• Welcome to Christian Forums
  1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in fellowship with Christians all over the world.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

2. The forums in the Christian Congregations category are now open only to Christian members. Please review our current Faith Groups list for information on which faith groups are considered to be Christian faiths. Christian members please remember to read the Statement of Purpose threads for each forum within Christian Congregations before posting in the forum.
  3. Please note there is a new rule regarding the posting of videos. It reads, "Post a summary of the videos you post . An exception can be made for music videos.". Unless you are simply sharing music, please post a summary, or the gist, of the video you wish to share.
  4. There have been some changes in the Life Stages section involving the following forums: Roaring 20s, Terrific Thirties, Fabulous Forties, and Golden Eagles. They are changed to Gen Z, Millennials, Gen X, and Golden Eagles will have a slight change.
  5. CF Staff, Angels and Ambassadors; ask that you join us in praying for the world in this difficult time, asking our Holy Father to stop the spread of the virus, and for healing of all affected.

Math is racist

Discussion in 'The Kitchen Sink' started by Hammster, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Hammster

Hammster God’s World, God’s Rules Staff Member Site Advisor Supporter

+19,206
    United States
    Reformed
    Married
    US-Libertarian
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
    We teamed up with Faith Counseling. Can they help you today?
  2. LaBèlla

LaBèlla Well-Known Member Supporter

+7,682
    United States
    Christian
    In Relationship
    6EC465BF-1310-49BB-90C2-7046643FF6A1.jpeg

3. Chesterton

Chesterton Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding Supporter

+17,857
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    Postmodernism.

4. Hans Blaster

Hans Blaster Well-Known Member

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    So it's a CF thread in the News section about an article in a "news" website (I couldn't figure out what that site was, I've never seen it before) about a tweet that says something DUMB.

[The symbols "2", "4", "+", and "=" are cultural artifacts, but given the definitions we use, "2+2" can only be " = 4". A different would have chosen different symbols. The fact that these symbols dominate the globe does say something about the history of mathematics and the spread and dominance of culture.]

5. Chesterton

+17,857
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    You must be reading some other tweet. She says nothing about the symbols.

6. Abi Salomao

Abi Salomao New Member

+7
    United States
    Fundament. Christ.
    Single
    That "2 + 2 = 4" demonstrates the existence of God, in its logic, and order and constancy. Mathematics shows an eternal mind that governs all, whose laws govern everything beneath this Divine Mind. It (mathematics) is a 'universal' language (syntax, structure, form, etc) that applies everywhere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  7. ReesePiece23

ReesePiece23 The Peanut Buttery Member.

+3,807
    Christian
    I don't think this silliness warrants conversation anymore.

Does that make me racist? If you say so. I really don't care either way.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  8. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    Did I say that she did. I said this was a dumb thread about a dumb article about a dumb tweet.

The "cultural aspect" of the symbols was all me and not related to the stupidity of the tweet that spawned the article... When I spoke about the symbols, I was only saying that the shapes of the symbols and names of these symbols are aspects of our culture and not intrinsic to the mathematical idea.

9. keith99

keith99 sola dosis facit venenum

+4,919
    Atheist
    Single
    But whose culture? Basic Arabic notation!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  10. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    No.

Do you think your god could make 2+2=5 (using the standard understanding of these symbols in our culture) or does it have no choice but for 2+2 to be 4?

11. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    It got into western culture and then the rest of the world (mostly accepted it). Even though we call them "Arabic" numerals, they do not resemble the numerals used in Arabic. (Look at the number plates on cars in many Mid. East. countries) I think they are originally from India, but were introduced to the West by the Arabs, so we call them "Arabic".

12. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,479
    United States
    Married
    2+2 can also equal 11, imagine that.

13. Chesterton

+17,857
    Eastern Orthodox
    Single
    No. All Indian, except for the "=" sign, which comes from a Welshman. (Unless "Welshman" is racist like "Chinaman", in which case, "a man who is Welsh".)

14. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    Different symbols for different systems!

One might hope things would be a bit more advanced in 2202211.

(and as an aside, there are 10 kinds of people, those that understand binary and those that don't)

15. Aryeh Jay

Aryeh Jay Veteran Supporter

+10,479
    United States
    Married
    Ah, but that was Ternary or Base 3, Binary is so 11111000110.

16. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,552
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
  17. Kaon

Kaon Well-Known Member

+2,288
    United States
    Other Religion
    Celibate
  18. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    Some of them are already well exposed by recent events.

19. Radagast

Radagast comes and goes Supporter

+9,552
    Australia
    Christian
    Single
    2+2=4 is a universal, eternal truth. The fact that a woke academic denies that it is true is disconcerting.

The symbols 2 and 4 come from India, via Western Arabic numerals, while + comes from Germany (1489), and = from Wales and England (1557).

But the tweet isn't about the symbols, it's about the truth of 2+2=4, which this particular woke academic denies.

20. Hans Blaster

+650
    Atheist
    Private
    It wasn't, but I was trying to add something to this otherwise dire thread about a stupid claim (that of this 'woke academic')