WHAT was made NEW? How in the WORLD is some human of this world going to UNDO that? You can not. We have not that power. And to add to that.. no where in the word does it even talk hint at this. HAHA... I go back to what I didnt even think of when I typed it.. at the start.

To you.. that one ..you know what I mean when I say "KNOWS the Father". Easy to get Him to say "NO" is it? No lie.. 2 times in my life. When I was in my 20's I kissed this girl once and a HUGE "NO" all in white back ground. The other was when I said "why dont you just force everyone to get saved? He came right back with "DONT EVER say that again".

Some never meant it...some do. Who they are? PRAISE GOD we dont get to know or make that choice. See believe all things.. we see the GOOD in everyone 1st. Every day that passes.. HE IS COMING

Reactions: lamb7
Upvote 0

Brokenhill

Praise God, i'm satisifed.
Jul 26, 2015
Arizona
✟19,363.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
My point is not "moot". You haven't demonstrated from Mt.7:13-14 any reference to a "final judgement" of that generation let alone all mankind. Or even that such a judgement precludes corrective punishment thereafter till all are saved. Or that Mt.7 references separate destinies in the millennial age kingdom of Christ.

Jesus speaks of "few" finding it. At that time. He does not state how many or few would be finding it in the following 2000 years after that, up to our present time. Or the millennium also, etc. Paul says "many" will be saved (Rom.5:18-19). Why would Paul say that? Do you think he was not aware of what Jesus said re "few"?

Jesus does not say that the "destruction" in view is endless, or final destiny, or non corrective, so why should i accept that this passage necessarily proves universalism false?

If the Lord had wanted to speak of "endless destruction" He had perfectly suitable Greek words to express such an idea, e.g. "no end" (Lk.1:33), "endless" (1 Tim.1:4), "eternal" (Rom.1:20). The fact Scripture - never - uses such expressions re the future destiny of those who die in their sins is evidence against endless annihilation or torments.

Committees of pro HellFire Club folks clone pro endless hell versions after their own preconceived dogma of endless punishment. They distort the truth & decieve the masses. They sell a lot of books. OTOH early church father universalists who were native Greek speakers & Greek scholars knew better.

(Note, i'm going to include the entirety of chapter 7 at the end of this post for reference)

1. If we look at the immediate context of the entire chapter we see: (A) Proper judgment between man and man to be without hypocrisy; (B) Keeping sacred matters sacred; (C) God granting good things to those who seek Him; (D); Choose to love others as you would love yourself; (E) Obedience to God's will will "bear good fruit" and make clear that one is on God's side; (F) Man's free will must be exercised to "build his house" [spiritual house] on the proper foundation or else man will be destroyed; and (G) Jesus' authority was clearly seen.

The main topic is judgment between God and man. Vs. 13-14 is the introduction, but when looking at vs. 15-20 + 24-27, it's important to note the concept of repentance...not doing evil and instead doing God's will...building upon the foundation of Christ's teaching.

Now, look at vs. 21-23. This is talking about a future judgment (the final one)--"in that day". In the final judgment, Jesus says not all will enter into heaven.
So after reading the entire context, particularly from vs. 13- to the end...we can then go back to vs. 13-14 and know that Jesus is indeed talking about the final judgment when He speaks of "the strait gate".

2. "Corrective punishment"--if you're referring to something after death like purgatory, such a concept is found nowhere in scripture that I'm aware of. Therefor, the burden of proof is on you ( by providing scripture). My stance is that I have no reason to believe in it if God did not reveal it in His holy Word.

3. The Gospel is the Gospel. What Jesus preached while He was on earth is what His apostles & disciples continued to preach after his ascension into heaven. We have no reason to believe this teaching of Christ was subject to time limits of applicability.

Why did Paul say "many" will be saved? Paul was making a different point than Jesus was in Matthew 7. Paul was contrasting between Adam and Jesus. We were not in the garden of Eden, only Adam & Eve were...and Adam sinned, obviously without any of us who came after being able to do anything about it. One man sinned, resulting in the world of chaos and turmoil where Satan has temporal power, in which billions and billions of people have been a part of.
On the flip side, Jesus, the only perfect human to ever live...by His righteousness alone many will be saved. None of us who have existed before Christ or after could ever do anything to earn by works God's grace. Just like we can't do anything about Adam's sin...we also can't do anything about Jesus's perfection + sacrifice...(A) we can't save ourselves, and (B) we couldn't have done anything to prevent God from being so loving to proceed with His plan of the Messiah.

Let's continue looking at the immediate context of Romans 5. Just a few verses after 19 is Romans 6:1-2 (which is all part of the same discussion). And that reads "What, then, shall we say? shall we continue in the sin that the grace may abound? 2 let it not be! we who died to the sin -- how shall we still live in it?"

Paul reinforces the point Jesus made time and time again--though God's grace is so awesome and immense, there's this concept of repentance as a part of God's plan. God offers us the gift of salvation, but we have to choose to take it! One of the ways in which we do that is turning from sins.

Also, side note: "many" does not mean "all".

4. We must remember that the Gospel was taught and written down, ultimately to be understood by unlearned and poor citizens. Jesus Himself picked uneducated people to be His apostles--this is significant!
When we approach scripture, we should read it as it is to be naturally understood. Yes, we must realize that some passages are allegorical, or poetic, or in rare cases use intense symbolism (such as Revelation)....but by and large, the NT is written very plainly to be understood by the common man.

So my point is, don't necessarily overthink things!

God is not obligated to speak out against every individual heresy and false teaching in the world, whether it be universalism, or Muhammad as the final prophet. God only speaks truth. And truth has not revealed the concept of "corrective punishment" or universalism anywhere in the NT--therefor we should not imagine up those false doctrines! We should be careful not to read into the text concepts that are not there.
Time and time again, Jesus talks about the final judgment and He defines that as deciding if some go to eternal life and eternal torment ("gehenna" or hell).
Mark 9:47-48 "47 And if thine eye may cause thee to stumble, cast it out; it is better for thee one-eyed to enter into the reign of God, than having two eyes, to be cast to the gehenna of the fire --48 where their worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched;"

5. Once again, be careful with language and translation unless you are deeply involved with ancient texts. Thousands of scholars have understood the passages of Jesus such as these as meaning eternal life and eternal torment.

The word for "eternal" that you posted in Romans 1:20 ("aidios") also appears in Jude 1:6
"6 messengers also, those who did not keep their own principality, but did leave their proper dwelling, to a judgment of a great day, in bonds everlasting, under darkness He hath kept,

God is currently keeping rebellious angels (such as those in the story of Sodom with Lot) in eternal bondage until the final judgment. If He punishes rebellious angels eternally, why can't He punish rebellious humans eternally?

6. I am concerned because you are afraid of this so-called biased dogma of eternal punishment believers, and yet you are going to great lengths to attempt and see things between the lines of scripture that are clearly written! And worse yet, you are linking me a PDF written by MAN! I encourage you, friend, to look at ALL scripture equally as it is naturally written. Jesus was simple in His teachings.

1 Timothy 3:16-17 "16 every Writing* [is] God-breathed, and profitable for teaching, for conviction, for setting aright, for instruction that [is] in righteousness,
17 that the man of God may be fitted -- for every good work having been completed.

*Meaning God's word as written in the OT + NT.

7. The early church fathers DID believe in eternal punishment:
I'm just point to post a few early ones, as listed in the 'Dictionary of Early Christian Beliefs' complied by David Bercot:

Barnabas AD 17-130 "The way of darkness is crooked, and it is full of cursing. It is the way of eternal death with punishment."

Letter to Diogenetus, AD 125-200: "You should fear what is truly death, which is reserved for those who will be condemned to the eternal fire. It will afflict those who are committed to it even to the end.

Justin Martyr, AD 160: "He goes to the everlasting punishment of fire"

Irenaus, AD 180: "He will send into eternal fire those who transform the truth and who despise His Father and His coming"

But I admit I am not versed in the contexts of all these writings, and I don't want to use these quotes as proof-texts. However, I would strongly recommend to listen to the sermons by David Bercot on YouTube titled "What the Early Christians Believed about Eternal Security" and "What the Early Christians Believed about Salvation" etc, as he is familiar with their writings in their entirety.

Regardless, I do not need the early church fathers to prove that the SCRIPTURES teach against universalism.
2 for in what judgment ye judge, ye shall be judged, and in what measure ye measure, it shall be measured to you.
3 `And why dost thou behold the mote that [is] in thy brother's eye, and the beam that [is] in thine own eye dost not consider?
4 or, how wilt thou say to thy brother, Suffer I may cast out the mote from thine eye, and lo, the beam [is] in thine own eye?
5 Hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then thou shalt see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

6 `Ye may not give that which is [holy] to the dogs, nor cast your pearls before the swine, that they may not trample them among their feet, and having turned -- may rend you.

