Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Berkeley. Yes, that one. I think its rep as liberal bastion is a little overblown. The academic standards are quite high there, to the point that total nonsense is pretty rare, which comports with my experience. Town is another matter...or was, before gentrification became almost total.
Oh wow, this is not possible! I swear this is the truth: after I asked where, I was going to type "Please don't say Berkeley".

• Haha
Reactions: Radagast
Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Oh wow, this is not possible! I swear this is the truth: after I asked where, I was going to type "Please don't say Berkeley".
Ahaha. Bingo. But look at any assessment of top U's for math, engineering, all the sciences. Berkeley is among the top schools in all those fields. Not a lot of 2+2=5 going on there. And where liberal bias crops up in the humanities, its typically defended with rigor and not the nonsense youre talking about. The one program that disappointed me personally was the art dept. This was based on my opinion of student work at the time. I suspect my opinion would have been similar anywhere tho, as high-concept low-execution conceptual art was all the rage nationally.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟867,564.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
Ahaha. Bingo. But look at any assessment of top U's for math, engineering, all the sciences. Berkeley is among the top schools in all those fields. Not a lot of 2+2=5 going on there. And where liberal bias crops up in the humanities, its typically defended with rigor and not the nonsense youre talking about. The one program that disappointed me personally was the art dept. This was based on my opinion of student work at the time. I suspect my opinion would have been similar anywhere tho, as high-concept low-execution conceptual art was all the rage nationally.
I believe you about that. Every once in a while I'll be reading or listening to someone I'd consider somewhat conservative and then I'm surprised to learn they went to Berkeley. I don't know when you were there, but I wonder, does the school have any collective memory that it was considered the birthplace of "the free speech movement"? Is there at least a plaque on a wall or anything? I think they need to put up a plaque, lol.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟432,680.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I believe you about that. Every once in a while I'll be reading or listening to someone I'd consider somewhat conservative and then I'm surprised to learn they went to Berkeley. I don't know when you were there, but I wonder, does the school have any collective memory that it was considered the birthplace of "the free speech movement"? Is there at least a plaque on a wall or anything? I think they need to put up a plaque, lol.
I recall there being some sort of free-speech display thing. But I cant picture it.

If there's one prof I wish wasnt a Berkeley guy, its John "torture memo's" Woo from the law school. 2+2=4, but you could torture it into =5.

Upvote 0

Aryeh Jay

Gone and hopefully forgotten.
Site Supporter
Jul 19, 2012
MI - Michigan
✟498,144.00
Country
United States
Faith
Judaism
Marital Status
Married
Math, as we know it, originated in what is now Iraq. We still hang on to the Babylonian base-60 system when we work with hours, minutes, and seconds.

Don't forget circles! (degrees)

• Agree
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know when you were there, but I wonder, does the school have any collective memory that it was considered the birthplace of "the free speech movement"? Is there at least a plaque on a wall or anything? I think they need to put up a plaque, lol.

When I was there (a while ago, now), there was a gigantic free speech display on the wall.

• Informative
Reactions: Chesterton
Upvote 0

Radagast

comes and goes
Site Supporter
Dec 10, 2003
✟312,047.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Don't forget circles! (degrees)

They are exactly the same Babylonian base-60 system as hours/minutes/seconds, following a Greek tradition of doing astronomical work base-60 in Babylonian style.

But, of course, it's the number that matters, not the base you use.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums