In Memoriam to CS Lewis
Feb 27, 2016
South Africa
✟316,433.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
What "other systems"? I'm fully conversant with mathematics from multiple cultures, and it's all the same mathematics. There is no culture where 2+2=5.

If you disagree, feel free to find some branch of ethnomathematics that is incompatible with standard mathematics.

Of course it is.

But the axioms, in the case of numbers, are self-evident.

Once again, if you disagree, feel free to find some branch of ethnomathematics that is incompatible with standard mathematics.
It is not incompatible, but it is not the same.

Older forms of Medicine are also not incompatible, seeing that their overall goals of Health are similar, and often consist of useful and practical treatments that we can relate to Modern Medicine - but at some point it breaks down. Ancient Egyptians had antiseptic treatments, but they had no inkling of Antisepsis as concept. I cannot do modern algebra in ancient Greek or Roman notation, without importing notable elements and concepts. You could argue they were not invented yet, sure, but it also means that that body of mathematics is not equivalent of ours, though I can express it therein.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
In summation - someone from what may possibly be a news source took a single tweet out of the context of the conversation it was happening in and tacked on an ad hominem attack against black lives matter and the link is posted here with a click bait (and false) OP title.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
In summation - someone from what may possibly be a news source took a single tweet out of the context of the conversation it was happening in and tacked on an ad hominem attack against black lives matter and the link is posted here with a click bait (and false) OP title.
I went back and looked at my OP. I never mentioned BLM. But if you can find where I did, feel free to quote me.

Upvote 0

Quartermaine

Sep 16, 2019
Alma
✟80,772.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I went back and looked at my OP. I never mentioned BLM. But if you can find where I did, feel free to quote me.
please reread my statement: i noted that the (possible) news source added the attack on BLM.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is not incompatible, but it is not the same.

There is only one mathematics, although of course human knowledge of that mathematics grows over time.

That's why you can't actually identify any other "way of knowing" about numbers, or any branch of ethnomathematics that is incompatible with standard mathematics.

Older forms of Medicine are also not incompatible

In medicine, different conceptual frameworks come into play: one group has techniques to manipulate chakras, or humours, or chi; and another group denies that such things even exist.

But that's quite a different topic to mathematics, and a complete red herring in the context of this discussion. Mathematical statements are necessarily true, therefore true in every possible universe, and indeed eternally true. Medical statements are contingent on the nature of the human body in the universe that we happen to occupy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,729,308.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
please reread my statement: i noted that the (possible) news source added the attack on BLM.
My mistake. I misread your post.

On that note, the news source is not the issue. Trying to discredit the source is a a fallacy. But if it will help you to focus on the topic, I’ll have the thread moved to The Kitchen Sink.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

There was no "attack on BLM." The website simply quoted from the self-description of the person posting the tweet.

Upvote 0

Halbhh

Everything You say is Life to me
Site Supporter
Mar 17, 2015
catholic -- embracing all Christians
✟1,159,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Stepping out for a bigger look past only the 1 example....I'm still surprised at the idea that people, a lot of people, seem to think that even the most well supported science theories (which have been supported by evidence and extensively tested and survived the testing), such as General Relativity for instance...

That many seem to think these are just inventions or notions, or arbitrary, so that they could be replaced with some other invention for instance. (Even though it's possible to state well established science theories in many equivalent forms, the forms are merely transforms of each other, and can be quickly derived mathematically from each other -- they are equal, one and the same.)

Many seem to believe that science is just opinion, basically.

But the most well established theories are accurate (precise) representations of the real, hard, stable reality around us.

They touch absolute reality. Accurately.

Gravity works, and it is always present. It's not opinion.

How is it that people can fantasize otherwise?

• Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

renniks

Jun 2, 2008
✟149,430.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
  • Agree
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it Euclidean or non-Euclidean?

Both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries are part of standard mathematics. Euclidean geometry describes Euclidean space, and non-Euclidean geometry describes a curved manifold embedded in Euclidean space.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Both Euclidean and non-Euclidean geometries are part of standard mathematics.

So you would agree that the truth and falsity of statements like "parallel lines never meet" can depend on choices made by the mathematician for a particular problem? It is not absolutely true, unless one explicitly states something about the system you've chosen to work in.

Euclidean geometry describes Euclidean space, and non-Euclidean geometry describes a curved manifold embedded in Euclidean space.

Are you asserting some primacy of Euclidean space? There is no need to embed anything.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
So you would agree that the truth and falsity of statements like "parallel lines never meet" can depend on choices made by the mathematician for a particular problem?

It all depends on what you mean by "line."

Are you asserting some primacy of Euclidean space? There is no need to embed anything.

The embedding theorems are a fact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟347,448.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You are the one who came up with the specific example of 2+2=5. There isn't a number system I'm aware of where that is true, but 2+2=11 and 2+2=10 are both valid expressions. The base that is used in a positional system is cultural, not absolute.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟830,378.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
It all depends on what you mean by "line."

If there's only one mathematics, I don't think you'd need to ask.

The embedding theorems are a fact.

It's a fact that you can make a bijection between the positive integers and the odd integers, but it doesn't mean the positive integers are 'really' odd.

Reactions: Kaon
Upvote 0

Citizen of the Kingdom

Site Supporter
Jan 31, 2006
Vancouver
Visit site
✟336,289.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,608.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
You are the one who came up with the specific example of 2+2=5. There isn't a number system I'm aware of where that is true, but 2+2=11 and 2+2=10 are both valid expressions. The base that is used in a positional system is cultural, not absolute.

Yep, and 2+2 can also be 0.

People really need to stop using 2+2=4 to try to show universal truth because that's a foundation built on sand.

Upvote 0