7 `Ask, and it shall be given to you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened to you;
8 for every one who is asking doth receive, and he who is seeking doth find, and to him who is knocking it shall be opened.
9 `Or what man is of you, of whom, if his son may ask a loaf -- a stone will he present to him?
10 and if a fish he may ask -- a serpent will he present to him?
11 if, therefore, ye being evil, have known good gifts to give to your children, how much more shall your Father who [is] in the heavens give good things to those asking him?

12 `All things, therefore, whatever ye may will that men may be doing to you, so also do to them, for this is the law and the prophets.

13 `Go ye in through the strait gate, because wide [is] the gate, and broad the way that is leading to the destruction, and many are those going in through it;
14 how strait [is] the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

15 `But, take heed of the false prophets, who come unto you in sheep's clothing, and inwardly are ravening wolves.
16 From their fruits ye shall know them; do [men] gather from thorns grapes? or from thistles figs?
17 so every good tree doth yield good fruits, but the bad tree doth yield evil fruits.
18 A good tree is not able to yield evil fruits, nor a bad tree to yield good fruits.
19 Every tree not yielding good fruit is cut down and is cast to fire:
20 therefore from their fruits ye shall know them.

21 `Not every one who is saying to me Lord, lord, shall come into the reign of the heavens; but he who is doing the will of my Father who is in the heavens.
22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, lord, have we not in thy name prophesied? and in thy name cast out demons? and in thy name done many mighty things?
23 and then I will acknowledge to them, that -- I never knew you, depart from me ye who are working lawlessness.
24 `Therefore, every one who doth hear of me these words, and doth do them, I will liken him to a wise man who built his house upon the rock;
25 and the rain did descend, and the streams came, and the winds blew, and they beat on that house, and it fell not, for it had been founded on the rock.
26 `And every one who is hearing of me these words, and is not doing them, shall be likened to a foolish man who built his house upon the sand;
27 and the rain did descend, and the streams came, and the winds blew, and they beat on that house, and it fell, and its fall was great.'

28 And it came to pass, when Jesus ended these words, the multitudes were astonished at his teaching,
29 for he was teaching them as having authority, and not as the scribes."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Now, look at vs. 21-23. This is talking about a future judgment (the final one)--"in that day". In the final judgment, Jesus says not all will enter into heaven.
So after reading the entire context, particularly from vs. 13- to the end...we can then go back to vs. 13-14 and know that Jesus is indeed talking about the final judgment when He speaks of "the strait gate".

Mt.7:21-23...Jesus says to the wicked "depart from Me".

Matthew 7 does not say "Depart from me and i will never love you anymore, but hate you with perfect hatred that
has no end, as you deserve"

Actually His remarks seem pretty lame & light in comparison to what He could have said, if He wanted to.

"Depart from Me". Big deal! Compared to endless punishment it's next to nothing.

The word "forever" is no part of Mt.7:21.

Mt.7:21 does not deny that all will eventually do God's will and enter the kingdom.

Everyone starts out not doing God's will. Does that mean no one can enter the Kingdom of God and it will be empty forever?

Mt.1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Matthew 7:23 refers to what happens on a "day", not final destiny when God will be "All in all" (1 Cor.15:22-28).

The verse places no time limits on when one can do the will of God.

Matthew 7 says some will not get into heaven on judgement day. It doesn't say they will never get into heaven. In fact they eventually will, as the same author wrote a few chapters earlier:

Romans 11:26 And so all Israel shall be saved: as it is written, There shall come out of Sion the Deliverer, and shall turn away ungodliness from Jacob:
27 For this is my covenant unto them, when I shall take away their sins.
32 For God has imprisoned all in disobedience, so that He may have mercy on all.

1 Corinthians 15:22 For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ shall all be made alive... 28 And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Jn.1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, "Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

"What kind of God would call billions of people into being, knowing that was the unimaginably horrible outcome? The words callous, selfish, and unloving came to mind for me.
Speaking of love..."

George MacDonald Saved My Life - George MacDonald Quotes - User Rated Quotes

my threads:

Have you been decieved by your Bible translation?

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Augustine's ignorance & error re Matthew 25:46

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Why did Paul say "many" will be saved? Paul was making a different point than Jesus was in Matthew 7. Paul was contrasting between Adam and Jesus. We were not in the garden of Eden, only Adam & Eve were...and Adam sinned, obviously without any of us who came after being able to do anything about it. One man sinned, resulting in the world of chaos and turmoil where Satan has temporal power, in which billions and billions of people have been a part of.
On the flip side, Jesus, the only perfect human to ever live...by His righteousness alone many will be saved. None of us who have existed before Christ or after could ever do anything to earn by works God's grace. Just like we can't do anything about Adam's sin...we also can't do anything about Jesus's perfection + sacrifice...(A) we can't save ourselves, and (B) we couldn't have done anything to prevent God from being so loving to proceed with His plan of the Messiah.

