Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
In base 3, 2+2=11 and in base 4 2+2=10. The quantity is the same, but the way we express it is different based on the numbering system we use.

But different numbering systems is not what this is about.

Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
And you know that based on what exactly?

You will note that the initial tweet never mentioned numbering systems.

Nor did any of the tweets in that particular twitter discussion.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Arcangl86

Dec 29, 2013
✟346,504.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
You will note that the initial tweet never mentioned numbering systems.
The initial tweet never mentioned a lot of things. The initial tweet didn't explain at all what it meant. Numbering systems is a logical explanation.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
She was responding to this:

EcMFA3dXgAAmOz9

This isn't about numbering systems, though.
Yeah, actually it was. And more.

Upvote 0

J_B_

I have answers to questions no one ever asks.
May 15, 2020
Midwest
✟109,555.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
In base 3, 2+2=11 and in base 4 2+2=10. The quantity is the same, but the way we express it is different based on the numbering system we use.

Yes, I know. People are playing games with symbols. The fact that (base 4) 2+2 = 10 produces a symbol that most people associate with the word "ten" does not negate the fact that the answer is still four.

Further, if people were more aware of the history of numbers, they would realize the true "western" (i.e. Roman) number system would express these numbers as II and IV. Using the symbols 2 and 4 is actually Indian and was picked up from the Arabs by Fibonacci.

To assume that something you learned in a school in the U.S. is an expression of white privilege is just as racist as what these people are (supposedly) protesting - if they knew enough to actually realize that. Truth is, the movement begun to address race problems has been co-opted by people who are only interested in power and getting attention. They don't care spit about whether math is "racist". It's just a way to stir the pot.

I'm the person they're protesting - the middle class white male. Yet, oddly enough, in my graduate history program I did my seminar on African-American history because that topic so dominated the history program where I attended that I had few other choices. Most of my professors were either black or female. It was my choice to accept that. I chose that school because of convenience. I could have attended a school with a different focus. The point is, however, that the study of gender and race has risen to take a major place in the humanities. It's not something that has been sidelined.

Additionally, as I've mentioned several times throughout the hysteria, my family is made up of both whites and minorities. Therefore, while I, myself, don't experience racism, my family members do. I'm well acquainted with the situation.

It's just hilarious (and rather frustrating) that, because I'm white, people constantly assume I know nothing about what's going on.

Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Numbering systems is a logical explanation.

If you are absolutely desperate to try to make sense of the senseless.

Different number bases were never mentioned in that particular twitter discussion.

And the remarks about "western imperialism/colonization" in fact show a serious lack of awareness of the history of arithmetic.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Dumb is saying dumb thing.

Dumber is making a big fuss about a dumb thing one random person says.

An entire thread devoted to a tweet by a random graduate student. Slow day, huh? :scratch:

But the article in the OP cherry-picked a tweet out of a conversation.

She represents a lot of people in academia. Awhile back I listened to a debate with a guy named Thadeus Russell, a professor, at Columbia I think. Self-proclaimed postmodernist (and child of two Marxist parents, for those of us who think that's relevant.) I'll link it if anyone wants.

When the moderator introduces Russell at the beginning of the debate, he mistakenly says Russell will be arguing for the negative of the debate proposition. Russell corrects him (?), saying "I'm actually arguing for the affirmative. It's okay, I make mistakes, too. The good thing is since I'm a postmodernist that doesn't matter. It's just about being interesting, not being right."

And in the course of the debate, Russell:
  • refuses to accept the Pythagorean Theorem as true, saying it's just something some guy thought up

• refuses to affirm that the earth is round

• refuses to affirm that human slavery is immoral

• refuses to affirm or deny that the Jewish Holocaust happened, because history is just differing stories which one can believe or disbelieve as one "wants"

People like this have been teaching our kids for a couple of generations now, and they're just getting more numerous and more insane.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
She represents a lot of people in academia. Awhile back I listened to a debate with a guy named Thadeus Russell, a professor, at Columbia I think. Self-proclaimed postmodernist (and child of two Marxist parents, for those of us who think that's relevant.)

When the moderator introduces Russell at the beginning of the debate, he mistakenly says Russell will be arguing for the negative of the debate proposition. Russell corrects him (?), saying "I'm actually arguing for the affirmative. It's okay, I make mistakes, too. The good thing is since I'm a postmodernist that doesn't matter. It's just about being interesting, not being right."

And in the course of the debate, Russell:
  • refuses to accept the Pythagorean Theorem as true, saying it's just something some guy thought up

• refuses to affirm that the earth is round

• refuses to affirm that human slavery is immoral

• refuses to affirm or deny that the Jewish Holocaust happened, because history is just differing stories which one can believe or disbelieve as one "wants"

People like this have been teaching our kids for a couple of generations now, and they're just getting more numerous and more insane.
I agree thats nutty. But one nutty professor does not imply a norm. Among all the professors I encountered, including many in the humanities, none were like that.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I agree thats nutty. But one nutty professor does not imply a norm. Among all the professors I encountered, including many in the humanities, none were like that.
It varies from place to place. But just a few days ago I listened to a guy explaining how secretive some of them are. They won't allow students to put their lectures online, for example, because they don't want what they're teaching known to parents and the general public.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
It varies from place to place. But just a few days ago I listened to a guy explaining how secretive some of them are. They won't allow students to put their lectures online, for example, because they don't want what they're teaching known to parents and the general public.
The Secret Teachings.

Sorry if I'm not convinced by your non-evidence.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
What does that mean? You want the video?...
No. I did college and listen to tons of academics give lectures. I've never encountered this. Only heard the odd tale propagated by the usual contemporary outrage-mills.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟865,752.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
No. I did college and listen to tons of academics give lectures. I've never encountered this. Only heard the odd tale propagated by the usual contemporary outrage-mills.
Okay I understand. We all have busy lives. Deciding something's wrong without having to hear it is a real time-saver. :)

• Haha
Reactions: fwGod
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟431,973.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Okay I understand. We all have busy lives. Deciding something's wrong without having to hear it is a real time-saver. :)
Bingo.

Use some discrimination. Dont chase down every ridiculous claim that comes your way.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA/Belize
✟1,748,098.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Plus don't sigh at me, young lady. You're staff, you should know better. I feel like I've been flambéed or goated or whatever ya'll call it. :p
It has been awhile since someone called me 'young lady', son. :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0