Mathematicians Have Found The Ninth Dedekind Number, After 32 Years of Searching

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Undeterred after three decades of looking, and with some assistance from a supercomputer, mathematicians have finally discovered a new example of a special integer called a Dedekind number.

Only the ninth of its kind, or D(9), it is calculated to equal 286 386 577 668 298 411 128 469 151 667 598 498 812 366, if you're updating your own records. This 42 digit monster follows the 23-digit D(8) discovered in 1991.

By no means am I a mathematician--not even close. Can anyone explain--in understandable English--what the heck a Dedekind number is? It apparently took 32 years to find this particular one.. What is so special about it that its discovery is worth publicizing?

Mathematicians Have Found The Ninth Dedekind Number, After 32 Years of Searching

• Informative
Reactions: USincognito

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Sorry I can't help you with an applied mathematics background given a lot of pure mathematics like this is as esoteric to me.
Pure mathematicians should pull their heads out of their backsides and come up with something useful.

Albert perfectly summarized the relationship with pure and applied mathematicians.

quote-relations-between-pure-and-applied-mathematicians-are-based-on-trust-and-understanding-albert-einstein-86-56-00.jpg

Reactions: jayem
Upvote 0

Bob Crowley

Site Supporter
Dec 27, 2015
Logan City
✟758,158.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Pure mathematicians should pull their heads out of their backsides and come up with something useful.
They kept a supercomputer busy for 5 months! What's the use of having a super computer if you haven't got pure mathematicians to keep it occupied?:oldthumbsup:

The team ran the computation on this supercomputer for approximately five months. On March 8, 2023, the team found the ninth Dedekind number: 286386577668298411128469151667598498812366.
Speaking for myself if a mathematical problem can't be worked out on the back of an envelope, it's over my head.

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Can anyone explain--in understandable English--what the heck a Dedekind number is?

Well, perhaps if we start small and try to understand D(2) we can see what D(9) might mean. From the Wikipedia page on Dedekind numbers we find:

"The Dedekind number D(n) is the number of different monotonic Boolean functions on n variables."

which raises the question, what is a Boolean function on n variables? Such functions can be defined by a lookup table. Here are just three of the Boolean functions on 2 variables:

0,0 → 0 ... 0,0 → 0 ...0,0 → 0
0,1 → 1 ... 0,1 → 0 ...0,1 → 1
1,0 → 1 ... 1,0 → 0 ...1,0 → 1
1,1 → 1 ... 1,1 → 1 ...1,1 → 0

These functions take as input pairs of Boolean values (0 or 1) and for each such pair, produces another Boolean value. Of the three functions I gave, you may recognize the first one as the logical OR function, the second one as the logical AND function, and the third one as the EXCLUSIVE OR function. But there are many more. The output column of each function can be filled in with either a 0 or 1 and the result will be another Boolean function. Since there are four entries, the number of ways of filling them in is 2⁴ = 16. So I have shown 3 out of the possible 16 different Boolean functions of two variables. Therefore whatever the Dedekind number for 2 is, it must be less than 16. All that remains is to figure out what "monotonic" means for Boolean functions. I know what monotonic means in regard to real number functions of one variable. It means a function that can increase or stay the same, but never decrease as the input increases. "Mono"=one and "tonic" means "direction". But whatever can it mean for Boolean functions? Well, the same Wikipedia page explains:

It is monotonic if, for every combination of inputs, switching one of the inputs from false(0) to true(1) can only cause the output to switch from false(0) to true(1) and not from true(1) to false(0).

Looking at the three functions I listed above, the first two are monotonic. Any time either input is changed from 0 to 1 the output either stays the same or else moves from 0 to 1. It never goes backwards. But the third function, the EXCLUSIVE OR function, is not monotonic because changing from 1,0 to 1,1 causes the output to switch from 1 to 0, even though all we did on the input was to change the second input from 0 to 1. At this point you can try your hand at examining all 16 ways to fill out the function table and see which ones are monotonic. The Wikipedia page for Dedekind numbers says D(2) = 6, so you should be able to find just 6 out of the 16 total functions are monotonic. Then you can say you have verified by hand that D(2)=6.

Going down to D(1), we see there are only 4 total functions of one Boolean variable:

0 → 0 ...0 → 0 ...0 → 1 ...0 → 1
1 → 0 ...1 → 1 ...1 → 0 ...1 → 1

If the input variable is A, we can call these functions "always 0", "A", "not A", and "always 1". It is easy to see that they are all monotonic except for "not A" which goes backwards. Therefore the Dedekind number D(1) must be 3. (And sure enough, the Wiki says so too).