Brokenhill,

So why would Jesus say "few" saved & Paul "many"? I don't see how you've addressed that or, as i said:

Let's continue looking at the immediate context of Romans 5. Just a few verses after 19 is Romans 6:1-2 (which is all part of the same discussion). And that reads "What, then, shall we say? shall we continue in the sin that the grace may abound? 2 let it not be! we who died to the sin -- how shall we still live in it?"

Paul reinforces the point Jesus made time and time again--though God's grace is so awesome and immense, there's this concept of repentance as a part of God's plan. God offers us the gift of salvation, but we have to choose to take it! One of the ways in which we do that is turning from sins.

Also, side note: "many" does not mean "all".

Romans 5:18-19 does not deny repentance & faith. That is the way to obtain the life & justification it speaks of, therefore ALL will obtain it, & obtain it in that way:

Rom 5:18 Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for all mankind for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for all mankind for life's justifying."

Rom 5:19 For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, the many shall be constituted just."

Paul makes a parallel between "the many" who were condemned & sinners and those who will be justified & constituted just.

“In Romans 5, the justification is co-extensive with the condemnation. Since all share in one, all share in the other. If only a certain portion of the human race had partaken of the sin of Adam, only a certain portion would partake of the justification of Christ. But St. Paul affirms all to have been involved in one, and all to be included in the other.”

Therefore there is salvation after death. And corrective punishment.

Is there salvation after death?

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Time and time again, Jesus talks about the final judgment and He defines that as deciding if some go to eternal life and eternal torment ("gehenna" or hell).
Mark 9:47-48 "47 And if thine eye may cause thee to stumble, cast it out; it is better for thee one-eyed to enter into the reign of God, than having two eyes, to be cast to the gehenna of the fire --48 where their worm is not dying, and the fire is not being quenched;"

v. 49 "For everyone will be salted with fire."

Nothing there says tortures are endless. Instead it refers to a fire and worm. And a fire that is not quenched can end or burn out on it's own, as proven by:

"Let us see how the word "asbestos (unquenchable) was used by the Greeks. Strabo calls it the lamp in the Parthenon, and Plutarch calls the sacred fire of a temple "unquenchable," though they were extinguished long ago. Josephus, the Jewish Priest who saw the destruction of Jerusalem says that the fire on the altar of the temple at Jerusalem was "always unquenchable" abeston aei, yet he was there when the fire on the altar was forever extinguished. Eusibius, the church historian who lived in Constantine's day says that certain martyrs of Alexandria "were burned in unquenchable fire." The fire was put out within an hour! Homer speaks of "unquenchable laughter" asbestos gelos, (Iliad, I: 599)"

Bible Threatening Explained

Nothing here says they stay in Gehenna for endless ages, so can't come out. Neither does it say that while in Gehenna there is no salvation. In the book of Revelation the gates into the city of God are always open. God says He is making "all" new (21:5).

unquenchabe is limited not endless...ancient examples given here:

A key to Universalism

Mark 9:43: "into Gehenna, into the unextinguished fire." First, the word "unquenchable" in the Bible is translated from the Greek word asbestos which simply means "not quenched." In itself, that is not the same as "not ABLE to be quenched" or "unquenchable." It is similar to God's judgments being without appeal "until they have finished all his plans:"

"The fierce anger of the LORD will not diminish until it has finished all his plans. In the days to come, you will understand all this.."(Jer 30:24).

As for an immortal worm that never dies, some ECT commentators say it refers to the immortal soul. ECTers can't agree amongst themselves what it means & Jesus didn't elaborate. In Isaiah 66 the worm is spoken of in the same verse that speaks of "corpses". So, they could be eating dead bodies during the millennial age eon.

"Perhaps unbeknownst to many traditionalists who cite this verse as a challenge to conditionalism, Jesus is quoting Isaiah 66:24 here, in which it is said explicitly that it is
corpses being consumed by fire and maggots—not living beings. Those traditionalists who are aware of this nevertheless insist that the worm is depicted as never dying and the fire as never going out. But this is not what these idioms communicate."

"The phrase “does not die” is used several times in the Hebrew scripture and does not mean will never die (Genesis 42:20; Exodus 30:20; Jeremiah 38:24). It means that someone or something will not die at a particular time or in a particular context."

how do people who believe in eternal torture in fire

So such references could be about eating sinners sins or evil flesh nature till it is gone.

my threads:

Have you been decieved by your Bible translation?

