Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
What does it say about you as a person when you see racism in even the most mundane of things as a basic mathematical sum? Do these types of people, lunatics (who should probably be put in mental asylums) contribute anything to society in the ever expanding quest to dismantle and deconstruct the system?

Racism as a word, has lost all meaning, hence why no one should take it seriously. At least when talking to people like this. They've expanded the definition so much that even math is subject to accusations and it's not even as if such a basic sum arose in the west to begin with. I would have thought that very basic sum would have been in Africa, Asia and the Middle east as well since the time of trading and commerce originated.

Yet you're going to see people here and elsewhere attempt to justify this nonsense.

Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
What does it say about you as a person when you see racism in even the most mundane of things as a basic mathematical sum? Do these types of people, lunatics (who should probably be put in mental asylums) contribute anything to society in the ever expanding quest to dismantle and deconstruct the system?

Racism as a word, has lost all meaning, hence why no one should take it seriously. At least when talking to people like this. They've expanded the definition so much that even math is subject to accusations and it's not even as if such a basic sum arose in the west to begin with. I would have thought that very basic sum would have been in Africa, Asia and the Middle east as well since the time of trading and commerce originated.

Yet you're going to see people here and elsewhere attempt to justify this nonsense.
2+2=4 is only true if you use a decimal system. While it has become universal now, there where many different bases that have historically been used for math, and those differences are cultural. What this person was saying was that the idea that 2+2 can only equal four is a result of those other positional systems being replaced by it through colonization. That much is true.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
2+2=4 is only true if you use a decimal system. While it has become universal now, there where many different bases that have historically been used for math, and those differences are cultural. What this person was saying was that the idea that 2+2 can only equal four is a result of those other positional systems being replaced by it through colonization. That much is true.

Can you point me to the civilization which said if I have two sticks in that pile and two sticks in this pile, I have something other than four sticks total? Can you also show me that such a civilization was right and we should use their method as a basis for mathematics?

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,306.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Can you point me to the civilization which said if I have two sticks in that pile and two sticks in this pile, I have something other than four sticks total? Can you also show me that such a civilization was right and we should use their method as a basis for mathematics?
Sure. Rome. Ancient Egypt. But if you want to take positional systems, the Alamblak speakers in Papua New Guinea are a good example. They don't have a word for "4". It would be "two twos" for them. And modern computers don't even have "2" They have 0 and 1. Analog computers have 0,1,2 so all numbers are combinations of that. The Maori probably had a base 20 counting system before the British arrived, though that's being debating. The Ancient Babylonians use base 60, which is still used to divide minutes and hours. Granted not many cultures used base 2 or 3, but base four was also fairly common. And as for right and wrong, there isn't such a thing. Some number systems are easier to use then others, but mathematics isn't restricted to a particular base. As far as a universal constant 4=11=100=10. They all represent the same value, and you can perform the same operations with them and get the same base value.

I'm also not saying that we shouldn't use the decimal system, but I'm saying that the idea that the decimal system is the only possible system that can be used is problematic, especially when we aren't even consistent in our use of it in society.

Upvote 0

eucatastrophe

Jun 5, 2018
NC
✟13,467.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

You are deranged, you don't exist
Reality's all in your mind
Give it up, you'll never resist
You'll confess, then you die

We are the law, we control your pain
Telling you how to behave
We are the voice inside your brain
You're nothing but a lifeless slave

Black is white and white is black
The fact's a lie and the lie's a fact
You are the dead and the dead are alive
Two plus two equals five

You are alone, you cannot hide
We see every move that you make
You are the last, your dreams have died
Even your past is a fake

We are the cure, we'll make you sane
And purge every sin from your life
Break you down, erase your name
Not even your shadow survives

Peace means war, rich means poor and perfect flawed
Less means more, five means four and hate adore
Love means law, true means false and break restore
Dusk means dawn, here means gone, unbend deform
Die means born, admire means scorn, to know ignore
Won means lost, calm means storm, forget recall
Stand means fall, run means crawl, attack withdraw
Weak means strong, right means wrong, diverge conform

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟290,977.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Sure. Rome. Ancient Egypt. But if you want to take positional systems, the Alamblak speakers in Papua New Guinea are a good example. They don't have a word for "4". It would be "two twos" for them. And modern computers don't even have "2" They have 0 and 1. Analog computers have 0,1,2 so all numbers are combinations of that. The Maori probably had a base 20 counting system before the British arrived, though that's being debating. The Ancient Babylonians use base 60, which is still used to divide minutes and hours. Granted not many cultures used base 2 or 3, but base four was also fairly common. And as for right and wrong, there isn't such a thing. Some number systems are easier to use then others, but mathematics isn't restricted to a particular base. As far as a universal constant 4=11=100=10. They all represent the same value, and you can perform the same operations with them and get the same base value.

I'm also not saying that we shouldn't use the decimal system, but I'm saying that the idea that the decimal system is the only possible system that can be used is problematic, especially when we aren't even consistent in our use of it in society.

All this is interesting and it's things I didn't know. Yet do any of these systems undermine mathematics as a subject and make any particular expression of it racist? The decimal system itself doesn't even originate from the west but India and no system, can make in my example, there be anything other than four sticks as a concept. Is not the decimal system used because it makes mathematics easier? We could express ourselves in countless 1s and 0s or even roman numerals but would be rather burdensome.

I find the Idea of calling a mathematical system racist because of it's prevalence and it being part of the traditional teaching curriculum of the west to be wholly unproductive. Mathematics as knowledge is not inherently racist and neither is the means by which it is communicated. This would be akin to saying the teaching of English to Japanese people is racist. It's a nonsense statement.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You are the one who came up with the specific example of 2+2=5.

And it wasn't just a random choice.

There isn't a number system I'm aware of where that is true, but 2+2=11 and 2+2=10 are both valid expressions. The base that is used in a positional system is cultural, not absolute.

But, from a mathematical point of view, the base doesn't matter, and the exact symbols don't matter.

Whether you write ••+••=•••• (Mayan) or II+II=IV (Roman) or β+β=δ (Greek) or 2+2=4 (modern) or S(S(0))+S(S(0))=S(S(S(S(0)))) (theoretical) or 10+10=100 (binary), the meaning is the same, because the meaning doesn't depend on culture.

Using binary, or octal, or decimal, or hexadecimal, or sexagesimal are not "different ways of knowing," they are just different ways of recording the same, universal, mathematical truths.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That's interesting. Arabic numerals are from the middle east/India. Math, as we know it, didn't originate in "white" areas of Europe.

Math, as we know it, originated in what is now Iraq. We still hang on to the Babylonian base-60 system when we work with hours, minutes, and seconds.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

And all those people agree that if you have two (zwei, δύο) sticks in that pile and two (due, दो) sticks in this pile, you have exactly four (cuatro, 四) sticks total.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Using binary, or octal, or decimal, or hexadecimal, or sexagesimal are not "different ways of knowing," they are just different ways of recording the same, universal, mathematical truths.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Is this the thread where we get to discuss different systems of arithmetic? It's really cool and I've been waiting for the opportunity, so I hope this means people are finally interested.

• Haha
Reactions: Ana the Ist
Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,655.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

Adding two and two is always four, no matter the number base.

Upvote 0

Oompa Loompa

Against both police brutality and cop killing.
Jun 4, 2020
Louisiana
✟150,512.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Haha
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0