If we try to go up to D(3) things get a lot harder. A function of 3 variables has 8 different combinations of inputs (0,0,0), (0,0,1), (0,1,0), (0,1,1), (1,0,0), (1,0,1), (1,1,0), (1,1,1). And for each of these combinations the lookup table for a function gives a value of 0 or 1. Therefore we know that the total number of functions of three variables is 2⁸ = 256. Then you would have to examine each of the 256 functions to see which ones are monotonic. The Wikipedia page says D(3) = 20, so I guess only 20 out of those 256 will be monotonic.

For D(4), each input is a 4-tuple of Boolean values, There are 16 such 4-tuples, to each function lookup table has 16 entries that can be filled in with either 0 or 1. That means there are 2¹⁶=65536 different such functions. How many of them are monotonic? D(4)=168. So it looks like monotonic functions are harder and harder to find, the higher we go in the Dedekind numbers. We started out with D(2)= 75% of the total functions. D(3) = 37% of the total possible functions. D(4)=0.3%. It is dropping like a rock!

Edit: This should be D(1)=75% of the total number of functions, D(2)=37% of the total, D(3)=7.8% of the total, D(4)=0.3%.

Generalizing we can see that for D(n), the total number of functions that need to be examined is 2ᴬ where A=2ⁿ. So for D(9) they had to look through 2⁵¹² different functions of 9 variables. That is approximately 134 with 151 zeroes after it, making it a 154 digit number. And out of that many functions, only a 43-digit D(9) of them are monotonic.

As for why anyone would care, I have absolutely no idea!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

sjastro

May 14, 2014
✟278,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
They kept a supercomputer busy for 5 months! What's the use of having a super computer if you haven't got pure mathematicians to keep it occupied?:oldthumbsup:

Speaking for myself if a mathematical problem can't be worked out on the back of an envelope, it's over my head.
I did three years of pure mathematics as an undergraduate before going over to the dark side.
Your remark about supercomputers and pure mathematicians reminded me of the four colour theorem which states four colours are required where no two countries sharing a border have the same colour.

This has been known to cartographers but it took centuries to prove by mathematicians with the aid of computers back in the 1970s.
This apparently caused a stir at the time as pure mathematics was considered purely a mental pursuit and the use of computers some how amounted to cheating and devalued pure mathematics as an intellectual exercise.

I wonder if modern day pure mathematicians feel the same way when using supercomputers. :scratch:

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟433,366.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Huh. My M.S. was in pure math, but I'm not acquainted with Dedekinds.

I have to agree that it doesn't look terribly useful.
Thats what every kid says whos forced to learn their Dedekind numbers in high school. When am I ever going to use this in real life?

Upvote 0

LeafByNiggle

Jul 20, 2021
Minneapolis
✟174,768.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I did three years of pure mathematics as an undergraduate before going over to the dark side.
Your remark about supercomputers and pure mathematicians reminded me of the four colour theorem which states four colours are required where no two countries sharing a border have the same colour.

This has been known to cartographers but it took centuries to prove by mathematicians with the aid of computers back in the 1970s.
This apparently caused a stir at the time as pure mathematics was considered purely a mental pursuit and the use of computers some how amounted to cheating and devalued pure mathematics as an intellectual exercise.
I remember when that result came out. The concern from mathematicians was not that that it lacked the "purity" of a purely mental proof. The concern was over how to prove that the computer program was correctly written in the first place. Maybe there was a bug in the program. It happens sometimes.

The last really big breakthrough in a field I studied was the complete classification of all finite simple groups. I was a student of Jack McLaughlin, the discoverer of one of the sporadic simple groups, a group of order 898,128,000 that he discovered in 1969. Many mathematicians contributed to this classification which was finally finished in 2004.

• Informative
Reactions: sjastro
Upvote 0

jayem

Naturalist
Jun 24, 2003
St. Louis, MO.
✟374,351.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Thats what every kid says whos forced to learn their Dedekind numbers in high school. When am I ever going to use this in real life?
Add in some upper and lower case letters, and a few punctuation marks between the numbers. You'll have the most secure password in the universe. If you can remember it. :oldthumbsup:

• Useful
Reactions: durangodawood
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟301,162.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Add in some upper and lower case letters, and a few punctuation marks between the numbers. You'll have the most secure password in the universe. If you can remember it. :oldthumbsup:

Oh great. Now I'm going to have to change my password.

I had 286 386 577 668 298 411 128 469 151 667 598 498 812 365

in the office pool. So close.

Upvote 0