For the Lord will NOT cast off FOR EVER:

Augustine's ignorance & error re Matthew 25:46
"Interesting aside, for what it may mean to anyone... Maggots are making a comeback in modern medicine. They gently debride wounds in a way no surgeon, however subtle, could possibly achieve. (Medical Maggots™ (maggot therapy, maggot debridement therapy, MDT, biotherapy, biosurgery, biodebridement, larval therapy) | Monarch Labs - Advanced Wound BioSurgery) They nibble away the dead and decaying cells, allowing healthy, new, regenerated cells to thrive instead. Maggots only eat dead tissue, leaving the living tissue to thrive. I think there's a big parallel there, but maybe I'm taking the "book of nature" to extremes. My husband's doctor at Mayo
told me they had them there, available by prescription only--special hygienic ones, of course! :lol: "

"All these things we consider to be bad (by knee-jerk reaction at least) can also be seen as good--judgment, brimstone (aka sulfur & also used in medicine then and now), even maggots. Fire also is used in scripture as symbolic of purification--and we mustn't forget the nature of our God, who is, we're told, "a consuming fire."

Login

"Now, salt too, just as the divine fire, is associated with the
eschatological test in Mark 9:49, a text I have already analysed, where this fire is presented as purifying and performing the disinfecting function of salt: “all will be salted by this fire,” if they have lost their salt in this life."
(Ilaria Ramelli, The Christian Doctrine of Apokatastasis: A Critical Assessment from the New Testament to Eriugena (Brill, 2013. 890 pp., p.53)

"Truly I say to you, you will not come out of there [Gehenna]
until you have paid up the last cent. The word ―until unmistakably confirms Gehenna is of a limited duration. Once the penalty is exacted, release follows, but not before. Note He addressed these words to a mixed audience of believers and unbelievers (Mt. 5:1;7:28; 8:1). (See also Mt. 18:34-35)." http://www.tentmaker.org/books/hope_beyond_hell.pdf

Jn.1:29 The next day John saw Jesus coming toward him and said, “Look, the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!

4:39 Many of the Samaritans from that town believed in him because of the woman’s testimony, “He told me everything I ever did.” 40 So when the Samaritans came to him, they urged him to stay with them, and he stayed two days. 41 And because of his words many more became believers.
42 They said to the woman, “We no longer believe just because of what you said; now we have heard for ourselves, and we know that this man really is the Savior of the world.”

John 12:32 And I, when I am lifted up from the earth, will draw all people to myself.”

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Once again, be careful with language and translation unless you are deeply involved with ancient texts. Thousands of scholars have understood the passages of Jesus such as these as meaning eternal life and eternal torment.

And 1000's of scholars have found that questionable or understood that endless torments is not taught in such passages or that Scripture teaches universalism.

The Church Fathers on Universalism

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church

The Beautiful Heresy- Christian Universalism: The Early Church

>Believers and Supporters of Christian Universalism

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The word for "eternal" that you posted in Romans 1:20("aidios") also appears in Jude 1:6
"6 messengers also, those who did not keep their own principality, but did leave their proper dwelling, to a judgment of a great day, in bonds everlasting, under darkness He hath kept,

God is currently keeping rebellious angels (such as those in the story of Sodom with Lot) in eternal bondage until the final judgment. If He punishes rebellious angels eternally, why can't He punish rebellious humans eternally?

Satan & demons will be saved by Love Omnipotent. Is anything too difficult for the Almighty? Jesus said, With God all things are possible. Scripture confirms this:

Colossians 1:15-20
15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn over all creation. 16 For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.

17 And He is before all things, and in Him all things consist. 18 And He is the head of the body, the church, who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in all things He may have the pre-eminence.

19 For it pleased the Father that in Him all the fullness should dwell, 20 and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having made peace through the blood of His cross.

John speaks of "every creature" & to emphasize this again he repeats "and all that are in them":

Rev.5:13 And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour,
and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.

This worship (v.13) uses the same worshipful words as the redeemed of vs 9-10 use in v.12:

12 Saying with a loud voice, Worthy is the Lamb that was slain to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing.

All this being in the context of salvation - "the Lamb that was slain" (v.12 & 13).

"The love of God is greater far
Than tongue or pen can ever tell
It goes beyond the highest star
And reaches to the lowest hell"

The guilty pair, bowed down with care
God gave His Son to win
His erring child He reconciled
And pardoned from his sin

Could we with ink the ocean fill
And were the skies of parchment made
Were every stalk on earth a quill
And every man a scribe by trade

To write the love of God above
Would drain the ocean dry
Nor could the scroll contain the whole
Though stretched from sky to sky

Hallelujah
Hallelujah
Hallelujah

O love of God, how rich and pure!
How measureless and strong!

Christian universalism--Ultimate Reconcilation: The True "Good News" Gospel of the Bible

Unique Proof For Christian, Biblical Universalism

Universalism – The Truth Shall Make You Free

http://www.hopebeyondhell.net/articles/further-study/eternity/

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And worse yet, you are linking me a PDF written by MAN!

Yet you posted a list of English translation quotes of church fathers. Erroneously & deceptively translated, i might add. Are they not men? Are the opinions you posted not those of a man?

If you want to discuss church fathers, here is my thread on the subject:

Church Fathers & Universalism since Early Church times

You could repost your mistranslated quotes there. Maybe include references to where they can be found (chapter & verse, so to speak). Or did your source leave that out?

The Church Fathers on Universalism

Universalism, the Prevailing Doctrine of the Christian Church During its First Five Hundred Years

Indeed Very Many: Universalism in the Early Church

The Beautiful Heresy- Christian Universalism: The Early Church

Believers and Supporters of Christian Universalism:

Upvote 0

Boaz308

Dec 27, 2017
Tulsa
✟10,108.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm ignoring your comments because they are off topic.

Do you have anything to say about the topic?

The topic is:

Matthew 7:13-14 does not refute the eventual salvation of all
Well let us say that you are correct in tha matter of matt7:13-14. Let us assume that in using the present tense of these verbs that Jesus was simply making a statement about right now. By your own admission, if he was not refuting the eventual salvation of all, he was also not proclaiming the eventual salvation of all. So Im fine with that. No one scripture is an exhaustive dissertation on any one subject, there are many scriptures that must be considered to understand any given subject matter.

Reactions: ClementofA
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Der Alte

This is me about 1 yr. old.
Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yet you posted a list of English translation quotes of church fathers. Erroneously & deceptively translated, i might add. Are they not men? Are the opinions you posted not those of a man?
If you want to discuss church fathers, here is my thread on the subject:

You could repost your mistranslated quotes there. Maybe include references to where they can be found (chapter & verse, so to speak). Or did your source leave that out?
The source you quoted, Ilaria Ramelli, does not list where the "quotes" can be found, i.e. chapter & verse so to speak, in the primary sources, i.e. the ECF. Just the author saying this guy said this, that guy said that and some other guy said something else.

Upvote 0

SBC

Jul 9, 2017
US
✟38,276.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
God's Word has NO NEED to refute man's word.

God's Word simply IS His TRUTH.
Men can believe it OR Not.

God brings a MANS BODY, (formed by God), into a Living state.

Man's LIFE, IS HIS BLOOD.
....that sustains mans body's life.
Gods LIFE, IS a living soul, given to man.
....that sustains mans soul's life.
Gods LIFE, IS His Spirit, given to man.
....that sustains mans spirit's life.

From a mans natural birth they have two,
Life forces within the man...
His Blood
His soul

During mans natural LIFE, he has opportunity to Believe in God, and thereafter BE GIVEN,
Spiritual Life, of the mans spirit, BY Gods Spirit.

It is the SOLE CHOICE of the individual to CHOOSE to Believe IN GOD, and receive Spiritual Life of "their" spirit, BY GOD...or not.

Another man, God Himself, DOES NOT CHOOSE for the individual man.
Evangelizing, teaching, hoping, wishing, that ONE MAN, can appeal to God, to SAVE another MAN, who has NOT HIMSELF chosen to believe in God....is NEVER taught in Scripture.

BABIES, are not men. THEY have not obtained the growth, or ability to hear, know,
Read, OBTAIN the Knowledge of God, TO MAKE a choice. THEY ARE EXCEPTED, from being required to CHOOSE. God TAKES THEM, as if they HAVE CHOSEN HIM.

Men growing, having the ability to hear, to read, to learn ABOUT God, HAVE to MAKE their own choices to Believe in God or NOT.

Physically DEAD MEN, are men whose BLOOD, is DEAD. DEAD MEN, do not think, hear, read, make decisions, or have the ability to MAKE CHOICES. Their opportunity to CHOOSE God has passed. God has already taken the their LIFE, their BLOOD.
DEAD MEN KNOW NOTHING.

Your APPEAL concerns DEAD MEN...WHO...

Their Body is dead, void of it's Blood.
Their Living soul is departed out of their Dead Body.
Their Spirit was never given eternal Life, from
Gods Spirit.

Their dead body is buried returning to dust.
Their Living soul is in Hell, waiting for judgement, separated from God.
They have No Living spirit, thus are spiritually separated from God.

Their dead body's shall be raised from the grave and sent to hell.
Their living soul in hell, shall enter their body's, bringing their body's back to life.

The Lord shall enter Hell,
Dead body's, (VOID of their blood LIFE),
And ALIVE by the life in their living soul...

SHALL SEE THE LORD, and confess BELIEF.
SHALL BOW TO THE LORD.

IS IT their LIVING BODY, of Blood, the Body's LIFE confessing BELIEF? No.

Their BODY has NO BLOOD in it.

And WHAT IS required of a man, when he confesses BELIEF IN GOD?

A LIVING Sacrifice of the man, GIVING HIS LIFE (BLOOD), to become DEAD in Christ.

Did these MEN IN HELL, GIVE their LIFE (BLOOD) to Christ? No. God TOOK their Life, their BLOOD, as He does ALL LIVING MEN, who do NOT GIVE their LIFE (blood) TO HIM.

It is HERE, everything Hinges -
Based on a individual's Choice -
ALL men ~ God REQUIRES their LIFE, ie their BLOOD.

ALL MEN WHO GIVE their LIFE (blood) TO GOD...SHALL BE SAVED unto God, with God Forever.

ALL MEN WHO DO NOT GIVE the LIFE (blood) TO GOD...SHALL HAVE their blood life TAKEN, by God, and they SHALL NOT BE Saved unto God, NOR WITH God forever.
Forever, they SHALL BE WITHOUT GOD.

While their BLOOD life WAS IN THEM...
They CHOSE to be WITHOUT GOD....
When their BLOOD life departs them in physical death....
Their CHOICE becomes effected...they shall BE WITHOUT God forever.

IN HELL, on judgement DAY.
THE BOOK OF LIFE is OPENED.
THEIR NAME which was written IN the Book of LIFE, when they were BORN, and had their LIFE (blood) alive in their BODY'S...
WAS blotted OUT, when their BLOOD Life died, and they HAD NOT chosen to Believe in God.

When the Book of Life is Opened, Their NAME shall not Appear, as having Been given a Born again spirit of God. The BOOK is the Evidence. That man shall be Judged BY the Evidence. There shall be NO EVIDENCE of their NAME being WITH GOD.

The JUDGE pronounces their Sentence.
Their Sentence SHALL follow.
LIFE in their soul, shall DEPART them, WHICH IS LIFE FROM GOD, and shall return to God.
Their Body void of life, shall be destroyed.
Their Soul void of life, shall be destroyed.

Destroyed to your understanding is to become NOTHING.

Destroyed to Gods understanding is become forever burning in purifying fire.

Their TORMENT is having KNOWN the TRUTH, but never accepting the TRUTH, while in their Blood life.
Their TORMENT is their Body and Soul void of Life shall forever burn.

Torment to you, IS FEELING PAIN.
Torment to God, IS the understanding of being separated from God forever.

A dead BODY, feels NO PAIN.
If it did, men would NOT cremate and burn Dead Bodies.

A SOUL without Life in it, feels NO PAIN.

You seem to believe by your posts, that souls, and body's WITHOUT Life in them FEEL PAIN.

They don't. God is Merciful. Even to those men WHO reject Him. God departs ALL LIFE from them, BEFORE their body's and souls burn forever, WITHOUT HIM.

GOD IS Just. They REJECTED God, thus they Get what they wanted: to be Separated from God.

You can not WISH for or ASK God to SAVE another man, WHOSE OWN Choice was to Reject God.

God Bless,
SBC

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
The source you quoted, Ilaria Ramelli, does not list where the "quotes" can be found, i.e. chapter & verse so to speak, in the primary sources, i.e. the ECF. Just the author saying this guy said this, that guy said that and some other guy said something else.

I've quoted many of Ramelli's statements, often with exact references. Where is this quote you refer to?

Upvote 0

LoveofTruth

Christ builds His church from within us
Jun 29, 2015
✟167,188.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This thread is only for discussing Mt.7:13-14 as an alleged "proof text" refuting universalism. No other Scripture passages or arguments allegedly opposing universalism will be considered relevant to this topic or answered herein. Not by me, anyway. Please stay on topic or refrain from posting. Thank you.

I'll stick with the inspired Word of God through the apostle Paul, rather than your erroneous opinion of Jesus' words:

1. Jesus says "FEW" were finding it
2. Paul says "MANY" will be saved (Rom.5:18-19)

Actually both are right.

Jesus was referring to the situation at His time in the first century, not final destiny.

Rom 5:18 Consequently, then, as it was through one offense for all mankind for condemnation, thus also it is through one just act for all mankind for life's justifying."

Rom 5:19 For even as, through the disobedience of the one man, the many were constituted sinners, thus also, through the obedience of the One, the many shall be constituted just."

“In Romans 5, the justification is co-extensive with the condemnation. Since all share in one, all share in the other. If only a certain portion of the human race had partaken of the sin of Adam, only a certain portion would partake of the justification of Christ. But St. Paul affirms all to have been involved in one, and all to be included in the other.”

Bible versions don't say "few will EVER find it". This Greek Interliner says "finding":

Matthew 7:14 Interlinear: how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Young's Literal Translation
how strait is the gate, and compressed the way that is leading to the life, and few are those finding it!

Matthew 7:14 is in the present tense, few "finding" it, speaking of that particular time, not of final destiny. Earlier in Matthew final destiny was already revealed re salvation:

"Pay attention to the Greek verb tenses.
“Enter (eiselthate | εἰσέλθατε | aor act imperative 2 pl) through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and easy the way that leads to destruction, and many are those who enter
(eiserchomenoi | εἰσερχόμενοι | pres mid ptcp nom pl masc) through it. Matt 7:13"

"How narrow is the gate and difficult the way that leads to life, and few are those who find (heuriskontes | εὑρίσκοντες | pres act ptcp nom pl masc) it! Matt 7:14"

"In v.13 the word for 'enter' is the Greek word 'eiserchomenoi' which as noted is a present tense participle more accurately translated as 'entering.' Thus all this verse is saying is that there are many who are presently entering the wide gate. This verse does not refer at all to sometime in the future where people may or may not be resurrected out of the lake of fire. If it did, this verse would employ the future tense of the verb - but it doesn't. We can only say what this verse states - simply that when Jesus spoke these words, many are entering the broad gate/road."

"Same thing with v.14. The word for 'find' is 'heuriskontes' which is a present tense participle. Thus few people are currently 'finding' the narrow gate. No reference at all to the future."

Hell is Payback

"13 Enter ye in at the strait gate: for wide is the gate, and broad is the way, that leadeth to destruction, and many there be which go in thereat:14 Because strait is the gate, and narrow is the way, which leadeth unto life, and few there be that find it."(Matthew 7:13,14 KJV)

as many go into the wide gate, few go into the strait and narrow gate. Few as in comparison to the many. If we look at all the people from all time, few there be that find it.

Jesus Christ is the life and eternal life. So he also is the gate. If men are in him they are in eternal life if not there is no way to have eternal life. They will be eternally damned and judged. And the wrath of God abides on them. The shall not see life as Jesus said.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Starts off with something Augustine allegedly said with no citation. "Often" ain't good enough when you criticize someone else for not including citations.

That reference has been given to you many times before. I expect it is in her book. But what you refer to is her rebuttal to a critique of it, something which is not meant to contain citations. If you had followed the links i gave, you'ld have already known that.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That reference has been given to you many times before. I expect it is in her book. But what you refer to is her rebuttal to a critique of it, something which is not meant to contain citations. If you had followed the links i gave, you'ld have already known that...
And you and popess Ramelli should know that in a professional writing every quote/reference should be identified, it is commonly done with foot notes e.g. (1) Otherwise a writer risks serious legal problems for plagiarism.
(1) My favorite Source, A.N. Author, 1978, p. 12

Upvote 0

ClementofA

Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2016
Vancouver
✟310,073.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
And you and popess Ramelli should know that in a professional writing every quote/reference should be identified, it is commonly done with foot notes e.g. (1) Otherwise a writer risks serious legal problems for plagiarism.
(1) My favorite Source, A.N. Author, 1978, p. 12

Her response was to a scholar in a scholarly review who had already read her book & was aware of the references, as anyone familiar with the subject would be. She's not writing to amateurs who have no clue about the subject matter, e.g. you. Therefore referencing her remark was unnecessary & irrelevant.

Plagarism is irrelevant to her remark.

Upvote 0

Der Alte

Site Supporter
Aug 21, 2003
EST
✟993,188.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Her response was to a scholar in a scholarly review who had already read her book & was aware of the references, as anyone familiar with the subject would be. She's not writing to amateurs who have no clue about the subject matter, e.g. you. Therefore referencing her remark was unnecessary & irrelevant.
Plagarism is irrelevant to her remark
. . . .
Prove it! If a scholar is quoting anything it is incumbent on that scholar to properly cite his/her sources e.g. "Augustine as quoted in Johnson."

Upvote 0